Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Coachmen Orion or Dynamax Rev-Promaster?

I really like the layout of the rear bath/side dinette Orion or Rev. I would like to know if anyone owns or has experience with either on the Promaster cutaway chassis? Specifically...
1. Handling and driveability
2. Actual weight and load carry capacity
3. Actual max. towing ability
4. Build quality impressions
5. Concerns, don't likes, disappointments

(edit) Also, what's the holding tank setup? One black and one gray? Any transfer pumping involved?

Thank you
(I'm also seeking any info on the Ford Transit version)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coachmen Orion or Dynamax Rev-Promaster?

I don't own one but did look at one in person and talked with the supervisor on the production line for the Rev on the promaster chassis. He was very friendly and was willing to even have a modification made at my request. (I wanted a 2 couch setup in the front and also still the loft bed.

The main concern I had was the location of the holding tanks and single axle puts it almost at carrying capacity before it is even loaded with supplies.

The weight on front is 3336 and rear is 4947, that leaves cargo at about 1000 lbs but the gotcha is that the rear axle capacity is 5291. Getting that weight on the front axle instead is a challenge.

I sure wish it had rear duals. He said that they are looking at options to increase the capacity of the rear axle by 1,000 but I've not seen any indication that production units have changed yet.

The roof is a rubber roof rather than fiberglass. FYI.

In the end, I purchased a used 2008 Winnebago view in excellent shape due to these concerns as well as greater towing capacity sufficient to pull a Chevy tracker that we own when we want to.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

I have the Orion...built on the ProMaster 3500 cab. It handles extremely well, and has a great turning radius. I average about 15mpg when on the road. As far as tanks go, has a grey, black and fresh water. Has a tank flush valve for cleaning black tank. Towing capacity is limited to 2,000 lbs.

Only issue I anticipate is with the location of the generator...only accessible from underneath the vehicle.

Minor problems so far...propane tank indicator is not functioning properly...always reads full...found out the hard way. lol

I love it so far...bought it last year.
Catev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

I'm answering my own questions. Once the Orion came out on the Transit chassis, we got a '17 in October. The dealer and factory specs were unsure about towing capability. So far, the Transit with gas V6 is handling a good load and towing a Smart car just fine and getting upward of 13 mpg at 1500 miles on unit.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great to hear. I probably would have bought it on the transit with rear duals.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

You got a very nice purchase in the View. We bought an 07 new. The only downside is wind sensitivity, but all things considered it still is our favorite. Unfortunately
we sold it for a used Class A. Wish we had not.
Spudmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmart View Post
You got a very nice purchase in the View. We bought an 07 new. The only downside is wind sensitivity, but all things considered it still is our favorite. Unfortunately
we sold it for a used Class A. Wish we had not.

Thanks. We indeed like it a lot.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #8

Smile Coachmen Orion

I too am looking for a Transit based mh. I was just looking at the Orion 20cb Saturday. My wife and I loved it right away. But the salesman kept pointing us to larger sprinter based Prisms. He said you are going to want more power. But those all have slides and I don't want that additional hassle of extra weight and the leaks that I have heard about. We are small, only 5'2" and 5'6" so that is not an issue. My question is if the engine is strong enough for you and how you are liking after a while longer of owning it? The price is right where we like also. The prisms are $20,000.00 more, which I'm ok with if they came in a slide less model. Thanks for any info you can give!
Fjcjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
My question is if the engine is strong enough for you and how you are liking after a while longer of owning it? !
This is my question, too! My wife and I are very intrigued by the Transit based motorhomes. The cheaper-than-a-sprinter diesel engines are intriguing but man I don't like to spend money so the V6's are even more intriguing. I just can't find a lot of folks talking about how the engine functions out there in the real world. If it's towing a SMART, I guess it's doing all right...
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Cool I've been looking for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
This is my question, too! My wife and I are very intrigued by the Transit based motorhomes. The cheaper-than-a-sprinter diesel engines are intriguing but man I don't like to spend money so the V6's are even more intriguing. I just can't find a lot of folks talking about how the engine functions out there in the real world. If it's towing a SMART, I guess it's doing all right...
I have been looking at class c's since the beginning of the year. All we could find were ford v10's and diesel engines. I didn't want a small rv with low mpg. I also didn't want to pay a big premium for diesel, then have the high maintenance to go with it. Then I found the Orion line while browsing online one day. I couldn't find any listed online close to my area. So Saturday I bit the bullet and traveled 200 miles to see one. Both of us knew immediately that it was the one we were looking for. We didn't drive it. But we inspected everything on it. Then the sales guy kept wanting us to look at the Prisms. I won't lie they are very nice! But not what we were looking for. We are definitely getting the Orion 20CB. I just want to hear how owners feel about it.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
We are definitely getting the Orion 20CB. I just want to hear how owners feel about it.
I feel the exact same way. Liked the Winnie Trends when they came out but not sure about the Promaster chassis for comfort / looks. I like the little transit cab, feel physically comfortable in it, etc. We have been looking at the Orion and are also intrigued with the 20cb floorplan that they offer now on the transit in the Coachman Freelander trim. I think they look pretty neat. Like the old Rialtas. Just can't find owner experience and would like to before pulling the trigger.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is an owner of a Winnebago fuse on the transit chassis that is on this forum. He is very pleased with it and has owned for about a year now.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 AM   #13

Thumbs up More on Orion

Quote:
I feel the exact same way. Liked the Winnie Trends when they came out but not sure about the Promaster chassis for comfort / looks. I like the little transit cab, feel physically comfortable in it, etc. We have been looking at the Orion and are also intrigued with the 20cb floorplan that they offer now on the transit in the Coachman Freelander trim. I think they look pretty neat. Like the old Rialtas. Just can't find owner experience and would like to before pulling the trigger.
I agree with you on the Freelander. It is made on the same line and has the exact floor plan. From what I have read it does not have as many bells and whistles as the Orion. Such as back and side cameras are not standard. Some of the equipment and appliances are of lesser grade. The MSRP is about $7000.00 less. And the average internet prices reflect about the same discount. I cannot find one in stock anywhere within 500 miles of my area. That being said, I would probably get that if they were available in my area. We found a few things we would upgrade in the Orion just in the first walk through. It's the floor plan and Transit chassis that we love.
If you click on Two2go's heading you can find all of his posts. He actually has a small blog on the Orion 24RB that he bought. It has a section on the Transit and how he feels about the 3.7L engine and chassis.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #14

Orion 20cb info

Quote:
TandCplusRV
I went back to the dealer yesterday. I had to go through each Orion and Prism just to make sure what floor plan worked best for us and what price made the most sense for what we were looking for. Both get about 13 to 15 mpg. With both being rather small. I just couldn't justify the $20000.00 extra for the Sprinter chassis. Plus I took into account what I have read about the Mercedes maintenance requirements.
The only other Orion floorplan I liked was the 24rb with the power lowering queen bed. Which they didn't have. Just a 24rb with twin couches that have power head raising feature. They had moved the 20cb to display with the drivers side facing the interstate. We went inside and still said that is what we wanted. I just wanted to get behind the wheel and see how it performed. So they had a porter move it into the driveway. That is when we saw they knocked off $7000.00 since last weekend.
So we took it out for a 25 mile test drive. Some city driving, some interstate driving and some winding , hilly back roads. Great power great handling. Drove as good as my 16 Tacoma. Told the salesman to knock off $7000.00 more and we'll take it. They did. And we now own an Orion 20cb. Paid 32% off MSRP. Which is below any new advertised new Freelander I have seen. Plus mine has $8000.00 in nice options.
I hope you at least test drive it and see how you like it.

Tags
coachmen