Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Decorating Dilemma

Greetings Campers!

Still new here on IRV2, and not even a Rookie RV'er just yet. My husband and I are still RV researching and shopping and looking into buying a motorhome. He wants a Class C, so that is probably what we will start out with. I am not sure if it will be slightly used or new. When the time comes, I guess we'll see what presents itself. I hope that we will be RV owners before the end of the year though!

I have gotten some great advice so far on RV's, but I have not had a chance to hear what y'all think about RV interior decorating. I don't know if the men would be as interested, simply because my husband is not. But I have a problem with many of the RV interiors, because of the boring tan and brown theme. The marbled tan wall paper makes we want to cringe. Please don't be offended. I am one of those people that needs color, and just likes to decorate things, so an RV would not be an exception for me.

My husband tells me all the time, that's not the point of camping. So we disagree on that detail. But I would like to hear folks' opinions on decorating an RV, just to spruce it up a bit. We won't be buying something super old, if not new to start, so I am not suggesting gutting things out. But tastefully painting over the tan RV paper with a nice color. Sewing curtains to replace all the window treatments. And then bedspreads and throw rugs and pillows, etc, which really isn't an issue I know. But I don't want to hurt the resale value of the motorhome by painting and removing window treatments. I want to make it homey, and then I will enjoy the experience more...that's just how I think. I cook a lot, and spend a lot of time inside too taking care of that sort of thing...plus taking care of our dogs. So, I want it to have a decorative flair to make being inside a pleasant thing. Do you think that if I paint and sew curtains, that I am hurting the RV resale value, or helping it any? Let's assume that it turns out looking very well from a decorative stance. I will say, that I am not planning on painting the cabinetry...at least not at first. since it will be newer, the chances of it needing it will not be high. I think some RV remodels do look great with painted cabinets, but I am not sure I want to do that if the cabinets look ok to begin with. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks again!
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeektheSon1 View Post
I would love to hear your thoughts!
What I read you say is, right now, you really don't know much about RVs and RVing and don't really know what you want, but you're going to start with a Class C and spend a bunch of money to "customize" into what you think you might want.

Be aware that if it is NOT what you really want, the more you "mess" with it the more you reduce the field of potential buyers to sell it to in order to get something else to do the same thing with.

My suggestion is to buy a starting unit and leave it alone UNTIL you decide that you know what you really want to do.

For example, most customized cars are worth 1/3 to 1/2 of the value of the same car in stock condition. Some customs are not even sellable. Your "decorated" RV may be in that category.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Once you get your RV, do all the decorating you want. It's easy to use splashes of color with accessory pieces and artwork while leaving the walls, floors, etc. a neutral pallet. Chances are that you will have it for at least a few years, so personalize it to your own taste. Many people paint, change flooring, add curtains, put up different kitchen/bath backsplashes, etc. It's fun to make something your own.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Head over to this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinteriorideas/
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think as they say, "put your stamp on it". We have made (er, she) valances for the bed room windows, throw rugs put down and as we have Teal factory interior we try to coordinate all other decorations ie utensils appliances and towels to compliment. Its your home away from home, enjoy it, just leave the power tools alone and you wont go wrong. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #6

If you're going to keep your coach for more than a couple of seasons I think you should decorate as you see fit. IMHO the newer a "used" coach is the longer you should wait before changing the decor in case you decide to trade or sell it.

Accessories are easy - artwork, pillows and textiles, window treatments (save the originals if you think you'll sell the unit), bed linens.

When you're happy with whatever coach you end up owning, come here to irv2 and ask the owners of that brand and model about "gotchas" they may have found when doing updates/upgrades to their RVs.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wisdom

Thank you all for your wisdom on this subject. It's sort of difficult to know what to do when we are still in the shopping stage. And my husband and I are not in agreement as to what size RV to get.....so......it will be interesting to find out what we end up with. And we may need to rent one to start, idk. But when we do settle on our RV, I do want to change the interiors some...I love customized backsplashes, and curtains, and wall colors. I even like those peel and stick wall decals, for lack of a better word, that looks like wood. But I realize there is a risk of turning a buyer away should we want to trade it down the road. If I didn't hate the RV wallpaper so much.....I could just leave the walls and do the other stuff that wouldn't alter the look too much.... and even put the old valences back in if necessary for a buyer. But I don't think the RV paper would last long if I have anything to say about it. I agree that I need to live in it a little bit before I do anything. It would be wise to make sure that we like the RV to start with before we put a lot of work into it. Thanks again y'all!
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I tell my wife, if it makes you happy do it. Makes life easier for me.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Greetings Campers!

.........He wants a Class C, so that is probably what we will start out with.
I stand corrected. Up till now I've always said, " No one's ever said if Daddy's (He's) happy everyone is happy. " I guess I might have to rethink that now......
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #10

I generally won't touch a "molested" vehicle, RV, or anything else. I would keep the interior decorating limited to items that are easy to change such as pillows and possibly curtains, always being sure to retain the removed items to pass on to the next owner.

I prefer stuff that is original and hasn't been altered, at least not by much, and would walk away from your RV if you had it for sale and the interior had been repainted, wall papered, etc.

To me it kills the resale-ability and resale value of the RV. I would not do much until you find that this is a lifestyle you really like. Rving, in my opinion at least, is more about traveling, seeing things, be they national parks, museums, the ocean, etc, visiting relatives, doing unusual stuff, whatever, and the less time spent inside the RV, the better.

Charles
Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 AM   #11

Since you are buying used you are not taking the depreciation hit, I say do to it what you want. Or you could leave it alone and it might look like mine before it's remodel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flair interior before copy.jpeg.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	212298  
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #12

When I look at older rv's the first thing that jumps out at me are the dated looking cushions, valences and bedspread. Update those and you have a whole new look.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Greetings Campers!

Still new here .................................................. ........
hear what y'all think about RV interior decorating. I don't know if the men would be as interested, simply because my husband is not. But I have a problem with many of the RV interiors, because of the boring tan and brown theme. The marbled tan wall paper makes we want to cringe. Please don't be offended.

I am one of those people that needs color, and just likes to decorate things, so an RV would not be an exception for me.

.........But I would like to hear folks' opinions on decorating an RV, just to spruce it up a bit.

We won't be buying something super old, if not new to start, so I am not suggesting gutting things out.

But tastefully painting over the tan RV paper with a nice color. Sewing curtains to replace all the window treatments. And then bedspreads and throw rugs and pillows, etc, which really isn't an issue I know. But I don't want to hurt the resale value of the motorhome by painting and removing window treatments. I want to make it homey, and then I will enjoy the experience more...that's just how I think. I cook a lot, and spend a lot of time inside too taking care of that sort of thing...plus taking care of our dogs. So, I want it to have a decorative flair to make being inside a pleasant thing. Do you think that if I paint and sew curtains, that I am hurting the RV resale value, or helping it any? Let's assume that it turns out looking very well from a decorative stance. I will say, that I am not planning on painting the cabinetry...at least not at first. since it will be newer, the chances of it needing it will not be high. I think some RV remodels do look great with painted cabinets, but I am not sure I want to do that if the cabinets look ok to begin with. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks again!
Guy Here.

Builder, so I have some opinions.

DW has decorated our Coach, very smartly and not over the top.

Let me throw out a couple of Point - DO NOT paint the WallPaper - You would not do it in a house so Please do not Mess up an RV.
If necessary just Remove and Replace it but I Repeat. Do Not paint it - Just not done. Have you thought about Hanging artwork or Pictures, might just achieve the same result

Curtains - Window Treatments, Great

Books accents and Pictures are all OK. along with a clock and Lamps these can be held in place with https://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-991.../dp/B000FJU290 stuff works great - even keeps the Orchid in Place as we drive down the road.

Bed Covers, throw Pillows, will also help you feel more at home.

Think Outside - not outside the Box but Outside the RV - lots to do there.

Go slow, you might be surprised what you find people have done.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #14

I agree with the less faint of heart. A motorhome will depreciate quite well even if left untouched so what have you to lose! I say go for it and don’t be shy about it. If you don’t like it you can do it again.
I am looking at mine with an eye for change too! We all would love to see your creation when done.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote