Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Compact Class C RV's All The Same?

Howdy everybody,

New member here. I've been looking and researching compact class c RV's (class b's as well) for quite a while now. I'll be retiring by the end of the year and will be looking to buy, well, something in the compact c/b arena.

Is it just me, or do most of the compact class c RV's all look generally the same (especially on Sprinter chassis's)? I mean, even the general floor plans all look extremely similar, with the same slide out orientations and setups (left side lounge slide, full left side slide, rear slide for queen beds, etc).

I hate to say it but even the exteriors are starting to all blend together to the point where one manufacturer doesn't stand out from another. It's like all the manufacturers are in cahoots with one another, and produce cookie cutter RV's (if I didn't know better I'd swear they all come off the same line, with the final stage being someone placing different brand logos on them). Of course, the same goes for class b's as well.

Is there a manufacturer out there that really stands out and is breaking the mold, or am I stuck in deciding on an RV based on build reputation, general quality/fit/finish, and amenities?

The only one that I've seen so far that seems to break the mold a tiny bit is LTV, and in looking at those I've found some quality/fit/finish issues, even though I've read a lot of positive things about them.

Anybody have any recommendations for a lookie loo looking to buy sometime early next year? I'm lost in a sea of RV's and need to make a course correction.

Thanks for any input.
SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

SuperJoe-

What do you mean when you say "compact Class C?"

Are you restricting yourself to the Sprinter chassis, or is the more traditional Ford E-series chassis in your definition?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

Well Super Joe you are 98% right , not 2cents worth of difference in most all class C or B's and the price seems to be the same way .I too have been looking for months and they all seem to use the same everything , and yes you would think they came out of the same plant with just the name glued on at the end of the line.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Major differences we have noted are with the OCCC (occupant/cargo carrying capacity.) Pay close attention to the yellow sticker inside the driver's door. Some Sprinters have as little as 500 pounds capacity, which means with two adults and a week's supply of beer you will be overweight.

Also, the Jayco/Entegra RVs have a 2-year warranty which is a year longer than most. Happy shopping.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think there are tremendous differences in the Sprinter based models. The chassis may be similar but implementation varies considerably. Some, like Winnebago, have perfected lighter construction techniques to increase the OCCC without loss of comfort and style. Others use heavy chassis components and particle board cabinets which add unneeded weight to the coach.

It's all in the details and technology with the Sprinters.

As for the traditional Class Cs it really comes down to fit, finish, and warranty service by the company and dealer, IMHO.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

Have you looked at Coachhouse?
islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

Hi l1v3fr33ord1

By "compact class c" I'm referring to coaches such as the Tiffin Wayfarer, Renegade Vienna or Villagio, Winnie View/Navion, that sort of thing. I don't really see a whole lot of difference in these coaches (at least viewing on the web), and those I've actually looked at in person seem to all have the same general construction qualities, most of which I'm not very impressed with (perhaps my expectations are too high).

I haven't truly looked at anything with a Ford "E" chassis yet, and the Ford Transit chassis doesn't appear to be that wide spread at this point in time, at least from what I've found on the web and in person.

That leaves the majority that I've viewed, web or in person, to be on Sprinter chassis's, hence the rant about the lack of "unique-ability" between these class c's. It just seems like everyone is doing the same old thing. I wish we'd see more innovation, but I suppose they are limited by what chassis they are dealing with, and the need to try and keep cost low.

I'm am considering Gulfstream, specifically the BT Cruiser, specifically because it's on a Ford "E" chassis, and I know that LTV makes one on a Transit chassis. To tell you the truth I'm a little scared of the Sprinter diesel, simply because of emissions problems that I've read, and the lack of Sprinter dealer servicing while out across the country. Perhaps that fear is unfounded, and maybe I'm just reading too many negatives about them, but logic tells me to stick with a Ford chassis because every town probably has a Ford dealer (I don't mean to beat that particular topic to death).

In short I guess for mean it's all about as much quality I can get for the massive amount of money they seem to want for these things, and no, I don't really want to purchase used (it's just not my thing for some reason - spoiled I guess).

Best Regards to all.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The new Tiffin Wayfarer may be of interest. Tiffins record if good customer support is a plus.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The new Tiffin Wayfarer may be of interest. Tiffins record if good customer support is a plus.
Or maybe not. OCCC of a Wayfarer we looked at last week... 672 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4927.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	203855  
Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

SuperJoe-

If you want quality and uniqueness, you should look at the Lazy Daze. We owned a 1998 mid-bath. All three lengths (24- , 27- and 31-foot) are built on the Ford E-450 chassis.

Plenty of OCCC, too. See the last page of the specs.

Lazy Daze Motorhomes - Photo Gallery
Lazy Daze Motorhomes - Pricing and Specs

Don't be put off by the "crude" Web site; they don't spend a lot of money on it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Or maybe not. OCCC of a Wayfarer we looked at last week... 672 pounds.
Wow. That’s pretty darn limiting. I think I looked at a few B vans that have more capacity than that. Is this low OCCC the fault of the Sprinter chassis itself?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
SuperJoe-

If you want quality and uniqueness, you should look at the Lazy Daze. We owned a 1998 mid-bath. All three lengths (24- , 27- and 31-foot) are built on the Ford E-450 chassis.

Plenty of OCCC, too. See the last page of the specs.

Lazy Daze Motorhomes - Photo Gallery
Lazy Daze Motorhomes - Pricing and Specs

Don't be put off by the "crude" Web site; they don't spend a lot of money on it.
Well I’m certainly not put off by their web site. I’ve glanced at these before. No offense intended, but that type design is just a little too boxy looking for me. I hold no ill will to anyone with the type, but it seems just a tad too large. I shall continue my quest.

Since my taste seems to favor the compact class c, and they all seem to use the same design, it will ultimately come down to fit, finish and build quality. If your a compact class c owner, please comment if possible on how happy you are with the aforementioned fit/finish/quality of your coach.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Well just for gits & shiggles...
Something mebbe a bit different.......
At Least the Quality is included.....

Foretravel Motorcoach - 2018 Foretravel MicroVilla
Foretravel Motorcoach - 2018 Foretravel MicroVilla
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbum561 View Post
Have you looked at Coachhouse?
Hmmm, haven’t hecked them out yet.

I did, however, just check out Coachmen, which is what I originally thought you meant (my bad). While my original general comments about “non uniqueness” still holds true for their Prism, at least the Orion is on a Ford Transit chassis. They deserve another look from me.

Since it appears you’re a Coachhouse owner, or former owner as the case may be, any comments on their build quality, durability, etc? I will check them out as well. More choices out there than I originally thought.

Thanks folks.

Tags
class c, rvs