Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

comfortable place for dogs while in transit?

We have two Jack Russell Terriers-love of our lifes (and just one of the reasons we are planning to mostly dry camp instead of staying in the campgrounds). Typically they travel in absolute comfort in my Subaru Outback. They are asleep and happy in the perfectly soft and cosy place specifically created for them in the back. They know their place and do not bother us in the front seats. I have no idea where are they going to stay while we travel in our new RV. I thought of bringing crates but they do not fit under table and there is no other place in the RV to create this special place for them to relax and sleep.

What do you do with your dog while in transit? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we travel we make the table and booth into a bed for the dogs. Cover it with some old blankets and the dogs sleep there. The front of the booth keeps them from sliding/flying in case of an emergency stop.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoss
We have two Jack Russell Terriers-love of our lifes (and just one of the reasons we are planning to mostly dry camp instead of staying in the campgrounds). Typically they travel in absolute comfort in my Subaru Outback. They are asleep and happy in the perfectly soft and cosy place specifically created for them in the back. They know their place and do not bother us in the front seats. I have no idea where are they going to stay while we travel in our new RV. I thought of bringing crates but they do not fit under table and there is no other place in the RV to create this special place for them to relax and sleep.

What do you do with your dog while in transit? Any ideas will be appreciated.

When driving, my bichon rides on the couch directly behind driver's seat. The couch is bolted to the floor and has seatbelts. So I put her into a "travel harness" and attach that to a couch seatbelt. This way she is secure with room to move around comfortably, look out the window, etc. And MOST importantly, she won't become airborne in the event of an accident or other incident.

Have a great time with your pups and RV. :-)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Our Golden rides either between the 2 front seats on the floor or we pull the chairs back at the dinette and he sleeps between them on the carpet.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Our Mountain Cur and our Fox Terrier/Poodle have dog beds they use in the house. When we travel we take the beds with us as they know that wherever we put their beds is their place. Works in the Coach, in motels and at homes of friends and relatives. Don't plan to use the two latter now that we have the Coach.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our spoiled fat cat sleeps anywhere she wants, or so says the DW.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

Sadie sleeps on the couch behind the passengers seat.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #8

For us I guess that it depends on how they feel. Sometimes the older one will be either on the couch behind the drivers seat or on the hard wood floor where it is cooler. The young one can be found on the couch, if the older one is NOT on it, on the floor between the two front seats or sleeping on the queen size bed in the back. If we take the MH any place they are with us. They love to travel. There are times that the young one will be sitting between the front seats watching out the windshield. There have been times when she even growls that wild life that we see on the road.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Shelby my Old Lab sleeps on the couch behind the passenger seat with her favorite pillow she loves to travel. I won't have many years left with her companionship and she will break my heart when she passes on. :(
Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #10

both on the floor when we travel
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would suggest you take a test drive with your pups before you actually startout on a trip. Take the soft bedding out of your Outback and place it in your RV. Under the dinette might work well and be out of the way.

A test will let you see how they handle the RV. Many well dogs who are good car travelers get nervous in an RV. There is a huge difference in the amount of road noise.

Have fun!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #12

Riley our 10 year old Rottie Mix sleeps/rides/hides/shivers under the dinette most of the time and Heidi our 1 year old White German Shepard sleeps all sprawled out on the leather sofa (spoiled brat) behind the drivers seat.

The difference between the two is that Heidi grew up in an RV always traveling and Riley thinks your house should not move like this.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #13

Sadie could always tell when I was packing up to come home from the dunes when I had my 5th wheel toy hauler. She would prance to my pickup truck passenger door and watch every move I made. Now, with the motor home, everything is entirely different. I load my sand rail and put away non-essentials the night before. The only thing I have to do is raise my jacks and store the pads(didn't use jacks and pads on the 5er). Somehow, she still knows we're going home and goes to the front of my MH and won't come to me at the side door. She's funny.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let the Terriers tell you where they want to be. Take a test drive long enough for them to settle. When they do note where it is then work to fix it so it is comfortable and as safe as possible. If it doesn't work out then pick a spot and do your best.

Our Springer rides in the large foot well right in front of the passenger seat. Occassionally he rises and hops onto the seat with my wife (it is a larger seat optioned offered when we bought the rig). When he does we generally stop for a break and let him walk and do his thing.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote