Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Do I need a brake assist system

I purchased a 2006 conquest Ultra with a ford chassis. Along with it a purchased a vw beetle as a toad. It has a invisibrake in it but it seems to not be hooked up. The man used a tow light system instead of the lights on the vw.

While I will be towing mostly in Florida, I will probably be in the mountains some. Do I need to try to get the invisibrake working.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I purchased a 2006 conquest Ultra with a ford chassis. Along with it a purchased a vw beetle as a toad. It has a invisibrake in it but it seems to not be hooked up. The man used a tow light system instead of the lights on the vw.

While I will be towing mostly in Florida, I will probably be in the mountains some. Do I need to try to get the invisibrake working.
My answer is Yes.
My question is, why would you even consider towing a vehicle without Any Control over its actions?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Yes you do. If the vehicle breaks away and kills someone, you will be proven negligent IMHO. Just recently heard of a 19 yr old that died on the east coast because a pull behind smoker broke away and hit them head on. Please do not tow without a working supplemental brake.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
dms

Absolutely yes. Aside from the liability mentioned for negligence, some states require brakes on anything over 2,000 lbs towed. In other words, if you travel into a state with a weight limit law without brakes, you could be stopped and ticketed. Moreover, they could make you unhook and leave your toad on the side of the road until you get brakes to it.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #5

Its been my belief that most of the manufactures of coaches put just what's needed in the form of braking... the exception would some of the larger Class A with air brakes...

As you descend a hill in the range of 5-6% downgrade... you'll want that extra braking of the toad to keep the load under control... and like the others above... you'll want to be legal as well...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

When determining Gross Combined Weight Rating (vehicle plus trailer), it is assumed that the trailer has its own brakes. So yes, there needs to be auxiliary braking for the toad.

Also, and most importantly, the auxiliary braking system is a moral necessity to stop the toad if it should break away.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, In rare cases the hitch may break. You are still responsible to make sure the vehicle stops.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake