Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Diesel Super C's and servicing

I currently have a 99 HR Endeavor 37WDS pusher with the Cummins 5.9. Of all the diesels in DP's, I'd guess this one is the easiest work on.

But, my reality is that it does not matter what Cummins I have, the Freightliner shops generally don't want to work on them, or they up charge you on the labor. Been there and done that.

I recently had to tear out my entire back bed to have the head gasket replaced on the Cummins. Even then, the guys complained about working on their belly on the floor. I did see their point.

I think it's the dirty little secret that DP manufacturers know that Class A's are difficult to work on, but are not very concerned, once the rig is $old... Just MO...

Fact is, many Class A DP's do have engine access constraints vs. a front engine diesel rig in the Class C configuration, where most shops are not confused about engine layout as in a custom DP chassis.

Which brings me to a real shift in what I want in my next coach, which may be not too far off.

I have come to think that a diesel powered coach in a Class C configuration may present way less hassle in terms of where I can get service, be it Ford, GM or Dodge.

Setting aside no air ride in the Super C's that are not of the Dynamax variety, I think I may give in to a Ford 550 or Dodge with a 6.7 Cummins for my next coach.

Question is also for those with diesel Super C's that came from Class A DP's. What's your take on my post.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

I've owned many of the 5.9's and 6.7's over the years in 1 ton dually pickups.. and find the engine an excellent choice and with simple maintenance they run and run.. I follow my own schedule but in the pickups would run them 350K miles before trading...

So I'd consider it....
Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No direct expetience, but servicing the conventional truck format vs a DP has got to be easier/ cheaper, I agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had never a problem with service on the DP. With one year intervals( not many travel over 10000 miles a year) I just used a local,20 miles, shop that felt in RVs. Now with the C I do the same. If I were on the road and needed service I would do a net search. And last I would not base my purchase of a coach on service but on purpose. JMO

LEN
Old 08-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I had never a problem with service on the DP. With one year intervals( not many travel over 10000 miles a year) I just used a local,20 miles, shop that felt in RVs. Now with the C I do the same. If I were on the road and needed service I would do a net search. And last I would not base my purchase of a coach on service but on purpose. JMO

LEN
Good for you on service. I've been up charged by $32 an hour at one Freightliner shop and $76 at another. Had I owned a rig where the front lid opened like all the others they service, that would not have happened. It is a problem in my area, at least.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

I am stuck in Denver because I cannot get service on a 2014 F550 6.7 PSD Class C. Either the Ford dealers complain they have not got room for an RV or they say they don't do RVs, ever. So I think the notion of getting a robust nationally sold product as a RV base is a complete nonsense. If you have a break down away from home, expect to spend a week managing the repair.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

One reason why I posted my thoughts on Class C diesels. Funny, I bought my 99 from a guy in Denver and drove back to Ohio. First ever driving a Class A.

Anyhow, I figured the length of any coach would pose service problems and your situation is another example. Sorry to hear of your troubles...

I am still of the mind that a coach with a regular opening front hood is easier and very likely cheaper that working on a coach with an engine buried in the rear of the vehicle. In my case, to replace the radiator, I'd have to remove the entire lower bodywork to get all the parts out.

I guess I'm gravitating towards an easier service experience. Heck, I may have tried to do the head gasket on my coach had it been in a standard truck cab configuration.

I just know that I need to keep planning what to do before the time comes to make that move to my next last coach...
Old 08-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #8

We traded our 2000 HR Endeavor on our current Super C for this very reason. The DP was getting to he age that it needed more chassis service. I use a small one man shop for my service work when at home, and he didn't want work on it anymore.

When we bought the Seneca, he has no worries as it's just a Freightliner like any other truck he works on. I have also had to use Freightliner dealers on the road and had no problem getting right in.

The other nice thing is if you use a truck wash, they can tip the nose and pressure wash the engine compartment. Our DP was getting real rusty in the engine compartment, even though we were only in the salt a handful of times.

Good Luck!
kenkann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

When we set out to purchase a motorhome, ease of service was at the top of our list. We started looking at new A Classes , then Super Cs and finally worked our way over to used Class 8 conversions.

Not only is the labor rate cheaper on a regular class 8 truck (typically $20-50.00 per hour cheaper than a motorhome), but it requires less labor to get to everything. Furthermore, there are few routes where truck service is not available. When/if a mechanic raises the hood, it looks just like the last 100 he looked at. We believe that may save us money and inconvenience in the long haul.

Granted, the class 8 conversions aren't for everyone, but our Renegade is the only vehicle we've ever owned that makes whomever is driving feels guilty for having all the fun!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #10

Super C

Besides the need for a more robust tow vehicle, my choice of the Super C was to access the dealer network for vehicle support. I also went further by purchasing the Super C with the smallest possible footprint in order to use the regular diesel pumps at most gas stations without blocking the entire forecourt. However based on my experience in Denver, I was clearly wrong about Ford's interest or ability to support the C&C models. I was also partially wrong about the use of the fuel pumps where I often find them blocked by mini vans or the like where the incumbents have filled the tank and are too lazy to move the vehicle to a parking spot while the refuel their bladders at the concessions inside the building. There being usually only a couple of diesel pumps I do not have the option of using another and sit waiting for Porko to come rolling out of the shop. The Freightliner/Showhauler models are also a parking challenge for storage where external storage and the break-in/sun damage risks are considerable.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

We purchased our Thor Super C exactly for the reasons you are talking about as Far as the A Coaches....we have the 35sf....very comfy, plenty of room---the Ford F550 chassis drives like a dream, does not get blown around and there is plenty of power to spare...she has good get up and go, will tow 10,000lbs. We take her to the local ford truck service/tire center....commercial side- also a Chevrolet place that has no issue working on the truck part, generator, etc. No issues so far really as she is still getting broke in, 9just got the front end and steering wheel aligned) but no one has had any issues here with us as far as service or room to do it! As we have spent several years looking and getting educated about which type RV we would ultimately want to pull the trigger on, many many techs and owners too told us about the difficulties with the Class A's as far as even just troubleshooting to get to a problem! and since they are built from the ground up on that chassis, if it is bent or not level then the whole coach will have issues down the road. The fifth wheels are great looking and roomy, but decided that the workmanship/materials these days plus also having to purchase and maintain a truck was not going be us dragging that time bomb down the road after all!so we like our decision as far as Diesel and as far as class C.....
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

Agreed vlamgat, storage can be an issue. We use a Clearspan RV garage, while we are on a waiting list for indoor storage.

With regard to the fuel issues: Using the regular diesel pumps can be problematic because typically you need to fuel on both sides. The good news is that given the extended range, you pretty much only need fuel when trucks need fuel, so there is usually a truckstop where you need one.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #13

I wouldn't even try to fuel at the car pumps, unless it's a huge station with LOTS of room.

If I end up with the Super C rig, I would not even bother with car fuel stations and only hit the Pilot, Flying J or LUV's truck stops and use their semi lanes to refuel.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I wouldn't even try to fuel at the car pumps, unless it's a huge station with LOTS of room.

If I end up with the Super C rig, I would not even bother with car fuel stations and only hit the Pilot, Flying J or LUV's truck stops and use their semi lanes to refuel.
Normally, I would not either. Unfortunately, I managed to land in a couple of truck stops in Canada that only allowed fleet card use in the truck lanes. What a pain!

Tags
diesel