Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Do airbags help reduce sway when large trucks pass you on highway?

Class c motorhomes

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Not as much as putting on a Davis Tru track. Air bags help with sway like heavy duty shocks but the rear track bars really make a difference in the wind.

Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

IMHO yes they do. The important point is to inflate them to the proper level for the load you are carrying. It may take a few adjustments to hit the sweet spot, but they did wonders for my C.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

The rear track bars hole the leaf springs straight. The air bags help with load up and also help the leaf springs with the load.

I put a rear track bar on my last class a and it made a huge difference when truck went by you.

I am going to put on our new class c.

I bought my last one from Henderson Rv.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

I am glad to stumble upon this thread. Driving on Interstate when I truck passes us, the first half of the truck seems to blow us off the road, the second half of the truck seems to suck us into him. I was thinking shocks, although other than trucks it seems to ride fine. 2004 Gulfstream 30' class c. I will get some bags and try that. LK
Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had our 31' class C, I added air springs front and rear, Bilstein HD shocks and heavier anti-roll bars to stop the side to side sway of the chassis. The standard suspension is not up to handling the big box that is hung on the back of the truck.

I would say that the effect of the changes were as follows:
air springs, 15%
HD shocks, 40%
Anti-roll bars, 45%.

Ken
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would say that the effect of the changes were as follows:
air springs, 15%
HD shocks, 40%
Anti-roll bars, 45%.

Ken
As a racer and suspension tuner I would concur with Ken. The purpose of anti-roll bars and stiffer shocks are to reduce the type of body movement (roll) that induces sway.

BTW Ken, just noticed your blue flame.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

When you use the term "anti-roll bars," is that the same as "rear trac bars?" I'm about to pull the trigger on some type of suspension upgrade for my new C and want to get the most effective solution to tame the sway.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob, I posted this in another thread on "Sway Bars".

This is a Panhard Rod. It prevents side-to-side movement of the body over the suspension. It does not affect roll resistance or spring loading of the wheels.

This is a "sway bar" or as properly displayed, an anti-roll bar. It does not affect side-to-side movement. It is twisted as the body leans, and in doing so loads the outside tire. This increases roll resistance, and will increase spring loading of the wheels on one-wheel bumps, but is not affected by bumps or dips that affect both wheels (the entire axle).

As you can see they have very different functions. If you are getting lateral movement between the body and the suspension, you want to install panhard rods (or trac bars as some call them). If you are getting instability due to body roll, you need stiffer sway bars and shocks.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
When you use the term "anti-roll bars," is that the same as "rear trac bars?" I'm about to pull the trigger on some type of suspension upgrade for my new C and want to get the most effective solution to tame the sway.
No. Anti sway or anti roll bars keep the coach from rocking side to side. Track bars do just that, they keep your differential in track with your frame. I put Helwig anti sway bars and air bags front and rear on my last C and they made a world of difference.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

A great tutorial on sway bars vs. panhard bars.

Also, with class C motorhomes, I believe these RV's tend to have a lot of rear overhang, and this contributes to rear sway. My reasoning is that the van-derived front suspensions have limited carrying capacity, so the additional rear overhang has a cantilever effect to place more of the weight on the dual rear wheels. No offense intended to class C owners, just hoping to add information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Bob, I posted this in another thread on "Sway Bars".

This is a Panhard Rod. It prevents side-to-side movement of the body over the suspension. It does not affect roll resistance or spring loading of the wheels.

This is a "sway bar" or as properly displayed, an anti-roll bar. It does not affect side-to-side movement. It is twisted as the body leans, and in doing so loads the outside tire. This increases roll resistance, and will increase spring loading of the wheels on one-wheel bumps, but is not affected by bumps or dips that affect both wheels (the entire axle).

As you can see they have very different functions. If you are getting lateral movement between the body and the suspension, you want to install panhard rods (or trac bars as some call them). If you are getting instability due to body roll, you need stiffer sway bars and shocks.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #12

When a truck passes you the MH gets pushed around side to side.

This is what I understand the rear track bar will help with. Keeping the leaf springs straight.

I put a rear track bar on my 2008 Class A and it really helped with trucks passing.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
When a truck passes you the MH gets pushed around side to side.

This is what I understand the rear track bar will help with. Keeping the leaf springs straight.

I put a rear track bar on my 2008 Class A and it really helped with trucks passing.
Exactly right.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Exactly right.
I am thinking of putting on some type of Tru Track bar on our 2005 Gulf Stream class C to help with the rear sway. Which brand is better.

wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote