Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Comparing Class C Sprinter

Have been doing lots of research on Class C. Probably looking for used 1-3 years old. Have sort of settled on LTV CB or View J. Have been a bit discouraged by the many negative comments on some View forums about quality. Would appreciate any thoughts on comparison of these two or any other alternatives. Just sold our cruising sailboat of 27 years so looking forward to some land based adventures. Many thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

You've chosen the two manufacture that I would have chosen.
I have a Navion IQ 24V the View is basically the same unit from 2013 on.
Both are built on the same 3500 Sprinter Chassis.
The View is slightly taller than the Leisure Travel because it sits on a 6" aluminum box frame above the Sprinter chassis frame. The Leisure Travel uses brackets attached to the side of the Sprinter chassis. The house frame is box aluminum on both, are machine cut. Both use a fiberglass roof rolled over the sides. The View roof is approximately 3" foam filled, the the Leisure is 5" thick. The construction of the Leisure travel is plywood, the View is particle board with plywood in some critical areas. I am very particular about materials vs cost I considered this when choosing which manufacture cost were much higher. I can change most of it when it begins to bother me except the floor deck. The windows on the Leisure are beautiful, something I wish I had on the Navion. But Winnebago now offers a thermopane window option. Both could use an upgrade to the sway bars, and some sound proofing in the rear wheel wells.

Overall I would say the Leisure Travel uses higher quality materials but the fit and finish are about the same, except the cabinets with the curved doors are a nice feature.

The support network for the Leisure Travel is not as robust as the Winnebago which is also a consideration.

I looked at both but the floor plan (V = twin bed with slide out) is not available in the Leisure Travel.

I believe you will be happy with either, you can study these things to death just decide which compromise you are willing to make and choose.

If I can help PM me.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

You would be happy with either one. What's important is the floor plan and amenities. Our View has had only very minor issues. The build and material quality is very good. Like any boat or RV.....you will do a head-slap and say "what the hell were they thinking???????"

The several small issues I fixed myself, e.g., improper install of waterlines to shower = small leak behind shower wall; overhead cab doors didn't open equally; heat pad came unglued from waste tank. Easy stuff.

The two biggest issues have been: LP regulators & noisy Mach 8 heat pump. Neither of which are really WBGO problems but they sort of are. The LP regulators pack up with oil due to their design. The Mach 8 was a '13/14/early 15" version that has since been modified by Coleman to be more reliable and "quieter." I backfitted and MacGuivered mine and it is QUIET.

You will like.the Sprinter cab and chassis!!! Quiet, efficient, comfy, roomy...

KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS....

and you can PM me.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
You would be happy with either one. What's important is the floor plan and amenities. Our View has had only very minor issues. The build and material quality is very good. Like any boat or RV.....you will do a head-slap and say "what the hell were they thinking???????"

The several small issues I fixed myself, e.g., improper install of waterlines to shower = small leak behind shower wall; overhead cab doors didn't open equally; heat pad came unglued from waste tank. Easy stuff.

The two biggest issues have been: LP regulators & noisy Mach 8 heat pump. Neither of which are really WBGO problems but they sort of are. The LP regulators pack up with oil due to their design. The Mach 8 was a '13/14/early 15" version that has since been modified by Coleman to be more reliable and "quieter." I backfitted and MacGuivered mine and it is QUIET.

You will like.the Sprinter cab and chassis!!! Quiet, efficient, comfy, roomy...

KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS....

and you can PM me.

Hi Old Crows,
You might have read about my experiences with oil in the propane lines. The regulator has been replaced twice. First time on the road, with a cheap Camco unit, second time at the local Winnebago dealer with a Marshall unit. The tech who I used to work with when I was an RV service advisor is a real sharp tech and took the initiative to re-route the flexible propane lines "up" to help prevent the oil from getting to the regulator.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
You've chosen the two manufacture that I would have chosen.
I have a Navion IQ 24V the View is basically the same unit from 2013 on.
Both are built on the same 3500 Sprinter Chassis.
The View is slightly taller than the Leisure Travel because it sits on a 6" aluminum box frame above the Sprinter chassis frame. The Leisure Travel uses brackets attached to the side of the Sprinter chassis. The house frame is box aluminum on both, are machine cut. Both use a fiberglass roof rolled over the sides. The View roof is approximately 3" foam filled, the the Leisure is 5" thick. The construction of the Leisure travel is plywood, the View is particle board with plywood in some critical areas. I am very particular about materials vs cost I considered this when choosing which manufacture cost were much higher. I can change most of it when it begins to bother me except the floor deck. The windows on the Leisure are beautiful, something I wish I had on the Navion. But Winnebago now offers a thermopane window option. Both could use an upgrade to the sway bars, and some sound proofing in the rear wheel wells.

Overall I would say the Leisure Travel uses higher quality materials but the fit and finish are about the same, except the cabinets with the curved doors are a nice feature.

The support network for the Leisure Travel is not as robust as the Winnebago which is also a consideration.

I looked at both but the floor plan (V = twin bed with slide out) is not available in the Leisure Travel.

I believe you will be happy with either, you can study these things to death just decide which compromise you are willing to make and choose.

If I can help PM me.

Any good suggestions for soundproofing the rear wheel wells without significant weight?
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:13 AM   #6

I did a quick search and found these suggestions.

Do NOT buy asphalt based sound proofing mats or lowes/home depot "peel and seal" type roofing products for interior auto use.

Check out some of the options below. Weight will build as you add more product, much of the sound proofing is mass (weight).

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

From the site above all this is for inside.

Wheel Well Arches (each):
7.8 ft² CLD Sheets
7.8 ft² MLV
7.8 ft² 1/8" CCF
3 Velcro Strips, adhesive 2 sides

Another option:
Dynamat - mcmaster and their poly mastic self adhesive sound deadening sheets.
This will require time to fit properly.

Limited success:

For liquid soundproofing, there are products available for the interior but these can be very messy and require multiple coats. For soundproofing on the wheel wells, you can use spray on undercarriage undercoating, etc., to break up the sound before it reaches the metal. 3M and Duplicolor spray on coating work well. Rustoleum seems to not foam as much as 3M and Duplicolor. A product called GraviTex or truck bed liner can also act as soundproofing.

If you do anything inside most of the work will depend on how every thing is layed out under the beds or cabinets. Don't crimp any lines or compress any of the ductwork for heat. If you add anything to the outside stay away from the exhaust the DPF reaches over 400 degrees during regeneration. I saw a picture of someone trying to raise the exhaust it had melted the storage compartment door.

Tags
class c