Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coachman 26DS

Greetings all, I'm downsizing this Winter and considering a coachmen 260DS. I'm thinking about a Chevy chassis because of increased leg room in the cab area. Any info anyone can give me on quality, storage, handling, or anything else you think I should know would be appreciated. Thanks...........Bruce
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 AM   #2

Hi

I will sent you a private message shortly

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
Greetings all, I'm downsizing this Winter and considering a coachmen 260DS. I'm thinking about a Chevy chassis because of increased leg room in the cab area. Any info anyone can give me on quality, storage, handling, or anything else you think I should know would be appreciated. Thanks...........Bruce
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

We bought a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS last fall and we really like it. Handling wise it seems a little shaky at first then I read the owners manual which states that the first 2K to 3K it will seem drifty, however, now we have over 4K on it there doesn't seem to be a problem. I do think heavy duty shocks in the front end would make it handle better. I travel at highway speeds of 65+ and it handles well. Our previous rig was an Itasca Horizon 40' DP and the Leprechaun handles much better. I find it quite relaxing compared to the big bus. The quality of the Leprechaun is nice and comparable to our Horizon which was a top of the line class A. The Ford E450 has plenty of power and in tow mode towing our 2015 Subaru Forester it does a great job. The chevy has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs and the Ford 450 will tow 7500 lbs. The Ford also has more cargo capacity. I haven't driven a Chevy model so I can say from experience what the difference between the Chevy and Ford chassis would be. Best bet would be to test drive both. Good Luck and Happy Camping
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are early in the search for our first class C. Want to be in the 27-29' range and liked the layout of the Leprechaun. Also liked the THOR 28Z or 29G. Do you have any comparison thoughts? Ford or Chevy for better legroom as I am 6'6". Thanks !!
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Don't want to turn this into my ford is better than your chevy contest.
But for me hands down the Chevy ,,, has better leg room, feet room , dog house doesn't get as hot as on the fords.
Plus the front suspension is designed better , instead of that funky fords twin I-beam.
Both my older Chevy chassis MH's I had drove night and day difference better then this newer ford chassis MH does...

The Chevy will be about 6-9 inches longer but that's where you get the more cab room from...
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #6

Some of the differences between the Chevy V-8 and the Ford V-10 is: chevy has 324 hp with torque of 373 and a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs, the Ford has 305 hp and torque of 420 and a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. We have a 2017 Leprechaun 260DS with the Ford E450 and love it. We tow a 2015 Subaru Forester manual trans 4 wheels down and it does a great job. Love the towing mode on the 6 spd trans as it handles the steep grades with easy especially steep down grades works as good as a diesel with engine brake. I haven't had any problems with the dog house getting hot at all. Our previous motorhome was a 40' Horizon 40KD and leprechaun handles so much better. I haven't driven a Chevy Leprechaun so I can't tell you how the Chevy handles but I like the better torque and higher towing capacity of the Ford. The suspension seems fine rides almost as good as our previous DP. The Leprechaun also has auto leveling jacks and adjustable air shocks in the rear. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looked a new Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS actually - really liked the floorplan!
Can you tell me what other units you considered? We have been planning this purchase for some time and will be doing some 2-4 week trips all over US. In the good/better/best of manufacturers where does Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS rate? Have had rental fleet units over the years that were nice and new, but a bit creaky and loud road noise. Liked the ISATA 4 25FW also.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #8

Just picked up our 260DS. We too most liked the floorplan and features such as dusl batteries, large LP tank, and large fresh water tank. We also went for the leveling jacks. They are awesome!

Our last two RVs were (are...still have one) Arctic Foxes. While the Leprechaun build quality seems OK so far it isn't close to the Arctic Fox. And I am discovering some minor but idiotic things like putting the water drain valves behind a panel you have to unscrew, swapping white and black on the water input connections, and using a hose connection for fresh water tank fill. Many (80%?) of the places we fill our water don't use threaded connections and the screen prevents inserting the nozzle.

Mine came with one significant build glitch that I can't see how they or my dealer let by: you can see daylight around part of the rear slide when it is open. The dealer is going to fix it but something that trivial shouldn't happen.

