Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Discount Tire Warranty

Thought I'd post this in case others find it useful for maintaining MH tires.

Discount Tire has something called a Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement. In my opinion it's worth buying the warranty from them as they will rotate/balance for life. And, very importantly, unlike most (all?) other warranties, Discount Tire warrants the *sidewalls* (most tire warranties do not cover the sidewalls, and sidewall damage is unrepairable).

You don't have to have purchased the tires from Discount (mine were factory new on my MH)...they just have to be tires they can get. I took my new 2017 Sunseeker with really nice Michelin tires to them soon after picking it up from the dealer. They look at the tires, and then you can buy the warranty. While I was there I had them balanced (they just jacked it up in the parking lot one wheel at a time). While all but one need some balancing, only one tire was really out of balance (nice job Forest River). We've put about 5800 miles on it in the past 2 months, so I'll be taking it in for a rotate/balance.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. We have purchased certificates for the OEM tires on several new vehicles over the years. Once I punctured a sidewall on an OEM tire that I had not yet purchased the certificates DT allowed me to purchase the certificates, pay the $50 reinstatement fee, and they replaced the tire. Total cost was less than the replacement tire would have cost, plus i now had certificates for all the tires.

I wish I could do this with 315/22.5's
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

I think Discount Tire folks are among the nicest group of folks I've dealt with in automotive maintenance. My Discount Tire has fixed two flats for me with no charge on a used vehicle I purchased awhile back with tires about 5-10K miles away from replacing, and they also did a rotate/balance at no charge (same vehicle). I was willing to hand them money...but they said "just buy new tires from us when these go and get the warranty then."

I'll be a DT customer for life.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Just throwing this out there. My personal experience with Discount is not very good, and yet since they were the most available and price was best, I have used them the most in my 30 years of driving, while I lived in Texas.

If you are buying new tires, they are pretty good.

BUT!!! If you are coming in for warranty work, or to get a balance, rotation, patch, etc. they have been horrible.

I have sat several times for a "low-cost" job, and watched 6, 8 or 12 people drive in after me, get their jobs done, and leave, before mine is even put on the rack I am sorry, it should be first come, first served, regardless of if my job is a hi dollar, low dollar, or free-warranty job.

I recently moved to Oregon, and had the option of Discount or Les Schwab. Tried Les Schwab just to see if I like their service. Brought in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with a leaky tire, and I could not find a nail or anything. Needed rotation, too. They pulled it off, found an old patch that was failing and leaking. Fixed it with a new patch. Rotated my tires. Done in an hour.

Cost...ZERO!!! The guy said "we don't charge for that kind of stuff, and hope you will come back in the future"

We will!
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

scottandanna, that's interesting. I've been to many Discount Tire locations over the years and always had good service. I do have to say *my* DT is the tops of all the DT stores that I've been in.

The thing that I really like is the sidewall coverage...since sidewalls are essentially not repairable. If my expensive RV tire suffers sidewall damage I'll get a new tire. I have an RV buddy that had sidewall failure happen in Canada (no DTs there), so he had to buy a new tire himself. He took the receipt to his local DT and they sent him a check for what DT would have charged for the tire.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Discount Tire / Americas Tire is my go to place for off road tires for the jeep. Their certificates are excellent for the not uncommon case of tearing up a tire when off roading. Always good service. I stop by for the annual rotation.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
scottandanna, that's interesting. I've been to many Discount Tire locations over the years and always had good service. I do have to say *my* DT is the tops of all the DT stores that I've been in.

The thing that I really like is the sidewall coverage...since sidewalls are essentially not repairable. If my expensive RV tire suffers sidewall damage I'll get a new tire. I have an RV buddy that had sidewall failure happen in Canada (no DTs there), so he had to buy a new tire himself. He took the receipt to his local DT and they sent him a check for what DT would have charged for the tire.
I am not trying to say that their warranty isn't good, it is VERY good. But in my experience, I have had to wait until the "paying customers" get their work done, then they will do my warranty work.

I work for a living, and I don't usually have 3 or 4 hours to hang around with my vehicle out of commission, so this wait is out of the question for me.

It is way more worth my money to spend $120 for a new tire, installed, balanced, and out the door in an hour, than it is to waste a couple hours sitting and reading facebook on my cell phone while I wait for "my turn" for a "free" warranty job.

Usually, I just pull to the side of the road and do it myself, but right now, I am traveling and living full-time out of a trailer, and I do not have all my tools, so I have to get my tires and oil services done by Jiffylube etc. or whoever I can find while on the road.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting. I've used them many years on my personal and work trucks. This is the way a typical service goes for me. When I had my 3 axle toy hauler, I made an appointment to get the tires rotated and balanced on a Sat AM. I left my house, drove 15 min to Lakeway, they rotated and balanced all 6 tires, I drove 15 min home, and I was gone a total of 1 hr 25 min. They had 2-3 guys working on it from start to finish. Looked like a Nascar crew on a pit stop.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Interesting. I've used them many years on my personal and work trucks. This is the way a typical service goes for me. When I had my 3 axle toy hauler, I made an appointment to get the tires rotated and balanced on a Sat AM. I left my house, drove 15 min to Lakeway, they rotated and balanced all 6 tires, I drove 15 min home, and I was gone a total of 1 hr 25 min. They had 2-3 guys working on it from start to finish. Looked like a Nascar crew on a pit stop.
I lived in the Houston area, and sadly, it did not go like that for me, and I mean at about 6 different locations from Lake Jackson, to Humble/Atascocita, to Baytown, and Huntsville.

I would get there (no appointment, most of the time), and wait two to three hours, while watching others drive up, get their work done, and drive away. Maybe 8 or 10 people, before lunch break came around and I got a chance to get my warranty work done.

Not an issue anymore. I have moved from Texas, and will now use Les Schwab.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

My only gripe about DT is that they aren't open on Sunday - their choice but it keeps me from using them as I am just as likely to need tire service on Sunday as any other day (actually probably more likely as it's a day I'm likely to be out and about doing a little sightseeing or whatever)
kevindtimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
HMMM! I did not know that. I guess I have never tried, since I live out in the boonies and rarely go to town on Sundays. There once was a time you couldn't buy tires or many other items on Sunday, in Texas.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The first new set of tires I bought for my pickup was at Les Schwab. The service was great, but the tires shook at 35 and 55-60 MPH, where I spend most of my time driving. They could never find the problem, and I had them balanced at four different LS stores, each saying they were out of balance but are fine now, and the vibration wouldn't go away. The tires cost $1200. They lasted 45K miles. Not satisfied with my LS experience with their tires. but their service is excellent.

I just bought a set of Michelin Defender M/S tires at Discount Tire. The set was $1200 including warranty certificates. The vibration is gone. I already have tried them out and I have more traction than I had with the LS tires. The Michelin tires are guaranteed to go 50K miles. There are DT shops all over the country, but Les Schwab is only in the west, mainly the NW.

If I have Michelin tire or Discount Tire problems, I'll be sure to say so somewhere on the IRV2 forum. I'm already much happier and I've only had the tires for two days. They are quieter and the ride seems smoother. I had Michelins, LTXs, on two vehicles before the pickup, and they lasted more than 60K miles, but I wasn't towing with those cars.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindtimm View Post
My only gripe about DT is that they aren't open on Sunday - their choice but it keeps me from using them as I am just as likely to need tire service on Sunday as any other day (actually probably more likely as it's a day I'm likely to be out and about doing a little sightseeing or whatever)
Got a spare tire for sunday's? (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote