Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
Our thanks to anyone who can enlighten my wife and I on class C issues we are concerned about - as follows. We now own a 39 ft Class A gas unit that is too big for many reasons including my DW will not drive it. Some state / fed parks will not take units that big.

1. The TV. They all seem to be up front. Is it reasonable to watch TV when its mounted over the front bunk - or that area is a dedicated TV & storage area? We do watch a lot in the evenings and need to be comfortable. One idea we have is to buy a used unit and just throw out the sofa and replace with two chairs we can turn around in the evening to watch with.

2 Kitchen: We see so many floorplans with a center kitchen. We call them "L" kitchens. There "appears" to be no room to cook. How do you all manage meals in a kitchen area with no counters?

3. Storage: many units do not have the large storage in the rear. Just what appears to be small doors along the side. Can you fit lawn chairs, a table, a small gas grill, tools, etc? Can this be a big issue?

4 Rear air springs. Because the written descriptions by sellers vary so much, it is hard to tell if a unit has air springs / levelers in the rear. Does FORD install on all F450's? Or does the mfgr install? Would you believe a used unit - maybe 2009 or 2010 31 ft size- would handle well if it received new tires, new shocks and a rear track bar?

5. AC: We like it cold at night. Only 1 AC is a concern. If one drives all day with the gen set on, the roof AC on and the dash AC on, can it be cooled down at night? Perhaps a fan on the kitchen floor blowing into the BR?

6 Purchasing from individual: Anyone have experience with that? Is it like selling an old used auto? Just hand over a cashiers check and get a signed title? Or is it more complex?

7. Weights: Since they are built up to the limit in many cases, is it reasonable to ask a dealer to weigh a unit to check before buying? Is this a good reason to buy from a dealer instead of an individual?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any clarity. We just retired and want to scale back for many reasons. We love our Class A but its not perfect and this seems to be a good choice for our later years. Just two of us exploring. Will tow a small toad.
1. We added a flat screen with DVD on a multipositioning supportbbracket above a location in our dinette and living room area. We also added a similar 27 " flat screen with DVD in the bedroom.

2. We added a burger block board over stove, and a filing counter extension next to sink
they also make sink inserts to cover sink areas to expand your counter space some.

3. There isn't too much storage in the side panels,many type vs have the rear open area, ours has about 82 cf storage volume.

4. Ours is 31 ft on Chevy frame and our RV guy suggested melstein HD shocks, maybe a trac bar. I am planning to do this first to improve the sway and bounce.

5. I am hoping it cools quickly with the roof air on after sun sets, I have noticed the ac unit is loud and makes it difficult to hearbthe tv in dinette. Area easily. I may eventuallynadd a sound bar to tv.

6. Make sure has a clear title, ask many questions and have your mechanic checkout if allowed, have a detailed check list.

7. There should be a stamp of weights on insde driver door and more detail in the RV spec booklet. After picking up our used RV I did go weigh it at truck scales. Ours doesn't have a lot of margin to add much cargo but we are under our max by about 1000 #.

enjoy your new RV.

New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner

While more answers are very welcome, I just want to say thanks to those of you who took the time to reply. Take care all and be safe.

John and Caren, Arkansas. 2006 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel. "Fractured Fairy tails"
johnandcaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I tend to agree with TXiceman on this. A C would be a step down for you. Since you like the features and the room of a Class A unit I would highly recommend you look at the Palazzo RV Class A Diesel pusher. I got one for my in-laws and they love it. It has a full slide on the left and a small one on the right in the bedroom. It has two AC units washer and dryer ect... The best part is that since it is diesel it gets about 16MPG VS the 6 I get on my Gas Class C. It is 32 feet long and drives well enough for my 80 year old Father-in-law.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #18

"I would highly recommend you look at the Palazzo RV Class A Diesel pusher. I got one for my in-laws"

Good trade!

Sorry I just could not resist.

Most of the responses have been from folks with large C's, ours is a Nexus Phantom 23P that comes in at 24' and change. Our 26" TV is mounted at the foot of the cab over bunk on a mount that swivels/angles out. It can be viewed from the cab over bunk, the large booth dinette or the full queen in the rear left corner. We usually use the cab over bunk as a TV lounge or for reading/napping as watching TV looking up is a pain in the neck.

Our storage bay is large and holds chairs, back up Honda 2000, firewood, tools etc. Have yet to come close to filling it. Our center galley works well, we have a flip up counter that adds additional counter space and the large dining booth table is directly behind me when cooking. Try for a real oven if you do much cooking, our 3 burner stove includes a conventional oven and we have a huge microwave above with the standard range hood.

The dash AC on our 2012 puts out more than enough cold air to keep the entire coach quite comfortable while driving. When we settle in for the night the 13,500 BTU roof air turns the rig into a meat locker in about 10 minutes. We also have a 35,000 BTU propane furnace and heated tanks that enables us to deal with cold temps without a problem.

The interior storage is unbelievable, after 6,000+ miles in the last three months we have yet to use about 40% of whats available. We have the E-350 Chassis with the 6.8L V-10 and it is a beast. Married to the 5 speed tranny with full tow/haul mode it eats up the mountains without even breathing hard and still gives us an average of 10 mpg (I cruise at 60). The ride is smooth and stable and the 55 gallon fuel tank gives me 500 miles of range with a 50 mile cushion. Our CCC is 3,368# with a GVWR of 12,500. Weighed the rig at a scale in Oregon with one third full grey, black, fresh and fuel tanks, we came in at 10,050#.

We have a Class IV Reese hitch and are rated to tow up to 5,000# with a GCWR of 18,000#. Nice to have the V-10 beast in a relatively small Class C. At just under 25' we can go to any shopping center, down any road or get into any site we encounter. Doubt we will ever have a toad, just no need.

For the record the Nexus might just be the best built C in America. One piece solid fiberglass roof and end caps, framed in steel (not aluminum), heated tanks, Amish cabinetry. the fit and finish are off the charts and they come very well equipped for around $60,000. For us, with just 2 and the pooch, I can't imagine ever wanting, much less needing, anything bigger. As always... Opinions and YMMV.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check you local yellowpages for RV rental.

A couple of weekends in different size Class C MHs
will tell you more about your likes/dislikes than
any forum could ever do.

One other thought.
If you like State Parks, etc. many restrict
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
I tend to agree with TXiceman on this. A C would be a step down for you. Since you like the features and the room of a Class A unit I would highly recommend you look at the Palazzo RV Class A Diesel pusher. I got one for my in-laws and they love it. It has a full slide on the left and a small one on the right in the bedroom. It has two AC units washer and dryer ect... The best part is that since it is diesel it gets about 16MPG VS the 6 I get on my Gas Class C. It is 32 feet long and drives well enough for my 80 year old Father-in-law.
Exactly! Also look at the Tiffin Breeze, available in 2 sizes, 28' and 32' or the Newmar Ventana with many sizes starting at 34'.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Have TV next to sink. Easy to watch from couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-647550651.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	49961  

Tjsteve is offline   Reply With Quote