Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel 3200-watt

Here I go again, asking yet another question that I am embarrassed to post, but I need to know. Here goes: The 2008 Itasca Navion that my wife and I have just purchased has the Cummins Onan Quiet diesel generator. Some of them I understand run on propane fuel, is that correct? Because the literature states that it is a Quiet diesel generator does that mean it is running on the tank of diesel fuel that I pump in at the gas pumps? In other words, it's not running on my propane, it's running off of my diesel fuel? If that is the case then it will run for a long time depending on how much diesel fuel i have in the tank?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Here I go again, asking yet another question that I am embarrassed to post, but I need to know. Here goes: The 2008 Itasca Navion that my wife and I have just purchased has the Cummins Onan Quiet diesel generator. Some of them I understand run on propane fuel, is that correct? Because the literature states that it is a Quiet diesel generator does that mean it is running on the tank of diesel fuel that I pump in at the gas pumps? In other words, it's not running on my propane, it's running off of my diesel fuel? If that is the case then it will run for a long time depending on how much diesel fuel i have in the tank?
Yes, it's running off diesel in the tank. They're usually setup to use tank fuel down to about 1/4 of a tank. Below that it may not run.

Gas and Propane are close in terms of type of fuel and are relatively easily converted back and forth via adjusting the induction system.

Diesel motors run at high compression. Too high for gas or propane.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Yes, it's running off diesel in the tank. They're usually setup to use tank fuel down to about 1/4 of a tank. Below that it may not run.

Gas and Propane are close in terms of type of fuel and are relatively easily converted back and forth via adjusting the induction system.

Diesel motors run at high compression. Too high for gas or propane.
Thanks CB1000! It's good to know that if I get down low on diesel fuel the generator might not run at all!!
So the propane that I add is used solely for the gas stove, furnace & refrigerator. Is that right?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
So the propane that I add is used solely for the gas stove, furnace & refrigerator. Is that right?
Yes, I usually fill our 40 gallon (32 usable) propane tank up every couple of years. Even then it's only about half empty.
Most generators that pull fuel from the main engine tank will quit when the tank is full or so. It's not exact either, just a guestimate.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

Horizonchase, what is your opinion of that Diesel generator? Some people have complained about the fact that it is noisy and that the exhaust smell is bothersome.. I ask because I am trying to decide between the Propane and the Diesel Genset in an Itasca 24M.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
Horizonchase, what is your opinion of that Diesel generator? Some people have complained about the fact that it is noisy and that the exhaust smell is bothersome.. I ask because I am trying to decide between the Propane and the Diesel Genset in an Itasca 24M.
Our 2000 DSDP had a propane Genajunk in it. Noisy, overheated in hot weather and shut down, drank propane like we had a direct pipeline.
Our present PowerTech 8.0KW liquid cooled diesel is very quiet, and has never failed us. No diesel smell unless you're standing right beside the exhaust. Only takes .72 gal per hour at FULL load.
We'll never have another propane gen set.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

Thanks Mr. D. I don't think that the 3200 that is installed in the Navion is liquid cooled so that may make a difference. I'll have to look into that..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
I think Mr_D in post #6 said it better than I ever could, and he has far more experience than me. Heck, I'm fairly new at this RVing . I can tell you that I can't smell my diesel fuel coming out of my generator in any objectionable way. There is a little odor but nothing like standing downwind of a city bus if that is what you mean. As far as noise goes, they all make some noise. Some are noisier than others. You will have to decide for yourself what your threshold of tolerable noise is. Either that or your neighbors will!
One thing that Mr_D said that was of particular interest to me was that the propane generator ate fuel whereas the diesel used what, .74 gals. an hr? Then, if i understand this correctly, they will shut down so as to not use up all of your tank fuel. And mainly, I like when he said it has never failed him! Like i said, i am relatively new at RVing but I am feeling better that I have a diesel generator.

Tags
cummins, diesel, onan