Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Cruise America

Hi has anyone purchased a used class c from cruiseamerica? The prices seem good but all units have about 100,000 miles on 2007 models. Do they have a good maintenance program that services their units and keeps them in good shape... Thanks. Doug

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

I have been interested in this as well. Subject on a couple of forums have been discussed and not to many posts had anything good to say about the mh as sale units. Most described them as high mileage, bad shape vehicles, so I am going to pass on them as a consideration. If you got o their for sale site most have 130,000 miles or more for the 2007s, although they do show a lot are sold.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks. I am not very keen on one with so many miles. I can imagine what shape some renters would leave them in.

Thinking ill pass also.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

There are two sides to the coin when purchasing units that were rentals.

1- These things are used constantly year round - which is GOOD for all the appliances and systems. We all know how bad it is for them to just sit around all the time. Im sure many of them show wear/tear on the inside but those that I looked at were very well maintained, interior beat up a little, yes, but very repairable. Roofs were in excellent shape and maintained very well.

2- High mileage on a gas coach chassis - if these were diesel chassis I wouldn't bat an eye at purchasing it with 100k plus on them, if the price were right of course. Most class Cs are nothing more than glorified 1 ton chassis from Ford or GM. Steering, suspension and drivetrain issues would be my main concern.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago I rented from Cruise America in Florida. It turned out it was race weekend at Sebring and they had overbooked the rentals. Our unit turned out (after multiple complaints to CA Corporate) to be a unit they had pulled back from the auction yard. It was very high mileage and most of the appliances did not work. My impression is that a rental company will squeeze all the life they can out of a unit.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had my Cruise America 24 foot class C for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. No major problems with the RV and I have taken it out on 14 trips within a hundred miles of home, each trip being on average 2 days. Mine had 135K when I bought it. I have put about 1000 miles on it so far. Only had to replace the inner dual tires and the spare (my fault for not noticing during pre-sale inspection). I have done some minor roof maintenance myself and suspect that I will have to replace the roof in the near future. I got this rig for under 19K, my payments are around $200 a month, I have no personal property taxes on it since I live in Prince William County, VA and I can write the interest off on my taxes. And I got an extended warranty so the powertrain is covered for four more years. Life is good.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 28A Majestic we got from Cruise America in June 2012...

We lived in it full time for four months while our house was repaired...I use it without DH to drive all over the NW to go to dog shows and we used it 3times so far for camping.

It has been a great unit...was refurbished inside and out by CA and ours is on the E450 chasis. It drives as easily as my diesel 4x4 E450.

Todays gas engines are built to exceed 300k. Few people use their RV more than 10,000 miles in a year so even w 100,000-130,000 miles you still have a lot of years left on the units.

For the money they were set up the best for our needs.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also did the extended power train warranty.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just sold my 31 foot Jayco Eagle with 25,000 miles. I sold it for $17,000. It was in mint condition and very well maintained. I saw in one of the posts above that someone bought a rental for the same amount of money. I think if you are patient you can find a good unit at the right price.