Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Disable E450 clearance and marker lamps after locking

I have a new 2014 Itasca Cambria 27K built on a Ford E450 and when I lock the doors using the power lock button, the cab clearance lights and tail lamps light up and stay lit for about 15 seconds.

This will be very annoying at night in a campground, although at least the headlamps don't come on!

Does anyone know how to disable this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pretty sure all the newer Ford E450 do this, even just opening the front cab doors will light things up.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The clearance lights shouldn't be so bright as to annoy folks behind closed curtains. I'd just enjoy the feature as it gives you a few lighted steps away from your campsite. It might be something a dealer could reprogram in the ECU. In my car I had the annoying chirp when the remote locks or unlocks reprogrammed out so I didn't annoy people around. It was enough to blink the turn signals.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
I have a new 2014 Itasca Cambria 27K built on a Ford E450 and when I lock the doors using the power lock button, the cab clearance lights and tail lamps light up and stay lit for about 15 seconds.
This will be very annoying at night in a campground, although at least the headlamps don't come on!
tfiedler
A patio light, a "scare light", a docking light, or a string of awning lights, left on all night might annoy some people, (and rightfully so).

However, IMO, anyone who is annoyed by 15 seconds of light from your clearance and tail lamps is far to sensitive.

BTW, I often turn my clearance lights ON, (with a switch that I added), in the evening while camping....(no one has ever complained).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

They really are quite bright, and they would annoy me. I'd like manufacturers to leave this nanny stuff off, or at least give people a way to disable it. I'm going to have to look into having the ECU reprogrammed to disable this feature, it really does annoy me but at least the headlamps don't light like they did on my first motorhome.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I cut the wire to the door closure switch and put a switch in which in one position the system does not know the door is open. Moving the switch allows normal operation.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

I heard that if you knew your dealer or tech then they might program the computer to "Police Blackout" which would eliminate the lights. The problem is in later years you might not get a tech to return the programming to normal and the next buyer might think that the switch is broken...

Or you can take off the kick panel and find the wire that "Trips" when the door is opened. Basically it is grounded when closed & not grounded when open. Cut it & run it to a rocker switch on the drivers side door panel - grounding the switch so that when activated it would keep the wire grounded.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #8

I would read the Ford owners manual. You might be able to turn this feature off.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Well, I checked the owner's manual and no joy. Cannot find anything in there that alludes to disabling the parking lamps or running lamps. Bummer.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Install standard TOWED VEHICLE fuse switch in the fuse for that circuit.

This is a very expensive kit you can get that consists of a plug that looks just like a standard blade fuse, an INLINE fuse holder and a switch.

Of course you can home brew cheaper.. Two spade connectors replace the fuse. Do not forget the in-line fuse holder (it gets the existing fuse)
Turn switch off, lights no longer work at all.