Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #29

I can't seem to locate the CCC on these RVs. How do I find it? Also you guys are great! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am learning a lot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #30

If it is not listed in the brochure for your model, it will take some simple math. Find the empty weight and subtract it from the allowed gross vehicle weight. From this figure, subtract the following weights: gallons of gas, gallons of water in fresh water, grey water, black water holding tanks, gallons of LP. (Sorry I don't have these weights in front of me.)

Now you have the weight you can put inside the coach and in the storage area. This includes the weights of the people on board (ask the wife to be honest), leveling boards, hoses, tools, ladder, food on board, clothes, computer games, pots and pans, dishes, linens, etc. You will be surprised how fast all of these items eat into your cargo capacity.

Once you determine if the coach is within weight limits, in your case, you have to know what is the towable weight for your fancy smoker and other BBQ equipment. Remember, you carry extra meat when going to a comp.

If your estimates are very close to the published limits, think about a bigger rig. Brakes, engine and transmission will always be pushed to the limits. You can't make your turn-in time on the side of the road.

My last suggestion (when a purchase is finally made and loaded) is to then have the whole set-up actually weighed.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most coaches are different. On a TT I had it was on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door. On my class A with the f53 chassis it is on the wall next to the drivers seatbelt where it attaches to the wall.

I am pretty sure tht M H manufacture figures the weight after the house portion is built and then puts the sticker where ever they decide.

I am sure the salesman could help you find it. All coaches have them, pretty sure it is a law for them. When all else fails just start searching, you never know what you'll find.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1233 View Post
Most coaches are different. On a TT I had it was on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door. On my class A with the f53 chassis it is on the wall next to the drivers seatbelt where it attaches to the wall.

I am pretty sure tht M H manufacture figures the weight after the house portion is built and then puts the sticker where ever they decide.

I am sure the salesman could help you find it. All coaches have them, pretty sure it is a law for them. When all else fails just start searching, you never know what you'll find.
He is saying 5000# before fluids and LP. Seems high. Going now to see for myself.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #33

I would tell him to cut to the chase. Either show you the sticker or take a photo and email it. Either way ALL coaches have to have the sticker. Manufacture liability.
If someone were to grossly overload a unit and loose their brakes just think of the liability lawsuit. They have to cover themselves.
It is there..I'm sure.

Keep pressing and good luck
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #34

located the weights

8.4 lbs./gal - water
6.1 lbs./gal - gasoline
4.2 lbs./gal - LP (remember only 80% of tank is useable and fillable due to safety factor - 18 gal. tank has only 14.4 gal useable which is 61 lbs.)

Also relative to the 5,000 lbs. cargo the salesman quoted you, it does seem high. My Vista has the V-10 engine built on a Ford frame. My dry/empty weight is 12,767 lbs. so I am allowed 3,233 lbs. for gas, water, LP, people and cargo. Set up for our normal operations, I carry about 1800 lbs. of cargo and liquids.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
8.4 lbs./gal - water
6.1 lbs./gal - gasoline
4.2 lbs./gal - LP (remember only 80% of tank is useable and fillable due to safety factor - 18 gal. tank has only 14.4 gal useable which is 61 lbs.)

Also relative to the 5,000 lbs. cargo the salesman quoted you, it does seem high. My Vista has the V-10 engine built on a Ford frame. My dry/empty weight is 12,767 lbs. so I am allowed 3,233 lbs. for gas, water, LP, people and cargo. Set up for our normal operations, I carry about 1800 lbs. of cargo and liquids.
Well he was way off about 2000lbs on the CCC. Doesn't matter though. I Drove the class C with the wife. After driving it the Class C is out. I am 6'5" and the driver seat would not or could not go far enough back to accommodate me. With the slide in the Minnie Winnie 31 and the drivers seat all the way back caused the seat back to be too upright.

We then drove the Winnebago SunSeeker 31 Class A. WOW! What a difference. Plenty of room for me and the visibility was night and day. Not the floor plan we wanted but we are sold on the Class A.

The wife now likes the Winnebago Vista 35F. I was still thinking about the Winnebago Vista Rally 31KE (same floor plan as the Minnie Winnie). So now we debate again. That 35F is crazy nice. Double Fridge, has a half bath plus a full bath with a huge shower. Go in thinking of buying a new Class C about 25' and now we are looking at a 35' unit.

BBQ Judge what Vista do you have?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #36

I have the smallest one, model 26HE. It's great for a couple but I don't recommend it for your family of four. I'm 6'4" and I can make do on the RV queen bed; you are one inch taller. I am willing to make this sacrifice for some of the other perks of this smaller model.

The driver's compartment is probably similar to the larger models, I sometimes drive for 2-3 hours before I realize I haven't taken a break.

I hope you didn't have this much anguish over picking your smoker.

I also suggest any time you "fall in love" with a model of RV, look for the weight chart and make notes while still on the dealer's lot.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
I have the smallest one, model 26HE. It's great for a couple but I don't recommend it for your family of four. I'm 6'4" and I can make do on the RV queen bed; you are one inch taller. I am willing to make this sacrifice for some of the other perks of this smaller model.

The driver's compartment is probably similar to the larger models, I sometimes drive for 2-3 hours before I realize I haven't taken a break.

I hope you didn't have this much anguish over picking your smoker.

I also suggest any time you "fall in love" with a model of RV, look for the weight chart and make notes while still on the dealer's lot.
No the BBQ Pit was easy. Bought the best as soon as I went to a stick burner and dumped my pellet grills.

One thing I have learned here is that you can look at RV units on the lot or at a show and "think" you know what you want. You really don't know until you get behind the wheel and road test them. This has been a real education for this newb.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #38

Just a note..at R V shows they say discount but in reality they inflate the prices to cover the cost of the show. Don't ask me how I know..
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #39

Also just info...All new gas powered R V's no matter what size are powered by the Ford Triton V10. Great motor with good torque. Not so good on gas mileage.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #40

Rusty 1233, I get 8.5-9.0 mpg on my 14,500 lb. rig with 4.88 rear end. My old combo, 2002 F-250 w/5th wheel, total weight about 18,000 lbs. with 3.73 rear got about the same. I had good service with the V-10 and I'm a bit of a miser so the $.50 a gallon difference in the northeast kept me from looking at diesels. Who knows if I ever look for a larger rig.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #41

I have the 18k chassis and am kinda a lead foot. I get between 6 and 9 but I do travel a bit faster than most. My fault on milage. I will say that the V10 has plenty of HP and torque for my needs. All factors considered, I am very happy with the choice we made. I am sure you are too. I would recomend a gasser for anyone that does not full time. My opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #42

Not confused anymore. Bought a new Class A 2014 Winnebago Vista 35F today. Taking delivery tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Tags
class a, class c, fuse