Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Demystifying the diesel engine.

Our new to us Navion 24J came with a Mercedes Benz CID 182 diesel engine. I have never owned a diesel engine and neither have my parents. They are a mystery to me. I know they are legendary in their high mileage but I also know that because it carries the Mercedes badge it will cost big $$$ to repair should anything go wrong. Hopefully I can avoid getting clobbered with a big repair bill by doing the proper routine maintenance. Unfortunately it did not come with an owners manuel.
I will obviously change the oil when necessary. I will use Mobil1 diesel synthetic, and I will change the fuel filter at 40k, but other than that, with no spark plugs to change, what must I be diligent about for long engine life?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Biggest thing is maintenance and drive it. Diesels love to be worked. Many people advocate an oul analysis about every third oil change. Best way to understand what is hoing on on the insides.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Our new to us Navion 24J came with a Mercedes Benz CID 182 diesel engine. I have never owned a diesel engine and neither have my parents. They are a mystery to me. I know they are legendary in their high mileage but I also know that because it carries the Mercedes badge it will cost big $$$ to repair should anything go wrong. Hopefully I can avoid getting clobbered with a big repair bill by doing the proper routine maintenance. Unfortunately it did not come with an owners manuel.
I will obviously change the oil when necessary. I will use Mobil1 diesel synthetic, and I will change the fuel filter at 40k, but other than that, with no spark plugs to change, what must I be diligent about for long engine life?
Thanks!
hello and congrats on the Navion. We have the View, both made by winnebago. The diesel engine is fairly easy. You might be able to call Itaska or winnebago for a manual. What year is your unit? You can pm me in July if needed at henrynier@aol.com and I can send you the maintenance schedule for the diesel. Currently we are on tbe road so unable to help immediately
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Biggest thing is maintenance and drive it. Diesels love to be worked. Many people advocate an oul analysis about every third oil change. Best way to understand what is hoing on on the insides.
An oil analysis? You mean they are going to go through my oil the way the Dr. examines my bloodwork? And this is every three oil changes? What will they be looking for?
Like I said previously, diesels are a mystery to me. I will say that today's diesels don't stink and they run fairly quiet. That was the main draw for me. Not to mention that mine gets ( or at least it's supposed to get) 16 mpg. Heck, that's as good as my Ford F150!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I have never owned a diesel engine and neither have my parents. They are a mystery to me.
Perhaps THIS will help further your understanding.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
hello and congrats on the Navion. We have the View, both made by winnebago. The diesel engine is fairly easy. You might be able to call Itaska or winnebago for a manual. What year is your unit? You can pm me in July if needed at henrynier@aol.com and I can send you the maintenance schedule for the diesel. Currently we are on tbe road so unable to help immediately
Our Navion is a 2008. We love it! That is very kind of you to offer to send me the maintenance schedule. Enjoy your journey and if I can remember, I will PM you in July!
Be safe!
Jim
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

regular service

change your air filter on time and carry a spare fuel filter., with some of the bio diesel blends out there you can use a filter up very quickly and make sure to keep your coolant up to spec. diesels require chemicals in the coolant to prevent damage to the liners, cavitation is the technical term, it isn't rocket science but if you don't educate your self some good ole boy in an out of the way shop will, and this includes dealerships . reading the owners manual will help .
the oil analysis will tell you about what metal an other particles are in your oil and a unscrupulous shop will use it to scare you into unneeded repairs,go on line and study up before getting this done.
the modern diesel is very reliable with proper care will out last the motor home
congratulations and good luck
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
There is some really great advice here. Thanks all for taking the time and helping me to properly maintain my Itasca.
I had no idea that the coolant was so special.
FYI, I called the Mercedes dealer and they informed me that the fuel filter install was $180.00. Although steep ( I think) I suspect that if I were to skimp on that it could be very costly down the road. Any of you folks change your own filter? Just wondering?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

Diesels are easy. Just remember to ALWAYS use good clean fuel(truck stops)
Keep the air,oil and fuel filters clean
Keep the oil,trans,and coolant fresh and clean
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
KIX

Quote:
FYI, I called the Mercedes dealer and they informed me that the fuel filter install was $180.00. Although steep ( I think) I suspect that if I were to skimp on that it could be very costly down the road. Any of you folks change your own filter? Just wondering?
On my Cummins the fuel filter is a spin-on and easy to change. Similar to an automobile oil filter.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure whatever oil you use that it satisfies the spec for the engine. Call for the spec if necessary.

Try to get some manuals from ebay. Sometimes you can get them pretty cheap.

I always change my own oil and filters.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #12

If you change your own oil, fill the filter with clean (new) oil. You do not want the engine running while the oil filter fills from the pump, so you fill it before installing.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
On my Cummins the fuel filter is a spin-on and easy to change. Similar to an automobile oil filter.
That seems like a piece of cake. When I mentioned if I could do it by myself to save some money to the Mercedes dealer he said that there might be "special tools " involved. Is the Mercedes that much different than the Cummins? I'd rather do it myself like you do.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
That seems like a piece of cake. When I mentioned if I could do it by myself to save some money to the Mercedes dealer he said that there might be "special tools " involved. Is the Mercedes that much different than the Cummins? I'd rather do it myself like you do.
I always check YouTube to see if anyone has put a video out showing how to do what I am wanting to do. I have found a multitude of things that were a puzzle to me until I watched the video on what I was wanting to do. I have made many repairs to many things I would not have otherwise tried, including a leaky Bunn coffee machine and defective sensor on my laser printer. I just did a search there and it looks there are several videos on the Mercedes diesel. Just watch closely to see if the MC appears to know what he is doing and if the filter is relatively easy to change I would carry a spare one at all times. It has saved my bacon more than once with the fuel you sometimes get and when it is really cold. Cummins is a snap to change.

Tags
diesel