Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Decision on which C class

We are firmly decided that a C class will fit our needs. We recently test drove a new model called the Trend which is powered by a 6cyl Ram Penestar power plant on a Fiat chasis. We were able to test drive and it handled well. We also liked the interior and exterior. My hesitation of course is that it is a new model and the engine has has some complaints used in other models
We are also interested but unable to see or test drive the Navion 24J which is essentially a Winnebago. Videos look great and I like the idea of a diesel vs gasoline. Both are essentially the same dimensions. Would love to get feedback from owners on these 2 models and any other recommendations. We want to stay in the 24' to 26'
Thanks for any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #2

Hi there! You have found the right place to get your questions answered. I don't have info on the models you are considering. All I would say is that most of us RVers tend to take more "stuff" with us than we originally planned.
I personally like the basement storage area of a Class A for that purpose. Some Class C rigs have pretty good storage too. That would be a major consideration for me.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
PAB4,

We bought a new 2006 Winnebago View in 8/2005, then traded it for our current 2012 Navion iQ in 2/2012 (mostly because we liked the newer floorplan, plus the newer chassis has a V6 diesel rather than an inline 5 diesel).

Love them both. Easy to handle, reliable, great mpg (13-15 with a toad), nice Winnebago quality. Wish we had more storage.

Haven't looked at the new smaller Winnebago Trend/Itasca Viva models, but do know they don't have rear duallys . . . so cargo carrying capacity is likely pretty limited (both from a storage and a weight standpoint). They are also gas, but perhaps there will be diesels later. They do seem to be getting good reviews. By the way, perhaps you already know this, but Winnebago and Itasca models are basically identical . . . kinda like the Ford/Mercury thing was for many years.

Good luck! Once you've decided what your travel lifestyle will be, then which rig serves it best will become clearer.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with what your interested in, but I agree with Full.Monte. Consider storage space in your search. Good luck and safe travels.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Made a decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
We are firmly decided that a C class will fit our needs. We recently test drove a new model called the Trend which is powered by a 6cyl Ram Penestar power plant on a Fiat chasis. We were able to test drive and it handled well. We also liked the interior and exterior. My hesitation of course is that it is a new model and the engine has has some complaints used in other models
We are also interested but unable to see or test drive the Navion 24J which is essentially a Winnebago. Videos look great and I like the idea of a diesel vs gasoline. Both are essentially the same dimensions. Would love to get feedback from owners on these 2 models and any other recommendations. We want to stay in the 24' to 26'
Thanks for any help
Well we just purchased sight unseen a 2014 Winnebago View 24J. We considered the Trend but being a new model we were hesitant. We also liked the MB turbo diesel engine and interior was nicer. Of course that came with a cost. Wish us luck. First time rv'ers
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
Well we just purchased sight unseen a 2014 Winnebago View 24J. We considered the Trend but being a new model we were hesitant. We also liked the MB turbo diesel engine and interior was nicer. Of course that came with a cost. Wish us luck. First time rv'ers
Great first RV

Nice, have fun.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #7

That Promsster van has been out for years already in Europe. It comes as a Fiat, Citroen or Renault.

Go on some of the European RV sites to see some of the dozens made on this chassis. They have some very innovative features.

Things to consider, this van chassis is front wheel drive so that allows a lower floor but towing capacity is lower also.

The rear wheels are trailing like on a fwd car so even though you won't see duallies you can see some with tag axles giving four rear tires.

Prices are supposed to be a good bit lower than Sprinter based RVs
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Great first RV
Yep. You guys managed to choose a unit that most people buy as their 3rd or 4th rig, after they find out what works best. You saved yourselves a lot of trading!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Thumbs down

I would not even consider the Trend. At $90,000 it is so overpriced I cannot believe anyone would buy one. Underpowered and only 1100# of payload will limit what you can bring and/or performance.... and forget about pulling a toad. If you are going to buy a C get one that can carry at least 2,000# preferably more as sooner or later you will need it and that means a dually. If you are ever going to have a toad get a big block gasser like the V-10 Ford or 6L Chevy.

There is a review (and I use the term "review" loosely), in the new issue of Motorhome/Highways magazine. It is the typical fluff piece where the author gushes shamelessly but just look at the specs on this thing and you will laugh yourself silly... until you get to the price.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I would not even consider the Trend. At $90,000 it is so overpriced I cannot believe anyone would buy one. Underpowered and only 1100# of payload will limit what you can bring and/or performance.... and forget about pulling a toad. If you are going to buy a C get one that can carry at least 2,000# preferably more as sooner or later you will need it and that means a dually. If you are ever going to have a toad get a big block gasser like the V-10 Ford or 6L Chevy.

