Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Does anyone prefer to sleep in the overhead bunk?

Is it just me? I prefer this bed to the queen bed in the bedroom. I am just shy of 6'2 and love the extra room in the overhead bunk. My wife wishes it was a bit wider, but it works for us. My 3-year-old enjoys having the back bedroom all to herself.

Anyone else prefer the over bunk for sleeping?
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

When we have company, I rather sleep up there.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
Is it just me? I prefer this bed to the queen bed in the bedroom. I am just shy of 6'2 and love the extra room in the overhead bunk. My wife wishes it was a bit wider, but it works for us. My 3-year-old enjoys having the back bedroom all to herself.

Anyone else prefer the over bunk for sleeping?
I'm 6'2" and sleep in our Class C's overcab queen bed all time when camping. No problem - it's plenty large enough and Winnebago put a thick mattress up there that's quite good. It's cozy up there ... and has great ventilation via the rooftop vent right in the ceiling above this bed with it's reversable 3-speed fan

The wife has a bad back, so she needs the entire queen bed in the back of the coach to spread out on when she sleeps.

At the head and foot of the overcab queen bed there's great extra storage room for such things as a folding outside lounge chair, a folding regular outside chair, a folding outside table, a large portable fan, boat seat cushions, etc.. All of these extra items can be left right there in place at my head and foot while I'm up there in the bed.

Folks with a Class B+ instead of a Class C don't know what they're missing!

Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

This homie's to old to be crawlin up there every night, and have no plans to start anytime soon! Now if I have company or something, that's a different story.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

In a word, "no". We ordered a low profile option to prevent it from becoming a storage closet. We'd never have slept in it.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post
This homie's to old to be crawlin up there every night, and have no plans to start anytime soon! Now if I have company or something, that's a different story.
Me too. I have to get up too many times at night. We also have a set of bunks and I do enjoy sleeping in the bottom bunk. Grandkids go in the cab bunk.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #7

As we have different sleeping hours, DW enjoys having the back bedroom to herself and I love the spacious overhead!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We just bought our Class C but don't have any intention of sleeping up there. We didn't get a ladder for it with the coach and it would be hard for either of us to climb up there without one!
DavenBarb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

I might add to my earlier post in this discussion that there is a reason that the cabover bunk in our Class C is quite useable for me: Our Class C has a coach floor that is about 4 inches higher than the cab floor, but of course the cab ceiling (which is just below the bottom of the cabover bed, above) is the same height as on any other Ford E350/E450 based Class C.

Hence, our cabover bed requires about 4 inches less climbing to get up into it. I guess that every little bit helps, because so far I have no problem using it.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way. My 71 year old plumbing says no way would it go 7-8 hours straight with out a trip to the restroom. I would not relish climbing up and down that ladder every night.

15+ years ago, I might have thought differently.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I might add to my earlier post in this discussion that there is a reason that the cabover bunk in our Class C is quite useable for me: Our Class C has a coach floor that is about 4 inches higher than the cab floor, but of course the cab ceiling (which is just below the bottom of the cabover bed, above) is the same height as on any other Ford E350/E450 based Class C.

Hence, our cabover bed requires about 4 inches less climbing to get up into it. I guess that every little bit helps, because so far I have no problem using it.
I don't plan on any climbing at my age. I'll let you younger folks do that for me.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I don't plan on any climbing at my age. I'll let you younger folks do that for me.
I'll be 77 in Sept. but only have to get up 1-2 times per night and climb down/up from/to our Class C's cabover queen bed.

However, I don't "climb" down the ladder when exiting the bed ... I just "slide" down the ladder facing out into the coach area while resting my right foot on the dinette seat cushion just to the right of the ladder.

It sure is nice having two permanent queen beds available full time when camped in only a 24 foot Class C. This small size allows us to drycamp just about anywhere that a 2WD TC can camp, but with way more room and comfort.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I'll be 77 in Sept. but only have to get up 1-2 times per night and climb down/up from/to our Class C's cabover queen bed.

However, I don't "climb" down the ladder when exiting the bed ... I just "slide" down the ladder facing out into the coach area while resting my right foot on the dinette seat cushion just to the right of the ladder.

It sure is nice having two permanent queen beds available full time when camped in only a 24 foot Class C. This small size allows us to drycamp just about anywhere that a 2WD TC can camp, but with way more room and comfort.
Maybe my overhead is more accessible but I just step onto the dinette seat and the bed becomes waist height. I spent a month bunking on an aircraft carrier a few years ago so this 65 yo man understands climbing in and out of a cramped space a couple times a night. My m/h seems easy by comparison.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Maybe my overhead is more accessible but I just step onto the dinette seat and the bed becomes waist height.
this is what I do also. I find the overhead bunk to be the roomiest bed in my RV. just need to find a mattress that does not compress so much, firm and holds its shape.