Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you use a gas treatment?

A friend, who does not own an RV, is STRONGLY suggesting that I use a gas treatment in my RV. I have paid such little attention, I forget the brand he suggested.

Do any of you V-10 owners use a gas treatment? If so, which one and how often? My moho has 11K miles and runs great.

Any oil treatment users? Jiffy Lube put synthetic oil in last time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Do any of you V-10 owners use a gas treatment? If so, which one and how often? My moho has 11K miles and runs great.
Yes I do for my 2007 V-10. I feel with E10 gasoline, it is a necessity. I use AMSOIL's Performance Improver every 4,000 miles to clean the fuel system. And AMSOIL's Gasoline Stabilizer if I know I won't be adding fresh gasoline in a month.

Quote:
Any oil treatment users? Jiffy Lube put synthetic oil in last time.
I don't use or trust oil additive treatments. I trust the engine manufacturers to make the viscosity and API recommendations. I trust the oil manufacturers to make the oils to meet those requirements. I trust myself in making sure it is done right. I recommend against playing chemist thinking you can improve upon what teams of factory and oil company tribologists do not recommend. You could make it worse and void warranties if it fails. Upgrading to a synthetic oil is a good idea if it meets the manufacturers specs.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run Seafoam thru our 2000 Adventurer V10 about twice a year to clean the injectors. I also keep Stabil in the tank.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
stabil in the tank at the end of the "season", even though i will drive it to work once every month. nothing else needed or recommended by those not trying to sell something.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #5

No gas additive. We use it all year round.
As for oil. I use what Ford uses. BLEND whatever brand I see at a good price.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

I use no gas additive but I run it all the time. If you don't, use Stabil to keep gas from varnishing.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

I don't have a v10 how ever I am a ASE cert. tech. and I have worked for ford for many years and have owned my own ford race shop. seafoam is very good and as far as oil treatment I say heck yes lucas oil treatment is by far the best. and I use it every other oil change. and for the diesel people out there lucas fuel treatment I use it on every tank. because U.S. desel is very dirty!

with that said my last 7.3l ford had 598k on it when I sold it. and it still runs great. the truck before that my chevy 3500 with a 454 had 423k when the motor blew but most of them miles was pulling very heavy loads. my 97 custom f250 4x4 7.3L has 199k on it now and I'll keep this one forever.

hope this helps!

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

I have used Sta-Bil in everything I own that is gasoline powered every fall. Or for any lengthy storage. It has served me well, never have had a problem even with 2 cycle engines. Been doing it for 40 years now.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Gas treatment every 5k. No oil treatment. Filter change with oil.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #10

Stabil in the tank for the winter months, keeps the gas from going bad....
The new gas w/10% ethanol really sucks and will not hold up during the winter.
I also use Gumout Fuel System cleaner for the injectors ever now and then.
About twice a year..
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #11

I was wondering the same thing. My V10 Ford emits a small amount of white smoke at start up, only notice on cool mornings. Everything seems normal otherwise. No lost coolant and no loss of oil. I just fired her up after sitting all winter as well. Noticed this last fall during hunting season also. Goes away after engine gets to temp. Should I be worried?
Put79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Gasoline that contains Ethanol has a great affinity for water and it will absorb way more than straight gasoline will.

When you first start the engine the water, which turns to steam during combustion, then moves down the cold exhaust system where it starts to condense again. That is likely the white 'smoke' you see.

Once the engine and exhaust are hot the water stays in the form of vapour and you don't see it.

Anytime you park a vehicle with gas / ethanol blend in the tank you should (IMHO) be adding a good quality additive to counteract the bad qualities of this bad fuel.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, here's the rest of the story. The friend pushing for me to use a gas treatment is being pressured by someone wanting him to become an Amsoil distributer.

I think I'll use some Gumout next tank and call it done. I full-time so Stabil isn't needed.

Thanks All!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok, here's the rest of the story. The friend pushing for me to use a gas treatment is being pressured by someone wanting him to become an Amsoil distributer.

I think I'll use some Gumout next tank and call it done. I full-time so Stabil isn't needed.

Thanks All!
Figures. Getting rid of those who push Amsoil is like getting rid of the religious hacks from your doorstep.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas