Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Compare motorhomes

We are thinking about a class C motorhome and need to hear some opinions.
We've had :
1 Diesel pusher...Plazzo 36'
1 class A gas...Georgetown 315DS
1 pickup camper...Fun Finder
2 travel trailers...Flagstaff Micro Lite 25' & 30' Forgot brand
1 pop up camper we pulled with a Gold Wing motorcycle

We like the floorplan of the Forest River Sunseeker 3010DS and Coachman Leprechaun 319DS.

These two are very much alike with only a couple of changes.
What is the thought on these two brands and models?

Thanks

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #2

Everyone has an opinion but the chances are slim to none that we would revert back to a Class C...the exception being a Super C of which my husband would definitely entertain. We started with a Class C then moved to Class A's. First a Gasser and then Diesels. I personally do not like the cock-pit in the Class C from a comfort perspective. However that being said we did tour some Class C units at the Hershey show and the layouts were very attractive. I was particularly impressed by the Leprechaun. Our Class C was a Leprechaun and it was a lovely unit, we always received compliments on the interior especially the cabinetry and we never had a mechanical issues nor issues with any of the components.

Regards,

Kim

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Well, let's see here. They are both owned by Forest River, so you really have the same company, just two different flavors!

I have just downsized from a Class A DP to the FR Sunseeker Class C. And, I just took delivery of my coach so I cannot really comment on the build quality yet.

But, I was pretty amazed that during the time my coach was being built, the factory ran into a problem with the Ford E450 cutaway chassis. Seems that for 2016, Ford has come out with a 6 speed transmission for the E450 models. But, the RV's built on that chassis were experiencing a vibration problem around 60 mph.

Forest River shut down the factory line and stopped the delivery of coaches. After a couple of weeks, a group of Ford and FR engineers determined where the problem was coming from and how to fix it. Forest River didn't start up the production lines until all the units waiting for delivery had been fixed, and all the units in process had been repaired. This impressed me that they were more interested in presenting a quality product even when it meant a loss of revenue to shut down the production lines.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
So how does a class C drive compared to a class A? We had a 2006 Georgetown 315DS and it rocked side to side in a medium wind...and a lot in a 18mph + wind! Felt like you were going over on your side.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
So how does a class C drive compared to a class A? We had a 2006 Georgetown 315DS and it rocked side to side in a medium wind...and a lot in a 18mph + wind! Felt like you were going over on your side.
I have not had my coach out yet for a long drive. But just driving it around town it handles better and it feels like its got a lower center of gravity then my class a.

I am going to be taking a shakedown cruise in a couple of weeks. I will have a better understanding about the handling characteristics of my class C.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

We have a 2015 sunseeker 3010ds. Like most new models, we had a punch list of warranty items but none were major issues and all are now corrected. We have 16,000 miles under the belt now and are very pleased. The floor plan with the large kitchen and room to sleep 7 were the main reasons we bought this one. The downside to the floor plan is the small bathroom and shower but that is common to most models in this range.

It rides well as long as the tires and airbags are properly inflated and we don't load too heavy in the rear. We have 1800 pounds of OCCC but there is ample storage so it is very easy to overload if you are not careful.

One of the biggest things we did was to get a good alignment using 'tighter than ford' specs. It requires adjustable bushings to be added and makes a big difference in the handling.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
We have a 2015 sunseeker 3010ds. Like most new models, we had a punch list of warranty items but none were major issues and all are now corrected. We have 16,000 miles under the belt now and are very pleased. The floor plan with the large kitchen and room to sleep 7 were the main reasons we bought this one. The downside to the floor plan is the small bathroom and shower but that is common to most models in this range.

It rides well as long as the tires and airbags are properly inflated and we don't load too heavy in the rear. We have 1800 pounds of OCCC but there is ample storage so it is very easy to overload if you are not careful.

One of the biggest things we did was to get a good alignment using 'tighter than ford' specs. It requires adjustable bushings to be added and makes a big difference in the handling.
The 3010DS is the one we like best...so far. What pressure do you run in the air bags? Did you drive it on a trip before you had the alignment done? If so how did it feel before...and now? That's my biggest concern...the handling while driving cross country...open road in the wind.

Our 31' Georgetown rocked side to side...felt like it would tip over on it's side. Our 36' Palazzo diesel pusher didn't rock...but it wandered all over...like an old car with worn out steering linkage. Had Freightliner go through it and do an alignment...weighed each wheel and set tire pressures to specs...still wandered all over the road.

Living by the Mexican border every trip we take will have 1,000 to 5,000 miles of road time. I'm tired of feeling beat to hell when we stop for the night from fighting the RV all day. And we've even cut our days shorter to about 300 miles a day.

I need a GOOD driving RV....HELP!! lol
Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Jrwalkerpa1 has it right,tire pressure and air bag pressure make all the difference in the world with the Sunseeker. Mine went from a white knuckle nightmare out of the dealers lot to a sweet ride both hiway and side roads.If you do decide on a sunseeker dont leave your PDI without having the front tires set to 70-75#, rear tires to 80# and bags to 65-70#. I'm planning on an alignment in the spring using the Forest river specs. Just a thought if you test drive one have them check the pressures before
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Compare motorhomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
The 3010DS is the one we like best...so far. What pressure do you run in the air bags? Did you drive it on a trip before you had the alignment done? If so how did it feel before...and now? That's my biggest concern...the handling while driving cross country...open road in the wind.

Our 31' Georgetown rocked side to side...felt like it would tip over on it's side. Our 36' Palazzo diesel pusher didn't rock...but it wandered all over...like an old car with worn out steering linkage. Had Freightliner go through it and do an alignment...weighed each wheel and set tire pressures to specs...still wandered all over the road.

Living by the Mexican border every trip we take will have 1,000 to 5,000 miles of road time. I'm tired of feeling beat to hell when we stop for the night from fighting the RV all day. And we've even cut our days shorter to about 300 miles a day.

I need a GOOD driving RV....HELP!! lol

We run 70 psi in the front tires and 80 in the rear....then about 70 in the air bags. We ran it about 3000 miles before having it realigned...the forest river guys say it works best if you let the suspension settle in for a while before doing the alignment.

We saw a noticeable difference with the alignment....well worth it!

I think it handles well for a class c...I've driven several over the years and this is the best. The longer than average wheelbase also helps on this one....it does still get pushed in the wind and when passing trucks but it's very manageable. Not like a car and not like a larger diesel pusher, for sure, but handles well for a class c chassis.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:32 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Jrwalkerpa1 has it right,tire pressure and air bag pressure make all the difference in the world with the Sunseeker. Mine went from a white knuckle nightmare out of the dealers lot to a sweet ride both hiway and side roads.If you do decide on a sunseeker dont leave your PDI without having the front tires set to 70-75#, rear tires to 80# and bags to 65-70#. I'm planning on an alignment in the spring using the Forest river specs. Just a thought if you test drive one have them check the pressures before
Good idea to have them set the pressures to what you said BEFORE the test drive. That way I'll have a better idea as to how it drives and handles. I would not have thought about that!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

I think the Coachman has a rubber roof. Sunseeker is fiberglass.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes