Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

construction material

Does anybody know what type construction a 2000 Coacmen catalina 195 would be made from i.e.--wood or alum --I had a older Open Road class C that was all wood. It was a little creaky and rattly inside. Just bought the Coachmen but it only has 15,000 miles and seems very tight. I know that Coachmen was bought out but would like to find a web sight with Coachmen info??? Is there one??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Current ones are wood construction, I doubt they have changed much. http://coachmenrv.com/models/literat...aadvantage.pdf
Forest River is the parent company and uses aluminum in their frames.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

I am currently rebuilding a 90 Coachman Catalina. And mine is all aluminum frame with foam filler with wood laminate on both sides.
The only other place I see wood is around the windows and on edges mainly just for screw strips

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2011178450.png
Views:	126
Size:	755.2 KB
ID:	14273

As you can see on the front, foam and aluminum frame, on the side the wood was in the corners, everywhere else you see wood on this was once foam, the aim was to beef it up. Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #4

I think that just about all newer units are aluminum frame - lighter and stronger, easier assembly. Every one I looked at in 2007 had aluminum frame.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #5

What length is this unit and is it a 1990? I owned a 2002 Montana 5th wheel and they were one of the first to advertise aluminum construction at a cheaper price. Since my unit is only 21ft I'm thinking mine, the shortest unit made, may be just wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclark3617 View Post
I am currently rebuilding a 90 Coachman Catalina. And mine is all aluminum frame with foam filler with wood laminate on both sides.
The only other place I see wood is around the windows and on edges mainly just for screw strips

Attachment 14273

As you can see on the front, foam and aluminum frame, on the side the wood was in the corners, everywhere else you see wood on this was once foam, the aim was to beef it up. Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

It's a 23 foot 1990 Coachman Catalina sport class c on a chevy frame.