Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel 3200-watt

Here I go again, asking yet another question that I am embarrassed to post, but I need to know. Here goes: The 2008 Itasca Navion that my wife and I have just purchased has the Cummins Onan Quiet diesel generator. Some of them I understand run on propane fuel, is that correct? Because the literature states that it is a Quiet diesel generator does that mean it is running on the tank of diesel fuel that I pump in at the gas pumps? In other words, it's not running on my propane, it's running off of my diesel fuel? If that is the case then it will run for a long time depending on how much diesel fuel i have in the tank?
__________________

__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Here I go again, asking yet another question that I am embarrassed to post, but I need to know. Here goes: The 2008 Itasca Navion that my wife and I have just purchased has the Cummins Onan Quiet diesel generator. Some of them I understand run on propane fuel, is that correct? Because the literature states that it is a Quiet diesel generator does that mean it is running on the tank of diesel fuel that I pump in at the gas pumps? In other words, it's not running on my propane, it's running off of my diesel fuel? If that is the case then it will run for a long time depending on how much diesel fuel i have in the tank?
Yes, it's running off diesel in the tank. They're usually setup to use tank fuel down to about 1/4 of a tank. Below that it may not run.

Gas and Propane are close in terms of type of fuel and are relatively easily converted back and forth via adjusting the induction system.

Diesel motors run at high compression. Too high for gas or propane.
__________________

__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Yes, it's running off diesel in the tank. They're usually setup to use tank fuel down to about 1/4 of a tank. Below that it may not run.

Gas and Propane are close in terms of type of fuel and are relatively easily converted back and forth via adjusting the induction system.

Diesel motors run at high compression. Too high for gas or propane.
Thanks CB1000! It's good to know that if I get down low on diesel fuel the generator might not run at all!!
So the propane that I add is used solely for the gas stove, furnace & refrigerator. Is that right?
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
So the propane that I add is used solely for the gas stove, furnace & refrigerator. Is that right?
Yes, I usually fill our 40 gallon (32 usable) propane tank up every couple of years. Even then it's only about half empty.
Most generators that pull fuel from the main engine tank will quit when the tank is full or so. It's not exact either, just a guestimate.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Surprise AZ
Posts: 33
Horizonchase, what is your opinion of that Diesel generator? Some people have complained about the fact that it is noisy and that the exhaust smell is bothersome.. I ask because I am trying to decide between the Propane and the Diesel Genset in an Itasca 24M.
__________________
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
Horizonchase, what is your opinion of that Diesel generator? Some people have complained about the fact that it is noisy and that the exhaust smell is bothersome.. I ask because I am trying to decide between the Propane and the Diesel Genset in an Itasca 24M.
Our 2000 DSDP had a propane Genajunk in it. Noisy, overheated in hot weather and shut down, drank propane like we had a direct pipeline.
Our present PowerTech 8.0KW liquid cooled diesel is very quiet, and has never failed us. No diesel smell unless you're standing right beside the exhaust. Only takes .72 gal per hour at FULL load.
We'll never have another propane gen set.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Surprise AZ
Posts: 33
Thanks Mr. D. I don't think that the 3200 that is installed in the Navion is liquid cooled so that may make a difference. I'll have to look into that..
__________________
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
Horizonchase, what is your opinion of that Diesel generator? Some people have complained about the fact that it is noisy and that the exhaust smell is bothersome.. I ask because I am trying to decide between the Propane and the Diesel Genset in an Itasca 24M.
I think Mr_D in post #6 said it better than I ever could, and he has far more experience than me. Heck, I'm fairly new at this RVing . I can tell you that I can't smell my diesel fuel coming out of my generator in any objectionable way. There is a little odor but nothing like standing downwind of a city bus if that is what you mean. As far as noise goes, they all make some noise. Some are noisier than others. You will have to decide for yourself what your threshold of tolerable noise is. Either that or your neighbors will!
One thing that Mr_D said that was of particular interest to me was that the propane generator ate fuel whereas the diesel used what, .74 gals. an hr? Then, if i understand this correctly, they will shut down so as to not use up all of your tank fuel. And mainly, I like when he said it has never failed him! Like i said, i am relatively new at RVing but I am feeling better that I have a diesel generator.
__________________

__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cummins, diesel, onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.