Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Continental Tires -Quality??

Anyone have experience with Continental tires? The Class C 29' that I bought recently came with 6 brand new 225/75R16E Americus Commercial LT tires rated @ 2680 lbs @ 80 psi. The problem is this is a little known tire made in China and I just don't trust them since my rig is heavy and right at the maximum weight for the E rated tires . I've done alot of research on the web and while I'd like to put on a new set of Michelin XPS Rib tires they are very pricy [$340 ea.] and are also only rated @ 2680 lbs but I'm sure they are a better tire. I found Continental Vanco 2 tires in the same size [$202 + $27 shipping] and they are rated at a much higher 3195 lbs!! So while they look like the answer to my problem, I'm wondering if they are any good for an RV. Why so much cheaper? I had Continentals on a large suv and liked them and had no problems. Anyone have any experience with the China Americus brand? I know they are DOT approved etc. and not everything made in China is bad but I don't like not knowing what I have where the rubber hits the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

In general, Conti tires have a good reputation. Got a set (not Chinese - maybe Irish?) on my SUV, and my only complaint is that I need to balance them more often than with Michelins.

I actually run Chinese snow tires on both of my SUVs because I only run them locally in the Winter, and heat build-up isn't a problem.

Personal choice is to not run Chinese "regular" tires.

Like the Michelin ad says "A lot is riding on your tires"

JMO

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3

Chinese tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
In general, Conti tires have a good reputation. Got a set (not Chinese - maybe Irish?) on my SUV, and my only complaint is that I need to balance them more often than with Michelins.

I actually run Chinese snow tires on both of my SUVs because I only run them locally in the Winter, and heat build-up isn't a problem.

Personal choice is to not run Chinese "regular" tires.

Like the Michelin ad says "A lot is riding on your tires"

JMO
Continental products - not just tires - have very high quality standards.

In contarary to general opinion it makes no difference where the item has been made, what makes a difference is the quality itself.
Most well known brand electronic components (even in your own computer) are made in China!

Cummins ISX - one of the baddest semi truck engine is made in China, and many components of other model Cummins engines came from India and Brazil.
As far as I know there is no problem with any of them linked to been made out of USA.

P.S.

Your tires as long as are adequate for load and speed design for specific vehicle, should give you no problems.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have Continental Tires on the front of My DSDP (275/70 R22.5) I will be putting 4 more on the Rears next Week!
They are Designed and Engineered in Germany and Manufactured in the USA!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Continental tires came standard on my winnebago view, have approx. 17000 miles on them with no problems. Hope I didn't jinx myself.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #6

Conti's were about the only tire available for my old Winnebago Rialta. They were fine.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

had a set on my Coachmen when I bought it. I Liked them, even though they were quite worn
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #8

Bought used 2005 Ford Escape SUV in 2006 with new dealer-installed Continentals. They have worn well but are very noisy. Checked on WEB for comments and several other people had same trouble. Dealer service Dept. agreed but is not a warranty issue, so they won't replace. Maybe noisy tires won't be as noticeable on a heavier vehicle (motor home) so that wouldn't matter. But for the SUV it will be Michelins on the next change, even if cost is higher.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bocc98 View Post
Bought used 2005 Ford Escape SUV in 2006 with new dealer-installed Continentals. They have worn well but are very noisy. Checked on WEB for comments and several other people had same trouble. Dealer service Dept. agreed but is not a warranty issue, so they won't replace. Maybe noisy tires won't be as noticeable on a heavier vehicle (motor home) so that wouldn't matter. But for the SUV it will be Michelins on the next change, even if cost is higher.
My '05 Ody had Michelins when we bought it, I replaced them with Michelins. They didn't wear very well and Costco refused to rotate them due to the edge wear. They gave me around a $450 warranty and I got new Michelins that have a 90,000 mile tread wear warranty. They are much better than the ones they took off for noise and traction too.
I was thinking of getting Continentals for the MH as I needed a 305/70 22.5 and Michelin and Continental were the only ones that listed them. Turns out Continental had them listed but they weren't available yet so I went with Michelins all the way around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Your Class C has more than 5200 lbs on the front? And 20k lbs in the rear? Thats a very heavy 29' Class C..

According to here, they have a speed rating of 100mph.. which is 25-35 MORE than most tires your looking at or mentioned in this thread:

Americus CLT Tires 2257516 | Belle Tire

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/file...%20%28p%29.pdf

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Personally, I think the Continentals are crap. The came stock on my wife's 06 Escape...lasted 30,000 miles, and performed horribly. They also came stock on my 09 F350 work truck. Lasted 22,000 miles...and performed like crap. I could not get either vehicle out of my driveway when it snowed unless I put them in 4wd, but my Ranger could easily pull out of the driveway in 2wd.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
Personally, I think the Continentals are crap. The came stock on my wife's 06 Escape...lasted 30,000 miles, and performed horribly. They also came stock on my 09 F350 work truck. Lasted 22,000 miles...and performed like crap. I could not get either vehicle out of my driveway when it snowed unless I put them in 4wd, but my Ranger could easily pull out of the driveway in 2wd.
That would depend on the tread pattern and compound. From the sounds of it, you had more 'sport' or 'touring' type tires, even on the 350 they were prolly more 'rain' than 'mud and snow (M&S) tires..... ?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #13

I have run Continentals on my SUV since I got it 10 years ago, they're one of only a few companies that even make tire as big as my ride takes, 275/55R17 that are high (V) speed rated.

They're ContiContact 4X4 models and never had any issues with noise, poor performance or premature wear. I do rotate them regularly though. I get on average 60k. miles out of them. I might be able to squeeze a little more but don't like driving on nearly bald tires, the wear bars are quite low, by the time you get to them there isn't much tread left.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Have 6 Continental tires on my F-350 and they look like new after 15,000 miles. No complaints here.

Tags
tires