Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Continental tires

Our motorhome Dynamax isata 3 24fw, has continental tires. They are LT 215/85r 16. Load range E, 2ply sidewalls, 6ply tread. What is your experience with these tires? Safe or not? The max pressure is 80 psi. My dealer aired them up to 80 psi right away. My load is pretty close to 11,030 #. Do you think this setting the pressure to maximum was for better more stable ride, or what. I have been thinking that I should just change them out for peace of mind and no trouble on the road! Please share your experience with Continental tires! thanks leonard
19fisherman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #2

The continental tires you describe are OEM equipment on many sprinter chasis used for RV's. I have them on my Navion with 31,000 miles with no issues and plenty of tread left. I would buy the same tires when its time to replace them.
I've had several sets of continentals on automobiles over the years with generally good results.
shellback2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

Following up on my last note. I would look at the manufacturer's recommended pressure rather than just inflating to the max pressure on yhe sidewall. My Navion calls for 61 psi. That has worked well for me. Yours may be different. You will find the recommended pressures on the yellow sticker inside the drivers door.
shellback2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have talked to many tire manufacturer reps at the dealer trade shows. None have ever reccommended sidewall tire pressure. The high pressure makes a very hard tire. It is hard on the tire and also the suspension. If you are sure your camper is not ovrloaded, Use the tire pressure label on the camper. My tire sidewall pressure is 110 psi. The label in the coach is 80 psi.
the last time I purchased tires, they aired them up to 110 psi. The coach rode like a buckboard all the way home. I reduced the pressure to 80 psi and the difference was dramatic.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Wink It is simple to do it right...

The one and only way to properly inflate any tire is to weigh the coach. Once you know what the actual load the tires are being asked to carry, then and only then can you properly inflate that tire. To do so you will need to refer to that particular tires manufacturer - inflation load table.

Doing this will tell you the proper psi for the load you are subjecting the tire too. There simply is no other way to properly inflate a tire. While blindly following a sticker on your door frame or the max psi rating on the sidewall "might" just be correct the odds are seriously stacked against you.

Keep in mind that as the load changes over time, and it surely will, commensurate changes to your PSI will be called for. Depending on where and for how long I am going to be out on a trip {not to mention if I am towing or not} my actual weight can vary by a thousand pounds or more and this is on a 24' Class C with a GVWR of 11,500#.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #6

I've got the Vanco 4 Seasons on my 25' C
running 60 psi front and 58 in the rears.
Smooth ride, great wet traction, no problems.
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your tires are fine but your dealer is suspect. A motorhome is not a trailer and tire inflation is based on actual load being carried. At your GVWR of 11,030 lbs, the tire inflation charts for the Continental tires call for 61 psi for proper inflation. So at 80 lbs you are overinflated and your ride and safety are being compromised.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

The brand and rating of your tires are both very good. But check them for side-wall and between-thread cracking in the rubber. Some tires age more quickly than others.

Our rig is built on a 2007 E350. It is 24 feet long and weighs 11,300 pounds loaded on trips. Tire pressure is 65 psi in all tires. Your rig with 80 psi is way too high. Your ride is much rougher than need-be and the handling of your rig is compromised.

One word of caution about tire pressure. Read my post HERE about tire gauges. Don't assume tire gauges are all the same. What I thought was my best gauge, turned out to be my worst being off by 9 psi at those pressures.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #9

I have the Sprinter RV with Continental tires. My door sticker is 61 psi. I carry 63 psi in the front and 65 psi the rear and feel that is a good compromise. I think the drive is smooth and the handling good.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The one and only way to properly inflate any tire is to weigh the coach. Once you know what the actual load the tires are being asked to carry, then and only then can you properly inflate that tire. To do so you will need to refer to that particular tires manufacturer - inflation load table.

Doing this will tell you the proper psi for the load you are subjecting the tire too. There simply is no other way to properly inflate a tire. While blindly following a sticker on your door frame or the max psi rating on the sidewall "might" just be correct the odds are seriously stacked against you.

Keep in mind that as the load changes over time, and it surely will, commensurate changes to your PSI will be called for. Depending on where and for how long I am going to be out on a trip {not to mention if I am towing or not} my actual weight can vary by a thousand pounds or more and this is on a 24' Class C with a GVWR of 11,500#.

Agree 100%
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #11

Tires

One tire I wood not recommend is Cooper, I purchased one in Ga. while traveling and it turned out it was out of round and could not be balanced, Cooper would NOT replace the tire ! two tire shops said it was out of round but Cooper said -Sorry ?
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

My 2015 Sprinter also has those tires. I paid for a wheel position weighing at an FMCA meet. At maximum chassis load, their recommendation was 60 in the fronts, 65 in the rears. I've been running those pressures for over 25k miles now and that has worked out fine.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #13

I weighed my 15 View G. It is close to max weight. The Michelin truck guide puts my Tires at 55 rear and 51 front. I have used a heat gun to check the tires in the summer and they run cool. I have a TPMS. I think the Vanco tire is good.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

Same tires on my Sprinter. Run them at 60 psi and it rides and handles well. I'd buy these tires again, plus they are a M&S tire which is nice since you cannot put chains on the Sprinter.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires