Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Question Coachmen Concord - No Power

Hello, all - My first post.

We're looking at a 2012 Coachmen Concord 300 TS, well cared for. Yet, in a test drive, it had no power whatsoever climbing a highway grade (a long hill, not a mountain). Couldn't kick it even to 50 mph. Lots of noise and engine strain. A diagnostic showed no problems. Service tech drove it and basically said the engine is what it is. Chassis is a Ford E-450 SD V10 6.8L, 305HP, with just under 50K miles.

Hard to imagine driving this over mountains, or even towing a Jeep. We also test-drove another rv (new-2015, same size and weight, same engine) and it took the hills quite nicely.

Do other Concord owners have the same lack-of-power issue?
Is it likely that other 2012 Concords will exhibit the same problem, or might this be unique to this unit (meaning, there's a problem not showing up on the diagnostic)?
Would it have to do with the 2-valve engine (as opposed to the 3-valve typical in class A gassers)?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The service technician is blowing smoke. I'm no expert but

there is definitely a problem somewhere in there.
As for the two valve and three valve question that is because the engine compartment of a class c is tighter.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Get another opinion, Something definitely wrong...
Old 04-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

I had a 2009 Concord Ford v10 and it had plenty of power
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

We have a 2013 Greyhawk on a 2012 Ford e450 with 2 valve v10. We have plenty of power. You are not going to go 70 up a hill. Ours will drop from 60 - 50 on a mild hill but pick up speed on the down side. The v10 does screen in the up side. Might put in a 5 star to resolve the issue.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Aguyfromcalg;2526226] The service technician is blowing smoke. I'm no expert but there is definitely a problem somewhere in there.

Thank you for your reply. Hate to say it, but sounds like hot air to make a sale.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
Get another opinion, Something definitely wrong...

Thank you. The unit is lovely, but under the hood... apparently not so much.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I had a 2009 Concord Ford v10 and it had plenty of power

Good to hear that. Thanks much.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
We have a 2013 Greyhawk on a 2012 Ford e450 with 2 valve v10. We have plenty of power. You are not going to go 70 up a hill. Ours will drop from 60 - 50 on a mild hill but pick up speed on the down side. The v10 does screen in the up side. Might put in a 5 star to resolve the issue.

Plenty of power -- or at least enough power -- is what I expected to find in the Concord. Having it chug along at 65, then face a hill and drop well below 50, screaming and churning (had to nearly shout over the noise)... well, the struggle just didn't feel right. Since we're a long way from having engine expertise, I'll have to look up what is meant by a 5-star. I appreciate hearing about your Greyhawk and the same engine; as I understand it, the V10 has been a well-liked powerhorse for its usage. Thanks much.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

OP here. We've decided not to pursue this particular unit. The engine worries us, and seems to concern those who replied to my question on here as well as our sales rep; it was he who suggested a diagnostic. We definitely need some power for mountainous driving, so we'll simply keep looking. Maybe the hunt should move toward a smaller class A, and diesel. This would be our first rv, so there is much to think about. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many discussions on here about the high revving Ford V10 and the two engine tunes that many say helps. 5 Star and Brazzels (sp)

I own a class c with a V10 and no longer panic when it screams while going up a hill.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
There are many discussions on here about the high revving Ford V10 and the two engine tunes that many say helps. 5 Star and Brazzels (sp) I own a class c with a V10 and no longer panic when it screams while going up a hill.

We might have considered the screaming and loss of power as normal, had we not immediately driven another rv (albeit new) with the identical engine specs and virtually the same length and weight, which cruised right up the hills like a champ. Also if the Concord were ours to begin with, we'd certainly keep and deal with it (engine tunes or such, as you wrote), but given that it would be our first, we remain very hesitant, and are continuing our search. Thanks for the encouragement and happy travels!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #13

I have a 2008 Concord with the V10. Took a trip from Florida to the Grand Canyon last summer towing a 2005 Chevy Colorado. I had plenty of power to handle the grades I encountered. I regularly take short trips without the tow vehicle and easily maintain 70 mph on the interstate

Tags
coachmen, power