Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by citfta View Post
I am curious about some comments made in this thread. Several people have commented that diesels cost more to maintain. Where did that idea come from? Is there any factual evidence to back that up?

I have owned several diesel vehicles. From Puegeots to Dodge Ram pickups. I have not seen any reason to believe that diesels cost more to maintain. They need oil changes just like gasoline engines. They hold more oil but need changes less often. They need air filters changed and fuel filters changed just like gasoline engines so that is a wash. They DON"T need spark plugs changed or spark plug wires replaced or ignition coils or coil packs replaced. If you make sure and use good quality fuel the injectors and injection pump will probably go for a few hundred thousand miles before any problems are encountered.

Another thing I have seen posted is that it is hard to find a Mercedes dealer for repairs. My own search has shown that many Dodge dealers are certified to work on the Sprinter based chassis. I found my local dealer was not, but there is another dealer only 30 miles away that is certified to work on them.

Another comment I have seen several times is that the Sprinter chassis is loaded too heavily and some have even said it is overloaded. What is interesting to me is that those comments seem to be coming from people that don't own one. I am 72 years old and drove fire trucks for over 20 years as a volunteer firefighter. I also drove a school buss for 3 years. I have driven almost anything you can drive except for semis.

I recently drove our Navion for a 1200 mile round trip and saw and felt no signs that it was overloaded. It went up and down hills and around sharp curves very nicely. Of course it is not going to handle like a sports car but it handles very well for what it is. So I really don't see those comments about it being overloaded as valid arguments.

I do have a question. Has anyone experienced any kind of failure that they believe was caused by the Sprinter chassis being overloaded? If it is overloaded I would expect to see drive train and suspension problems to be a common occurrence.

Respectfully.
First point, agreed, the maintenance requires "more" of some things, but the longer maintenance intervals usually make that one a push. On newer non-FCA built Sprinters, the "fragile" warranties may be a consideration when choosing parts and fluids for general maintenance. Better specs sometimes means higher prices if you want trouble free performance, and some of the newer Sprinters seem pickier about what they want in their diet.

I haven't seen any FCA dealers listed on the latest Mercedes-Benz dealer/service center document, so I can't comment on that one. The list I have does not mention Chrysler or Dodge locations as being among the Sprinter service locations. I'm sure there are some Dodge/Chrysler dealerships that may still do legacy service on the older models that were badged as Ram Sprinters (like yours?), but I doubt they would work on the newer ones. Liability insurance for messing them up would be the most likely reason, since not all Sprinters are created equal (in terms of their hardware and software). Especially the newer ones.
That said, I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more Ford dealers in North America, than MB/Freightliner locations. If there are Chrysler dealers that work on all years of Sprinters, than that's a bonus for those of us who own, or are about to own one.

Overloaded, refers to the math involved in comparing the maximum allowable GVWR/GCWR as defined by the chassis manufacturer (usually MB, except as mentioned previously about older Ram badged chassis), minus the weight of the added coach and RV related structure, furniture, tanks, wiring, and any other related systems that sit on the chassis. In many cases, the added weight of the "RV" part of the vehicle, added to the weight of the chassis itself, gets very close to the GVWR, as defined. Add some OCCC to those numbers, and you could be driving an overloaded vehicle, whether it feels overloaded or not. Most comments on here and other websites about being overloaded aren't based on feel, they're based on actual measurable data.

I don't have handy any anecdotal instances of accidents or other problems being directly caused by being overweight, but I'm sure there have been some, both consciously by people who think or know they are at or over the GVWR or GCWR, and inadvertently by those who don't check their weights on a scale after loading up and heading out on the road.

Your point about added stress related chassis problems being more common from running overloaded is valid, but I think most folks try to stay under the GVWR/GCWR for personal safety, and certainly for insurance coverage reasons. Perhaps that's why there aren't a lot more problems reported attributable to being overweight? Most likely it's a reasonable fear of being involved in an accident, and determined to be running overweight, and the negative effects it would have on your legal liability and insurance coverage, I would expect.
I'm also guessing that most manufacturers add an extra cushion between their stated weight ratings and the actual amount of weight their products can handle, if pushed to the limit and beyond. Erring on the side of caution, and knowing human nature. That is purely my opinion, however.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned 2 gas class A’s and one diesel pusher. I now have a 2016 View G. Personally I hated the noise and the dog house of the Ford especially in mountain driving. The pusher was a dream and very quiet. But I wanted to downsize.

The View is quiet, maneuverable, gets 15 mpg and comfortable to drive. Plenty of power due to more torque on diesel. It does have limited OCCC but with planning we stay under weight. We found we did not really need all the stuff we used to haul around in the class A.

One factor not mentioned so far is resale value. If the View holds value over the Ford maybe the costs wash out?

Comments about generators are solved by having a diesel genset. We do and love it.

So the argument goes on. I agree look at floor plan first and get one that fits.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #31

Reasons I bought the Sprinter chassis:

15mpg
No doghouse to fight with
Good maneuverability
The three point star
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #32

If you compare a 24 Class C I am betting resale is better with the gas. Cash lost is around 20% of the total spent. The more you spend the more you loose.

With our new FourWinds 6 speed trans model the engine is quiet and feels like it is not even working. Great improvement.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 AM   #33

I see there have been a couple of comments wondering about resale value of gas vs diesel. Since I just recently did a lot of research before buying our Navion I can tell you the following. If you look up the value of a used RV and you enter the engine as diesel then you get a message that says you don't need to enter the mileage as high miles do not affect the value of a diesel. So I am pretty sure that in RVs just like in pickups the diesels hold their value better than gas vehicles.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #34

I looked up on NADA two 2010 Winnebago RVs about the same size. 25ft Class C one had a diesel and one gas. The diesel you would have lost 50K and gas 40K.
They both had 50K miles.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
I looked up on NADA two 2010 Winnebago RVs about the same size. 25ft Class C one had a diesel and one gas. The diesel you would have lost 50K and gas 40K.
They both had 50K miles.
lol
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #36

Statistics don't lie but liars use statistics, as the saying goes.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #37

Mercedes-Benz is Ditching Diesel in the U.S. - The Drive
The above article from 5 days ago says that Mercedes will be withdrawing their diesels from the US market with the exception of the Sprinter Chassis vehicles.
tahoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #38

I predict most all new motorhomes will be electric within 20 years.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
I predict most all new motorhomes will be electric within 20 years.
Well they better double the country's power plants & electrical grid infrastructure for all these planned electric vehicles . During some peak periods now , they aren't quite adequate already.
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Every time I see another diesel vs gas thread on this site I am amazed at the abject terro that diesel seems to induce in Americans, over here in Europe fully 50% of new CAR sales are diesel, I doubt you could find a van or pickup with a petrol engine and certainly nothing as big as a motorhome (Somewhat ironically American import RV's excepted).

Me and my family have been driving diesels since the '80s cars, motorhomes, pickups, RV's they are not some kind of voodoo, working on them really isn't much different to working on a gas engine (except you need to do it less often).

Diesels you have nothing fear about them but fear itself.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #41

Yes it is amazing how badly people will bash something they know nothing about. I first worked on diesel engines back in the 70's when I worked for a farm equipment dealer. During the five years I worked there I overhauled many many gasoline engines. I don't think I overhauled even one diesel tractor engine. The life of a well built diesel is amazing. I have also owned several other diesels. I have a 28 horsepower Kubota tractor. I have used it to power a 5 foot wide bush hog for over 8 hours of continuous use and only used slightly over 6 gallons of diesel fuel. No way you can do that with a gasoline engine.

Respectfully
Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hehe

Tags
diesel, gas