I'm also not sure the AC actually works. But so far I've only tried it in the sun with outside temps above 100: that might be expecting too much. They offer a larger capicity AC which you might consider if you live in the south. It isn't a big deal for us as we rarely need it in Idaho.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #9

Other Units etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Looked a new Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS actually - really liked the floorplan!
Can you tell me what other units you considered? We have been planning this purchase for some time and will be doing some 2-4 week trips all over US. In the good/better/best of manufacturers where does Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS rate? Have had rental fleet units over the years that were nice and new, but a bit creaky and loud road noise. Liked the ISATA 4 25FW also.
We looked at many makes and models. We limited ourselves by size and layouts. We wanted 27ft or less because we camp a lot in National Parks and NF camgrounds, which are mostly length challenged. We also wanted dual recliners and large water, lp, and battery capacity, and four season capability (got the camp cozy option on the 26DS). Those pretty much limited us to the Leprechaun.

We have owned many RVs. We consider Arctic Fox the top of the line and Springdale and Coleman the lower end. The Leprechaun seems to us middle of the road: on a par with Lance, Winnebago, etc. If Arctic Fox made a motorhome we'd probbly have gone there.

The Leprechaun is much quieter than our old Minnie Winnie. The F450 struggled a little on the mountain passes as I brought it home from Montana today but the tow/haul mode on the downhills was almost as good as on my RAM 2500 diesel (which also has exhaust braking). I think it is a six speed transmission like my RAM. And I was towing a jeep Patriot. After a couple hundred miles it began to feel pretty good to drive.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #10

We looked at Mimi Winnie's, another Coachmen, a View G , and liked the Leprechaun best. We liked the floorplan the best, really liked the quality of the interior woodwork/cabinets, the auto leveling jacks, and cargo capacity with the E450 Ford. We were Winnebago people owning 2 previous class A diesels but found the quality lacking except for the View. We didn't got with the View as I didn't want a MD as their diesels are expensive to maintain, didn't want to deal with DEF, etc.. Really like the Ford E450 lots of power and towing capacity. Enjoy and Happy RVing
Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

My wife and I are looking at the 260DS as well. We have only been able to see a Chevy, but want a Ford. Here are our thoughts:

Good Things

- Azdel wall substrate
- great wheelbase/length ratio
- 80" bed
- 12 CF fridge option
- dual pane window option
- recliner seats option
- flush stovetop cover
- no window for a bed headboard
- no carpet

Concern

- Drivers Seat: I fit in the Chevy fine but had heard of Ford issues if you are tall, I am 6' 4". The only Coachmen dealer I have visited did not have a Ford 260DS, but did have one of the longer model Leprechauns with a slide just behind the driver's seat. My original concern was that the driver's seat would not go all the back because it would hit the slide-in fascia board. I was prepared to cut the fascia board and create a removable or hinged section for driving, but wanted to see if even that would be far back enough.

What I am about to explain my just be because of my ignorance about how the seat swivel mechanism works, so keep that in mind. When I went to the longer Ford model, the seat was swiveled to face the living area. Without sitting in the seat, I pulled a yellow lever at the bottom front center of the seat and rotated it to face the front. I did not know how the swivel latch worked and could not get it to click locked, so I left it loose but still pointing strait ahead. With the seat all the way back I was surprised that I had enough leg room. However, the seat appeared to be mounted at least 4" off center of the steering wheel toward the centerline of the vehicle. This felt really odd to me and I don't think I could drive like that. I did not pursue the issue but now I think it must be that the swivel mechanism not only turns on a single axis as you would expect, but also slides laterally toward the driver door and may not lock until you slide it. If anyone has a Ford 260DS, do you feel you are directly behind the steering wheel?

thanks for any ideas,
Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #12

"SlideHome", I don't have a 260 but have a 311FS with swivel seats. I can tell you that from what you wrote, when you turned the seats around you did not lock them in place. This is why it was out of center. When locked, they are not off center. FYI.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #13

Tha above answer is correct. When the drivers/passengers seat is forward and locked in position it is directly in line with the steering wheel. I have a 2017 Leprechaun 260DS and I love it.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #14

Does the mattress have to be folded up in order to bring the slide in? (Leprechaun 260DS)
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote