Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you travel with gen set on

Hi gang,

another newbe question. When going down the highway, what systems do you have on? Are you running the refer off of propane or A/C power, and if propane does the pilot stay lit?. What about Air conditioner, will the engine A/C compressor cool enough to cool the whole cabin, or do you have to run the electric A/C unit? I really wanted to say A/C powered A/C, but I thought that confusing.

Thanks again

Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
If it is hot then you most likely will have to run the genset crankin your big ACs...your choice on the fridge...but yes...nothin wrong runnin the genset while underway!

Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a matter of personal preference. I operate the refer on propane until I need the air cond. and then fire up the genny. I like the whole house cooled off , not just the cockpit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Dave, the best advice from me is to try things out and see if it works for you and if you need 120 vac fire it up and run it. I very seldom have to run ours going down the road, My a/c in my dash will keep the inside cool when outside is in the 80-90 deg. traveling. If you need to run you rooftop a/c units due to the fact that the dash a/c is not keeping up for sure start it up and make it confortable inside for yourself. My hot water is heated by my coolant when traveling, I would say if you don't have this feature you could heat it up on propane to make hot water and my fridge is on propane when traveling till I get plugged in to shore power. I hope this helps you out....
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
I prefer to keep the propane turned off at the tank for safety reasons. When driving, I power the refer with the inverter. That means I am using the 12 volts produced by the engine's alternator. For stops of less than two hours, I just turn the refer off - It will hold temps OK for that long.

If it's hot enough to need the house A/C, I turn on the genny and run the refer off of that also.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I run the AC units with the generator.

If the generator is running I switch the refer and HW heater over to ac to save the hassle of finding a propane stop. If the generator is not running to power the AC units then I run the refer and NW heater with propane.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
When we leave FL in the spring our propane is on and the refrigerator is on auto. 90% of the time on the road the roof ACs are on so the generator is running. When it is not, the fridge automatically switches to propane. It is on 24/7 except when we refuel. We also are likely to be running a slow cooker and a bread machine while driving, as well as, two or three computers and a Keurig coffee maker.

Our philosophy regarding AC and appliances is that comfort and convenience always determines when and how they are used.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
In most DP's the engine heat when you stop can be pretty warm. We set the bedroom AC to 68* and the front AC to about 69*. Water heater on 110 and so is the fridge. We set the dash AC to off and run the dash vents to circulate the air. When we head east(sun on me) we lower the temps a little more! We crossed the country in 105* last summer and there is no way just run the dash air. Do what is comfortable for you and DW.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Is it OK, while driving, to run the generator to power the furnace?
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
'04 Fleetwood Sedona / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
You should not need to run the Generator to operate the furnace it runs on 12 V.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I drive with the genny on. runs the roof acs, frig. The rig is cool and that way I also excercise the genny that way.

Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED, Honda Fit
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
danf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's ok to run the genny to power the house AC if needed. I run the from from LP when traveling unless the genny is on for the AC.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
Propane only hot water heaters (DSI without 120v electrode) typically will not stay lit when driving. At least that is the case with ours. Haven't had any problems with keeping the fridge lit on the road - we did that for our trip to Yellowstone last year.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Dash air can't keep us cool on a hot day. We run the generator and roof air. As stated above it is also good exercise for the generator.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote