Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Guys, thanx for all of the replies. This is such a great place.

As for may course of action....

Continue the use of Costco Gas, put an additive in every 5 tanks.

CYingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Uhhh... I'd look for a new mechanic. 86,000 miles and most on Costco gas.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Jeep (a 1999 wrangler) was bought 6-05 with 82K on the clock. it has run solely on kroger gas locally since then. it now has 160K on it and not ONE part of the fuel system or ANYTHING fuel touches has been replaced.
That right there says a lot.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
That right there says a lot.
That its a Jeep?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Here's more on the Top Tier story in case anyone is interested.

Rusty

Interesting Rusty... Recall in my post (Just above the one I quoted you from) I mentioned a station where the owner was topping off his storage tanks with a garden hose.

That brand *IS* on your top tier list.

NO, I'll not name them, because I do not think this dealer was typical of that brand.. but the brand he carried.. *IS* on that list.

In my life I have had 3 bad tanks of gas... Two were on the Top Tier list.. The third was AMOCO (now BP) I suspect Amoco was on the list at the time but, alas, don't know.

Of the three.. One was the one with the garden hose.. He got padlocked by the state

One was a well known brand on the freeway while I was headed west, I can't even tell you the city it is in.

And the third was that Amoco.. Since I do know where that station is located, He got a letter to Amoco and I'm sure a visit from the inspectors likely within 24 hours of the letter's delivery.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Brother in law drove Gas Tankers for years believe or not all gas comes from the same place just the additives are different. Shell truck pulls right in after a Chevron Truck etc. Costco or Kroger gas comes from the same place just add techron or STP or something of the like if you want. If your engine is pinging then you need to add something as that pinging is very bad for an engine. I was a Mechanic for awhile and sometimes I saw things that were a result of bad gas or poor maintenance. Ethanol is tough on seals and using a stabilizer when parked is good advice.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #21

So often when I pass gas stations (any brand), I see people gassing up while a tanker truck is filling the storage tanks. All underground tanks will have some moisture/water in them due to condensation from both the tankers that deliver the fuel and the temperature differences that occur in the storage tanks. Rain water is another source for the water if the tank intake caps are not properly maintained. The flow from the tanker's hoses stir all that water and sediment and suspends them in the fuel...guess where all that crap ends up when people fill up during this operation? Diesel is worse due to it's ability to suspend sediment even longer.

I avoid this scenario whenever possible and always keep my gas receipt until the next fill up...just in case. While on the road...ya pays the price and ya takes yer chances! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #22
CD

I was in Costco today and saw a sign on the wall about their gas. It is sold under the Kirkland brand now. The sign had a list of additives etc. I was told a few years ago (by the Costco gas attendent) that they bought gas from 2or3 different companies that I recognized as majors.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
They buy regionally... here, I see 'Good Oil' trucks, a local company.. even at the Phillips 66... The Good Oil owns and operates a BP... guess which gas they use?

http://www.goodoilcompany.com/history.htm

Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #24

Back in the 60's when gas was twenty six cents a gallon my Dad's friend Bill had a gas station/repair shop. We called them garages back then. He sold gasoline. Back then it would be called a "cut rate" station. He had his own tanker and would make runs for gas at the local depot. Same place everyone else got their gasoline, name brands. The only gas that was considered "different" was Amoco. They were unleaded before it was deemed "deadly". Anyway, the locals which included my friends who didn't know Bill would call the place "Cheap Charlies". Some who had more money than I did would insist his gas was no good and would pay more elsewhere. They never ran any faster than I did. Is it the same now? Probably. If you buy from a high volume dealer, what you will get is fresher gasoline and with the ethanol content of today's gasoline, that's a good thing. Less chance for water vapor to be absorbed.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in the day when "Premium" was called Ethel due to the Tetraethel lead they added.

Amoco.. Never used lead.

Thus when the government came out with the requirement to delete lead and Amoco quickly came out with "We will market Unleaded" I kind of had to smile, since they never marketed leaded to start with.. They always got the lead out as it were

Of course there are other additivies that are just as bad, but frankly I don't know what Amoco used... And I don't know what BP uses either. I just think Rockefeller is spinning as it were thinking of his American Oil company now owned by British Petroleum.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
my grand father drove tankers from the local refinery in the late 50s and early 60s. he always said the only fuel around here that was differnt was the Sunoco blue 260. He said he had to dump a bottle of blue dy in the tank before it was filled back then.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always filled up at Costco back when I had a Gas motorhome. If anything, the gas at Costco is BETTER for your coach, because they have such a turnover in gasoline. They are constantly getting deliveries of fresh gas and it's as good as anything you can buy in the so-called "major" stations.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #28

I worked at the Bayway Refinery, Linden, NJ for a few years. The property is owned by ExxonMobil, but the refinery is owned/operated by ConocoPhillips. This refinery supplies most of the northeast with gasoline...'off' brand gas stations could be pumping gas with many different 'brand names'...depends on the customer who ordered the gas. Costco gas is fine.