Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Considering a Class C & have simple before buy questions

Our thanks to anyone who can enlighten my wife and I on class C issues we are concerned about - as follows. We now own a 39 ft Class A gas unit that is too big for many reasons including my DW will not drive it. Some state / fed parks will not take units that big.

1. The TV. They all seem to be up front. Is it reasonable to watch TV when its mounted over the front bunk - or that area is a dedicated TV & storage area? We do watch a lot in the evenings and need to be comfortable. One idea we have is to buy a used unit and just throw out the sofa and replace with two chairs we can turn around in the evening to watch with.

2 Kitchen: We see so many floorplans with a center kitchen. We call them "L" kitchens. There "appears" to be no room to cook. How do you all manage meals in a kitchen area with no counters?

3. Storage: many units do not have the large storage in the rear. Just what appears to be small doors along the side. Can you fit lawn chairs, a table, a small gas grill, tools, etc? Can this be a big issue?

4 Rear air springs. Because the written descriptions by sellers vary so much, it is hard to tell if a unit has air springs / levelers in the rear. Does FORD install on all F450's? Or does the mfgr install? Would you believe a used unit - maybe 2009 or 2010 31 ft size- would handle well if it received new tires, new shocks and a rear track bar?

5. AC: We like it cold at night. Only 1 AC is a concern. If one drives all day with the gen set on, the roof AC on and the dash AC on, can it be cooled down at night? Perhaps a fan on the kitchen floor blowing into the BR?

6 Purchasing from individual: Anyone have experience with that? Is it like selling an old used auto? Just hand over a cashiers check and get a signed title? Or is it more complex?

7. Weights: Since they are built up to the limit in many cases, is it reasonable to ask a dealer to weigh a unit to check before buying? Is this a good reason to buy from a dealer instead of an individual?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any clarity. We just retired and want to scale back for many reasons. We love our Class A but its not perfect and this seems to be a good choice for our later years. Just two of us exploring. Will tow a small toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #2

I don't have much experience yet as we just recently bought a 22ft Lazy Daze but it does have a kitchen like you describe and it seems roomier than you would think. There is plenty of prep and cooking space.

Ours has very limited outside storage with only one thin locker on each side, but I was amazed at what could be fit in there. The inside of our coach has gobs of closets, cabinets and drawers. More space than we need and most is empty. The previous owner installed a pantry that wasn't original but matches perfectly and you would never know it didn't come from the factory.

I don't want to bring my entire house with me so we are satisfied.

The ones with the big corner beds have those huge storage areas (almost like a garage) out in the back so if you need storage maybe that would be a good choice for you.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #3

I can add that our Lazy Daze came with a swamp cooler that runs on 12 volts and hardly runs the batteries down at all. With solar panels on the roof to top off the batteries during the day we don't need to run the generator much at all. In fact our generator had only 66 hours on it for a 1991.

We paid cash since the price was low enough, being an older unit. It's in great shape and we didn't want payments. We bought from an individual on Craig's list.

We also have air ride suspension on all four wheels but I haven't even checked the air pressure. The truck rides like a dream. We were both surprised, expecting more rocking, rolling, swinging and swaying but it's pretty solid feeling. We are on a Chevy chassis.

This is our first motor home so we only have rentals and time in friend's motor homes for comparison.

I'm sure newer trucks ride even better than ours.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #4

I'll go for the A/C question for a 100 John...Many will say to run your Genset will driving if you think cooling down will be a problem when you get to your destination. However, I have done this both ways in the heat of our summers - mid 90s, high humidity. Never a problem to be cooled down by night time. Cools down quickly when the sun goes down. Even during the day an hour or so to get things reasonable from a mid 80-88 coach. The bedroom has fewer window and cools down / stays cool when the shades are closed.

As far as the front goes - longer. It helps that we put reflectix in the front windows to knock the heat down coming in. Still need the shades during the day time. I haven't found a way around that - sun = heat.

I too had your concerns, especially the first time we went out this year. We lost control and learned quickly what we can do to combat the sun. Never expect to keep the coach at 68 with one a/c in the middle of the summer day.

Good luck and future congrats. Following this thread now. Lot's of good questions with soon to be good answers.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

We have class c frelander 30 ft.

We like the storage as all 3 doors on the back rear sides and rear are all open. This gives easy access to store and retrieve. We store lawn chairs, 8 ft ladder, small grill and extra can goods, etc. We used suite cases to store our clothes so we can rotate winter and summer. The clothes we wear are stored in clear containers with wheels in the bunk area.

Closet space is limited. In one closet we have a 4 drawer storage bin to place socks and undergarmets. Beside the bin we roll bath towels and etc.

Our tv is mounted at the bunk area and we can watch from bedroom. We bought a sound bar to provide better sound.

The cooking area is tight, but we deal with it. We have many meals cooked in the rv and using grill outside helps overcome some of the cooking challenges inside. We do not have an oven so we purchased a countertop convection oven.

We use a small fan and place it on the table at night to assist with cooler air at night. Works great. Our A/C keeps everything comfy.

Hope this helps.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

The front of a class C is just a van, and these do not have any insulation. When we had a Midas Mini, and used it during the winter, we hung a blanket over the cab opening. This really helped keep the remainder of the interior warm, so it should also help keep things cooler by separating the hot cab area from the rest of the interior.

We have had the same summertime heat issues with sun shining on the large windshield on two Safari Treks, and found that placing quilted Aluminum insulation inside the windshield makes a significant difference in inside temperature. However, don't use this on double pane windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
...As far as the front goes - longer. It helps that we put reflectix in the front windows to knock the heat down coming in. Still need the shades during the day time. I haven't found a way around that - sun = heat.

I too had your concerns, especially the first time we went out this year. We lost control and learned quickly what we can do to combat the sun. Never expect to keep the coach at 68 with one a/c in the middle of the summer day...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

Check out the Forest River Sunseeker 3010DS or Forester 3011DS. These have the same floor plan and we love it. There is a large television that is directly across from the sofa and another in the bedroom and also one in the overhead. But the thing I love most is the kitchen area. There are lots of kitchen cabinets and a very ample counter. It was the main reason we bought this model and after a year we are still loving it. Outside storage is great too and there is a built in trash can.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Check out the New Thor built on the Ford 550 truck frame with the full wall slide. Diesel engine. Wish they were making these when I bought mine.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 28Y that has the entertainment option. The TV is a 32 " over the cab. No bed except a slide out single there. Storage in two big cabinets next to the tv. Very well built (18 moths old, 28000 miles)
Storage is over 80 cu ft. I traded a 40' DP for this and got all my "stuff" in the lockers.
The doors for storage in the rear are big enough to get anything into that area (that I've tried!)
The a/c is limited, but uses a manifold system so you can just open the ones where want it to blow. Hope that helps some.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you all.

Keep those answers coming. Still have so questions.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To Stonekeeper:

We have looked at those type floor plans. Our only concern is we watch a lot ot TV: Is it too close for viewing? Seems so but hard to say. Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
To Stonekeeper: We have looked at those type floor plans. Our only concern is we watch a lot ot TV: Is it too close for viewing? Seems so but hard to say. Thanks
The television is just the right distance with the slide out. And the single doesn't strain your neck. The only issue we have is that our sofa isn't comfortable at all. Our coach is a 2011 model. The next year they changed to a different sofa and it is much better. We are looking at replacing ours with "theater" type seating. I like sitting across from the television better than turning my head for an extended period of time.

But having enough counter space to cook a big meal is priceless. :-).
Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a used Winnebago Access Premier 26Q - the 32" TV is right across from the dinette - I did not want to turn my head to watch TV. We also have one in the bedroom. We have a straight kitchen with (to me) lots of cabinets and counter space. There is also a large storage area in the back to hold the ladders, rugs, grill, cooler etc. that we take with us. I know they make a bigger unit, but we didn't want anything bigger. We use our grill all the time - have only turned the stove on once! Have a toaster oven if I need an oven plus it came with a convection microwave. Good luck with finding what will fit your needs.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From your questions and concerns on the class C's. I do not think yo will be happy after your large class A. Some manufacturers make a small class A. I'd suggest you look at the smaller class A units.