Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Coachmen Prism or Similar

I am interested in buying a smallish Class C RV, I have looked at several in the 21-25 foot range, I am most interested in a diesel with a Mercedes Benz chassis, so that narrows the search, I keep looking at the Coachman Prism. I am interested in opinions from those that have them as well as others that have similar models in the same class, like the Winnebago View etc. I'd like the choice to be easy to drive set up at parks etc. anxious to hear the pros and cons, thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #2

There are 2 of us that I know of on this forum with 2015 Prisms. After a decade we went from a Roadtrek B to the "B+". Haven't logged many miles in the Prism yet, just got it in the fall. Looked at many other similar rigs, opted on the Prism due to build quality and floorplan. Few minor issues so far, but to be expected no matter what you get. Sprinter chassis is a proven platform, need to figure out what your coach needs will be. Feel free to ask further questions! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, this model, 24g with the queen bed in the rear and two slides seems to be the best fit for me, a solo traveler with a dog. How is the ride on the highway? Is it fairly smooth and easy to maneuver hopefully? It's a big decision for me, but it seems to be a good choice size wise. Thanks, any pros and cons would help.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

We specifically opted for a floorplan that allowed the bed to be fully functional WITHOUT having to deploy a slide, since we often "boondock" at truck stops, Walmarts, etc. Rides very nice - good pep. I find it easy to maneuver, but I also drive 40,000 pound fire apparatus... We are setting up our Subaru as a "toad", since the rig is larger than our previous van. Sometimes it was tough finding adequate parking when we visited sites with the 20' van, so rather than do that fight we will have a tow car now. Any of the "B+" rigs are plenty large enough for solo with a dog - my DW and I spent over 3 months in our "B" with a 70 pound dog - we don't know what to do with all the room in the Prism! 8^) ST

Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the info, do you have the 24 J model with the bed in the back on the left side, a double versus the queen bed? Do you have a sofa or a booth in the front?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

I am going to mention it even though it is not on a sprinter chassis but on the Ford Transit diesel chassis. Have you taken a look at the Winnebago Fuse? It is 23 feet long and a little smaller than the view. Twin beds in the back on the 23a model which is what I have. No need to extend the slide for it to be usable so boondocking is easy. Very easy to drive since it is so small and it is a little less expensive than the View. Not saying it is perfect but might be worth looking at. I was about to buy the View until I saw the Fuse.

Don
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidie View Post
Thanks so much for the info, do you have the 24 J model with the bed in the back on the left side, a double versus the queen bed? Do you have a sofa or a booth in the front?
Howdy - yes, the 24J has the corner bed. It is longer than the queen (a big plus for me - I'm 6'+), we fit fine, including 35 pounds of hound! Our previous class B Roadtrek had a "California King" bed that we left assembled all the time - wider but shorter. DW likes this arrangement better, as she now sleeps against the BR (interior) wall, not an outside wall - so she is warmer (we travel in all seasons...).

We got the U-shaped dinette, not the couch, in the street side slide, which was what we wanted. So far we have been able to seat 4 at the table for dessert - really not too snug. 3 fit very well, with the passenger seat spun around (drivers seat will, also, just didn't need to...), very comfy for 4 for an evening visit.

Coach is fully usable with slide retracted - galley, bath, dinette, storage all accessible EXCEPT 1 cabinet over the drivers head. Hope this helps! We hope to be back on the road with it within the next couple of weeks. ST

Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #8

Thanks for all the great perspective, I'm leaning towards the 24J as well, bed isn't as wide, but it comes with a Serta mattress and as you kindly reminded me, you don't have to have the slide out to hop in bed, great point! Also I think I prefer the booth rather than love seat, more functional, plus the J is a bit less expensive. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Can't wait to hit the road in the summer!
Thanks for the info, partner, happy travels!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

I am leaning towards the corner bed floorplan, because it does not have a wall alongside the dinette, therefore offering a more opened space.
But DW is afraid she will feel "cornered" sleeping alongside the shower wall, specially if there's no window overhead.

All CB floorplan have beds 49" to 51" wide bed. I wish they had 54", like a real twin bed It would ease her claustrophobia!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
I am leaning towards the corner bed floorplan, because it does not have a wall alongside the dinette, therefore offering a more opened space.
But DW is afraid she will feel "cornered" sleeping alongside the shower wall, specially if there's no window overhead.

All CB floorplan have beds 49" to 51" wide bed. I wish they had 54", like a real twin bed It would ease her claustrophobia!
Our Prism 24J has a 52x80 bed - a little more width might be nice, but this is fine. I particularly appreciate the length, allows the ability to stretch out and not hit the end wall! The BR wall is only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the bed, so there is still plenty of room to sit on the edge of the bed to swing into bed. Link to floorplan: Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes
ST

Old 04-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Prism 2200LE

Aloha. We've bought a 2017 Prism 2200LE after reviewing all the various floor plans. Haven't picked it up yet. We'll be traveling with our 2 chocolate labs.
The Mercedes diesel and the slide out with TV panel separating bed and dinette were the reasons we chose this model.
We'd appreciate any words of advice....
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Rose View Post
Aloha. We've bought a 2017 Prism 2200LE after reviewing all the various floor plans. Haven't picked it up yet. We'll be traveling with our 2 chocolate labs.

The Mercedes diesel and the slide out with TV panel separating bed and dinette were the reasons we chose this model.

We'd appreciate any words of advice....

I viewed this model online and it looks good, I haven't picked mine up yet either, so let us know how you like it and I will do the same, best of luck!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Howdy - yes, the 24J has the corner bed. It is longer than the queen (a big plus for me - I'm 6'+), we fit fine, including 35 pounds of hound! Our previous class B Roadtrek had a "California King" bed that we left assembled all the time - wider but shorter. DW likes this arrangement better, as she now sleeps against the BR (interior) wall, not an outside wall - so she is warmer (we travel in all seasons...).

We got the U-shaped dinette, not the couch, in the street side slide, which was what we wanted. So far we have been able to seat 4 at the table for dessert - really not too snug. 3 fit very well, with the passenger seat spun around (drivers seat will, also, just didn't need to...), very comfy for 4 for an evening visit.

Coach is fully usable with slide retracted - galley, bath, dinette, storage all accessible EXCEPT 1 cabinet over the drivers head. Hope this helps! We hope to be back on the road with it within the next couple of weeks. ST

You really helped me make a decision towards the 24J because of the idea that it's very usable with the slide retracted, I didn't like the rear bed that was unusable unless you put out the rear slide, that was a deal breaker for me, thanks for the great advice!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #14

Glad to help! Weather still not cooperating in our area, so not traveling yet... Have most of my projects completed on it now to make it work for us!!! Now to hit the road for this season! Hope you can get yours soon! ST

Tags
coachmen