Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
no oil additives, but I do use Lucas fuel treatment once in awhile. not a 100 percent sure that it is necesary, but it makes me feel better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #16

If Amsoil where necessary, our rigs would come with it from the factory.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #17

I use Mystery Oil when I winterize! Starts right up in the spring like it's been used all winter! I think Mystery Oil is just like Stabil!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put79 View Post
If Amsoil where necessary, our rigs would come with it from the factory.
No one said Amsoil is necessary. Only that if fuel systems are dirty, cleaners can help. And if e10 gasoline is to be stored for over a month, stabilizers can help. Most of the rig manufacturers agree and recommend and often sell such products.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by judypupek View Post
I use Mystery Oil when I winterize! Starts right up in the spring like it's been used all winter! I think Mystery Oil is just like Stabil!
I also use Marvel Mystery Oil to clean the fuel injectors out.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #20

Lucas is about 80 weight, give or take, the same viscosity as gear oil. Why do people feel it necessary to put it in engines designed to run on 5W20?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
A7X

I bought some seafoam. Can't wait to throw it in!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a DP so, no I don't use a gas treatment. I do sometimes use a diesel treatment though, but not lately.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter View Post
Lucas is about 80 weight, give or take, the same viscosity as gear oil. Why do people feel it necessary to put it in engines designed to run on 5W20?
The only reference I could see in this thread to Lucas products was fuel treatment, which is the subject of the thread.

Did I miss something?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two (well 3) kinds of gas treatment, I will discuss all 3.

First: Gas line antifreeze, also called "Dry Gas or Dri Gas (Tm), Used to be useful if you driver your vehicle in the great frozen north in the winter time.. Gas line freezup is a PITA trust me (pain in the anatomy)

Since the government started letting gas companies make fatter profits by adding alcohol to the fuel at the plant.. Well, that is gas Line Antifreeze don't you know. You no longer need it if you are buying E-Anything greater than zero.

Sta-bil, Sea-Foam, (Both TM) fuel stabilizers.. Highly recommended for winter storage (Any storage over a month or two) epically with the new "E" fuels.

Other additives such as "Injector Cleaner".. This is used "in season" and claims to clean the injectors or carb ports to make your engine run better.... Your choice. I am not convinced they do anything of value,, I drove a TBFI engine about 200,000 miles without using any and never had any problems that could be ascribed to dirty ports.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Ok, here's the rest of the story. The friend pushing for me to use a gas treatment is being pressured by someone wanting him to become an Amsoil distributer.

I think I'll use some Gumout next tank and call it done. I full-time so Stabil isn't needed.

Thanks All!
Thats not the definition of a "friend". Matter of fact... I dont keep company with MLM types. I do have friends that are natural salespeople and do it professionally. (sales not MLM).
Any time someone feels the need to "pitch" me... it makes it very easy to classify them as a "non friend".
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
one last comment about "pouring" troubles away. Seafoam, lucas, etc might do as they claim on the labels, and the end user may find that paying $80+/gallon for these easily available chemicals is a bargain. There are a small percentage of chemicals that professionals do use and the availability is getting scarce thanks to the EPA.
Stuff you buy at retail or through special dealer networks is a rouse.

For folks that have small fleets of nondisposible vehicles... AVgas 100LL is still a viable option. Also ethanol free fuels are pretty easy to get at a $.75 gallon premium but not the same quality as avgas (which still has lead in it)

I find it shameful the fuel markets are manipulated by Govt mandated standards but the chemical companies only need a "pretty" label to sell you $80/gallon fixes that should be in the fuel to start.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
For folks that have small fleets of nondisposible vehicles... AVgas 100LL is still a viable option. Also ethanol free fuels are pretty easy to get at a $.75 gallon premium but not the same quality as avgas (which still has lead in it)
Sure hope you're not advocating putting 100LL AVGAS in something that doesn't have a propeller in the front.

Aside from the fact that it's illegal, even relatively small amounts could have very unwanted results.

I agree with the ethanol-free gasoline, but never AVGAS.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
I don't have a v10 how ever I am a ASE cert. tech. and I have worked for ford for many years and have owned my own ford race shop. seafoam is very good and as far as oil treatment I say heck yes lucas oil treatment is by far the best. and I use it every other oil change. and for the diesel people out there lucas fuel treatment I use it on every tank. because U.S. desel is very dirty!

with that said my last 7.3l ford had 598k on it when I sold it. and it still runs great. the truck before that my chevy 3500 with a 454 had 423k when the motor blew but most of them miles was pulling very heavy loads. my 97 custom f250 4x4 7.3L has 199k on it now and I'll keep this one forever.

hope this helps!
FORD = First On Race Day!!

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas