Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #15

I too think the Sprinter chassis is vastly over-priced and thus any m/h built on it would be also. They are also very prone to rust.

In all but a very small percentage of cases there is no savings from the diesel, the initial outlay far exceeds the savings.

Then there is the issue of service, you'd be hard-pressed to find a mechanic who doesn't know their way around a Ford chassis. There's not a lot of mechanics outside of the stealerships that have ever even put their hands on a Sprinter chassis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #16

We have priced the 2015 Itasca Viva/Winn Trend and can get one for 73K to 74K. One place has a 2012 View 24M which they are asking 80K. The Viva has a loud gen and AC, but maybe we could live with that. Our only sticking point is not getting enough trade on our 2000 Itasca Sunflyer 36W. The Travato is much too small and the View has the Sprinter. No decision yet. Comments?
Larry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

See my Trend First Drive Impressions here:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Winnebago Trend - First Drive Impressions

CCC is shown below and is greater than most View / Navion models:

23L = 1437 lbs
23B = 1302 lbs
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
Well we just purchased sight unseen a 2014 Winnebago View 24J. We considered the Trend but being a new model we were hesitant. We also liked the MB turbo diesel engine and interior was nicer. Of course that came with a cost. Wish us luck. First time rv'ers
Good luck with your new 24J. We are on our second and last Sprinter RV mostly because the service is so horrendous to find and VERY expensive. Also the Sprinter chassis to me just seems, delicate, for lack of a better word. (Chassis/steering issues with both of the ones we've had from the factory)
Sprinter advice: adhere to that maintenance schedule religiously, and make sure you use the CORRECT spec oil in it. 229.51, 5w-40 European spec. Mobil 1, Valvoline and Amsoil, among a few others make a correct oil for it.
Also, DO NOT let an RV dealer touch that Sprinter chassis for any maintenance. Stick with Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter dealers. They know what they are doing there.

The V6 in the Trend/Viva is on Ward's engines 10 best in the world, and was co-developed by Mercedes when Chrysler & Mercedes were together. We own one in a Jeep Wrangler and just love it. Smooth & powerful with no issues in 40k miles so far.
Trend/Viva? You can buy one for the mid $70's virtually at any Winnie dealer without much negotiating. And as far as a first year unit, you do have a point about it being a first year Winnebago product in that there will be revisions coming along. 2015's have some differences for the better.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #19

Drove home our 2015 Viva 23B this week and here is my impressions/findings:
Drove like a full size van (I've owned several) which I like.
Fit and finish was excellent (the dealer left out the ladder to the loft bed)
Held the road well when passed by semi's
The computer says we got 11 mpg but then it has only 400 miles on it and expect better when it's broke in. When I fill up I'll know for sure.
Outside storage is just one compartment, but we always carried more than we ever used.
The tv system worked great. On-air channels reception is better than my house antenna.
Bought it for under 74K and could have gotten it for $1550.00 less at another dealer if I hadn't needed to trade in our old MH.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1946 View Post
Drove home our 2015 Viva 23B this week and here is my impressions/findings:...
Thanks for the report Larry. Sounds like a fine machine.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #21

Larry,
The 23B doesn't have a ladder.

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
My concern about that particular rig would be getting it serviced. How common is that chassis. To test - try calling 4 Dodge dealers in your area and ask them if they can service that vehicle's brakes.

The Sprinter, if overpriced, is very common and has known reliability... It'll be easier to own, easier to service, and likely to have better resale (IMHO).

Comparing either to a Ford V10 is apples to oranges.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #23

I asked the local Dodge dealer and he said no problem getting service. A nearby city has a Dodge dealer where they sell the ProMaster vans and service them. The point is the fact that there are more Dodge/Ram dealers around than Sprinter. Also, the Promaster is used in commercial work and there will be plenty of parts available if and when we need them. I don't plan on using it that long anyway.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1946 View Post
I asked the local Dodge dealer and he said no problem getting service. A nearby city has a Dodge dealer where they sell the ProMaster vans and service them. The point is the fact that there are more Dodge/Ram dealers around than Sprinter. Also, the Promaster is used in commercial work and there will be plenty of parts available if and when we need them. I don't plan on using it that long anyway.

Larry,
Just to be specific, I can get an F-350 truck or E-350 van serviced at Ford no problem, almost any dealer. As soon as I step up to a E450 RV chassis or F53 (Class-A Ford) these vehicles are 10-11' high and 24-33' long. In DFW, 8 out of 10 Ford dealers couldn't even get one into the bay.... In Austin, I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a dealer who has a bay that it will fit into.

You may be right, Dodge may not have a problem serving a ProMaster Van. Just make sure you get that same response when you've got an "RV".

If the V6 is common to Jeep, no problems there.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #25

The V6 is common to a whole list of Chrysler vehicles, cars & trucks. The ProMaster transmission is from the minivans except upgraded for heavier duty use.....
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #26

Had our first full camping trip in our 2015 Viva (Trend). I liked the handling and the ease of getting it around in a town/campground. There has been bad experience of traction since the weight is distributed more towards the rear. With the black holding tank 1/2 full I lost some traction with the front driving wheels. In other words, don't park in wet grass. The fit and finish is good, but the cabinets under the loft bed are worthless. They hold a small TV and maybe some maps. The instant hot water was ok. The beds were quick to set up and take down and somewhat firm. An 2" foam on them would help, but, what to do with it when not in use? This unit is best for traveling and not extended camping, IMHO. The outside storage is only 15 SF. To make better use of it, I made a support for the folding chairs, then hung a wire basket under that for small things. Under the basket goes the sewer hose. The one that came with it does not have a the L shaped end piece that goes into the sewer. Highly recommend that you flush the holding tanks BEFORE you go traveling. There was a large piece of foam in the black hold tank which stopped it up. I got it out but won't offend anyone with the details. Still like it and recommend it, but know what your getting.