Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Coachmen Orion or Dynamax Rev-Promaster?

I really like the layout of the rear bath/side dinette Orion or Rev. I would like to know if anyone owns or has experience with either on the Promaster cutaway chassis? Specifically...
1. Handling and driveability
2. Actual weight and load carry capacity
3. Actual max. towing ability
4. Build quality impressions
5. Concerns, don't likes, disappointments

(edit) Also, what's the holding tank setup? One black and one gray? Any transfer pumping involved?

Thank you
(I'm also seeking any info on the Ford Transit version)

'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coachmen Orion or Dynamax Rev-Promaster?

I don't own one but did look at one in person and talked with the supervisor on the production line for the Rev on the promaster chassis. He was very friendly and was willing to even have a modification made at my request. (I wanted a 2 couch setup in the front and also still the loft bed.

The main concern I had was the location of the holding tanks and single axle puts it almost at carrying capacity before it is even loaded with supplies.

The weight on front is 3336 and rear is 4947, that leaves cargo at about 1000 lbs but the gotcha is that the rear axle capacity is 5291. Getting that weight on the front axle instead is a challenge.

I sure wish it had rear duals. He said that they are looking at options to increase the capacity of the rear axle by 1,000 but I've not seen any indication that production units have changed yet.

The roof is a rubber roof rather than fiberglass. FYI.

In the end, I purchased a used 2008 Winnebago view in excellent shape due to these concerns as well as greater towing capacity sufficient to pull a Chevy tracker that we own when we want to.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
I have the Orion...built on the ProMaster 3500 cab. It handles extremely well, and has a great turning radius. I average about 15mpg when on the road. As far as tanks go, has a grey, black and fresh water. Has a tank flush valve for cleaning black tank. Towing capacity is limited to 2,000 lbs.

Only issue I anticipate is with the location of the generator...only accessible from underneath the vehicle.

Minor problems so far...propane tank indicator is not functioning properly...always reads full...found out the hard way. lol

I love it so far...bought it last year.
Catev is offline   Reply With Quote