Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #15

If you have a spare on board and couldn't change it your self, blow $75 or so on a good roadside assistance plan (like Good Sam). It works for any vehicle you own. Great piece of mind and they'll come to change your tire for you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #16

spare

Have a spare Lot cheaper to have GS roadside than a 3-4 hundred bill for a tire and
changer. Plus more relaxing time and no worries. Which you should not worry when RETIRED Relax and smell the roses.....
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

do you carry a spare tire?

I had a very bad experience with road side assistance for changing tires. On Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend, the tire valve on the rear left external wheel blew out. I drove slowly to the next exit and on to a parking lot. I called AAA as we we have full RV coverage. After waiting about 2 hours they called us to let us know that the person who they expected to come couldn't, and they were looking for someone else. As it was late we decided to sleep in the parking lot and had to call the Sunday morning and start another request as it was not possible to schedule something for the next morning.
The next morning we called again and waited about 2 more hours until someone could come. The person showed up with a flatbed truck ad a 1.5 ton jack. Even though we had said or RV was a 14000# class C motorhome. After trying obviously unsuccessfully to lift the real axle, the person just left and AAA went to search for another company. About 2 hours later another person came with a heavy duty towing truck, and a 2 ton jack. As the jack failed also he proposed lifting the RV from rear overhanging frame. As I pointed out that I didn't think it was a safe jacking point, he called his boss who suggested to drive the inner wheel on a wood block. It worked and we were able to install the spare tire that we carried under the motorhome.
Less than one hour on our way, the tire valve of the right rear external wheel blew out. We were now out of spare tire and about 15 miles from the nearest town. After calling again AAA the only thing they proposed since we didn't have another spare tire was to tow to the nearest repair service.
Since I didn't think it would be possible to tow on the front wheel or be safe to tow on the rear wheel with a flat tire, we decided to get a taxi to the nearest airport, rent a car, and get the valve of the first tire fixed. I also bought a 12 ton bottle jack and 22mm socket and cheater bar. I already had a breaker bar.
With the correct tools, changing the tire was actually easy and took less than 30 minutes.
By then it was late in the evening and we spent our second night on the side of the road.
The next morning we had the second tire repaired, just in case. On our way home, at a restaurant, I checked the tires and found the initial spare tire was unusually hot. As a precaution we replaced it with the original tire we had just fixed.
Lesson from this is counting on AAA for tire assistance is not the best idea. Also having a $30 bottle jack and a few tools and a spare tire can save a lot of times, especially when traveling to remote area.
I am still curious about wether it is possible or not to tow a motorhome with flat rear tire, and wether it is safe to jack the motorhome from the rear frame.
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I do have a spare that is underneath the back of the rear axel. It is a 16" rim. and I can change it myself if needed. Most likely will call road service and have it changed if I get a flat.
How about some pictures. I need to mount one under my class c and can't decide on how best to do. If others have a good idea why reinvent the wheel. I have thought about modifying the crank up system like on dually trucks.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #19

Many times a spare tire is hard to come by, in an emergency, in remote areas. With a road service they must find a tire your size and bring it out, if they can't your Sol. Buy a good used tire(no rim) like the one you have and carry it under your bed(if you have a lift up bed) ) otherwise fined a location. You will have peace of mind.
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I just don't want to deal with tires. I'll call AAA and have them work with it. The lugs are on too tight, I'm not as strong as I used to be. I admit it. If they don't have it the first time around (the tire that is) I'll wait until they do. I have my home with me.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Our C came with a mounted spare located between the rear frame rails. There's a cable winch setup that's cranked from the right rear basement compartment. I'm with those who think it's better to carry a spare if you can - that way you have the option of choosing where & when you purchase a replacement tire and are not a hostage to whatever the roadside assistance guy wants to charge you (likely at a high price). Also it eliminates one of two problems (1. finding an appropriate tire, 2. finding a capable service person). I'm all for reducing roadside (and wallet) stress.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #22

We carry our spare mounted on a Roadmaster spare tire carrier... it allows you to still have the use of the receiver hitch, and has a system built in to lower the 80 pound tire and wheel to the ground. Our bike rack attaches to the back of the tire carrier.

We would never try to change it ourselves, we just call AAA and use the AAA Plus RV.

This is a link to the tire carrier, and they have a video on how it works...

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We carry our spare mounted on a Roadmaster spare tire carrier...

This is a link to the tire carrier, and they have a video on how it works...

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Very interesting, I'll have to look into this more. Who knows, maybe I'll to carry a spare for the tire changer guy, just not me.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our class C has a spare on the rear underneath and a second spare pm a tire mount at the back.

After a trip through Utah 5 yrs ago where road debris too out two rear tires onu dually truck w camper DH set the Motor home up to carry two spares just in case.

I can change my own tire of the roadside service can't send someone on a reasonable amount of time but I prefer to use the service I pay for .
Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Aspect has a spare mounted on the rear of the coach. We have had to use it several times, due to defective tires all failing within 3000-4000 miles of each other, all at around 26,000-30,000 miles. Fortunately we have Coach Net, they have been great. The tires were covered by Discount Tire, so minimal out of pocket for us.
Four of the six tires I bought failed, all tread separation issues . Stay away from BF Goodrich Commercial T/A.
I'm replacing the steer tires before the next trip.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote