Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Diesel vs Gas Suspension

My wife and I plan on jumping into a rv for the first time in 4-5 years when I retire.We're doing a lot of research and have found some great info. One of the apparent nuances to me is the difference in suspensions between gas and diesel. In talking to a long time rv'r who has owned both and is into the detail says the standard suspension on diesels provide a much better ride and overall handling than that provided on a gas rig.

My wife is in this 100% and plans on splitting the driving 50/50. I've heard and read nightmare stories about "white knuckle" driving on gas rigs in wind and rough road conditions because the suspensions and front ends are just too weak/loose. Whereas the suspensions on many diesels are a "dream" to drive and one doesn't need huge biceps to handle them.

I's appreciate everyone's thoughts, experiences and insights.

joellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
No doubt a diesel rig will ride better. They will most likely drive better also, but the gassers have made great improvements in both areas. It really comes done to how much you want to spend. They both provide the same comfort while parked at a camp site. I'd suggest doing a search to read the many, many Diesel VS Gas threads.

1998 Southwind Storm 34S
2015 Ford Focus Hatchback SE
Retired Air Force 1981-2006
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
I think it safe to say also, that unless you're talking about a very large DP w/tag axle, there's going to be a learning/getting used to driving a class A curve when it comes to coach handling in cross winds - gas or DP. You're so much higher off the ground driving these compared to a car or pick up, the seats absolutely move back and forth further and more often - even without a side wind, just following imperfect pavement. These motions, and the unnecessary steering corrections to correct for that movement, will make a nervous driver crazy at first.... something you might want to take in small doses early on?

Point being, some of the terrible handling you hear about, be it gas or diesel, is more about being used to driving while sitting in a seat so much further up off the road. It takes a while to get used to that - and I'm not talking about an hour or 2. It may take a few thousand miles to get comfortable......
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Diesels most likely handle the best. That said I driven some that gave you the white knuckles. I have through the years driven RV setups. And feel it is more the individual RV. How it is setup weight, tires, alignment and maybe after market add ons. And then there is pavement conditions, weather, plus wind and whether on flat growing, curves or mountainous driving. Drive at length the unit you want and make a decision on that RV.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I plan on jumping into a rv for the first time in 4-5 years when I retire.We'reng a lot of research and have found some great info. One of the apparent nuances to me is the difference in suspensions between gas and diesel
You posted this question in the class c section, and if you're looking at a class c diesel....I don't think there is much difference in the suspension at all (at least there wasn't in the few we looked at).

If however you are thinking about a class a, then yes there is a significant difference in the chassis between the two.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Check this thread out - Class c highway handling.

In addition to helpful posts by others, I have a few posts in it where I discuss how I took my new Class C from what might have been a white-knuckler to something that drives close to a large SUV, for less than $1500 in a few very easy mods.
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2800QSF
2013 Ford C-MAX SEL towed
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
white knuckle driving is typically caused by a mh built on a chassis that is at its limit of capacity.. I drive a super C and it drives like a large suv.. I do notice a slight wind shift when passing semi trucks but its not that significant.. My friend has a 28 ft ford 450 chassis and he has experienced white knuckle driving in a number of situations. ie cross winds, passing trucks.. A marginal chassis and small tires. bad combination..
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Thumbs up chassis difference

yes there is a big difference between the 450 chassis and the 550 diesel chassis, i own a 2015 super c, cross winds nor semis have very little effect, it just goes, up any hill at any speed, there is sum play in the front end, its new so im asking around, it may be alignment or may need a steering stabilizer. but all in all a very stable and good riding mh.
powersrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
It really depends on what MH you buy, and realize you get what you pay for. Either way gas or diesel, when driving a Class A if you are on a bad road you are going to feel it. The Diesels definitely drive better but they should, as the Ventana version of our MH was about $100k more OTD than we paid with basically the same amenities.

But that doesn't mean the Gas MH's necessarily drive bad. Ours drives great, tracks well, doesn't roll or sway, and doesn't get pushed around by wind or big trucks. Ours was ordered with a bigger chassis than the stock version, and has some factory installed options that give it a better ride. It has plenty of power, and will get you anywhere you want to go. The biggest reason we went with a Gas model is that I can do all my own maintenance and I hate to leave my MH for anybody to work on unless I absolutely have to. Both are great MH's you just have to decide what is most important to you. Good Luck, continue doing your research and you will find a MH you love.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas, suspension