There is a review (and I use the term "review" loosely), in the new issue of Motorhome/Highways magazine. It is the typical fluff piece where the author gushes shamelessly but just look at the specs on this thing and you will laugh yourself silly... until you get to the price.

I think you have missed the point of the Trend/Viva's. They are meant as and alternative to the world of class B motorhomes. Same length as the Sprinters, lower priced and more room. Not meant to be towing a toad, and with a coach of this size, you say you want 2000lbs CCC, but where are you going to put 2000lbs of stuff??
Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #11

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
I think you have missed the point of the Trend/Viva's. They are meant as and alternative to the world of class B motorhomes. Same length as the Sprinters, lower priced and more room. Not meant to be towing a toad, and with a coach of this size, you say you want 2000lbs CCC, but where are you going to put 2000lbs of stuff??
I don't think I have missed a thing. They are not lower priced than a number of Sprinters I've seen and the Trend is smaller, not larger. Try seating four adults for a meal or watching TV not to mention crawling into the primary bed that is barely 4' wide.

For $90K+ you can buy a much nicer, more capable B or C. Our 24' C has 3,368# of payload. Fully loaded (1/3 of a tank of fresh, grey and black, firewood and a back up Honda 2000), we weighed in at 10,050# leaving us another 1500# of additional payload and probably 40% of the storage in our C is still available.

The Trend only has a 24 gallon fuel tank, our C has 55. The trend has a 2.8Kw generator, most C's and B's have 4kw. The gas V-6 only has 260# of torque and the towing capacity is around 2,000# which makes it pretty close to worthless in that category. Most C's and B's can tow between 3,500# and 5,000#.

There is no question that the quality of the build from Winnebago is excellent and I'm sure the Trend is no exception but.... for $90K+you really don't get a all that much for your money when you put it alongside the competition.

The Trend is what it is, my primary objection was not the rig itself but to the unmitigated fluff piece that appeared in the March issue of Motorhome/Highways magazine. Look at the floor plan and the specifications and then put those up against any of the better quality C's and B's out there and the differences become glaringly apparent.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
If you want small, Winnebago Vista 26 HE 2014 new for $70, 000 , now your talking, don't have to make the bed every night. And plenty room ,
My opinion
Mike

http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/...pecifications/
Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I don't think I have missed a thing. They are not lower priced than a number of Sprinters I've seen and the Trend is smaller, not larger. Try seating four adults for a meal or watching TV not to mention crawling into the primary bed that is barely 4' wide.

For $90K+ you can buy a much nicer, more capable B or C. Our 24' C has 3,368# of payload. Fully loaded (1/3 of a tank of fresh, grey and black, firewood and a back up Honda 2000), we weighed in at 10,050# leaving us another 1500# of additional payload and probably 40% of the storage in our C is still available.

The Trend only has a 24 gallon fuel tank, our C has 55. The trend has a 2.8Kw generator, most C's and B's have 4kw. The gas V-6 only has 260# of torque and the towing capacity is around 2,000# which makes it pretty close to worthless in that category. Most C's and B's can tow between 3,500# and 5,000#.

There is no question that the quality of the build from Winnebago is excellent and I'm sure the Trend is no exception but.... for $90K+you really don't get a all that much for your money when you put it alongside the competition.

The Trend is what it is, my primary objection was not the rig itself but to the unmitigated fluff piece that appeared in the March issue of Motorhome/Highways magazine. Look at the floor plan and the specifications and then put those up against any of the better quality C's and B's out there and the differences become glaringly apparent.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

I compared them to class B Sprinters, not C's. So, yes they are larger. You are comparing your unit to this like is is meant to be a class C. This is more comparable to what Winnebago built successfully for many years, the Rialta.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

We're looking at a Viva and have test driven it. Excellent experience on ride, steering. Turned around on a two lane highway easily. No storage to speak of, but looking to tour the US not stay for long in campgrounds. Motor is in top 10 in the world I've heard. The Dodge/Ram shop is 1.5 miles from my house and there are around 800 places to get it fixed. I don't know how many Sprinter shops there are, but the nearest to us is 55 miles. BUT we are also considering a 2010 Four Winds Freedom Elite with the Sprinter chassis. Comments anyone?