Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I believe the newer ones with the new transmission whenever that started is the best gas engine tranny combo made for medium duty vehicles.
2005 was the first year with 3V V10 and torqshift 5 transmission in the F53. You are correct, that combo in a F53 or F series truck is about as bullet proof as you can get.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The first year for the F53 V10 was 1999. There were some cases of blown spark plugs however im not sure if it is on the 99 with the non PI (power improved) heads or 2000-04. Maybe not specific to a year. However the issues seems to be very limited. New spark plugs with the longer threads and properly torqued will likely lead to having no issues.
As the new owner of a 2003 Sunseeker with the V10, I'd like to get recommendations for what spark plugs to buy that would have the longer threads but would be suitable for the engine. Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
As the new owner of a 2003 Sunseeker with the V10, I'd like to get recommendations for what spark plugs to buy that would have the longer threads but would be suitable for the engine. Thanks
I've had a 1999 and a 2004. My understanding was that the threads on the plugs was never the issue, but threads in the head was.. And by 2003, that was resolved if I recall right. Getting longer plugs won't help.

You want plugs that are plated (not bare metal) and you want to use liberal amounts of anti-seize on them. That's about it. But more than that, you want to be VERY careful getting those plugs out and getting them back in. IE - coming out, you crack 1/4 turn, soak in penetrating lube overnight, move another 1/2 turn, and soak.

Going in, you hand thread them. Use a torque wrench (inch/pounds). I bought special tools for this job, including magnetic extensions.

How many miles? A 2003 should tell you if it's misfiring if you can get to the Ford diagnostic. I'm not sure that I'd mess with it until over 60k.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone put air bags or a leveling kit on there Class C MH. If so where did you purchase them I am located in Calif. The front of my Thor outlaw sets too low. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The first year for the F53 V10 was 1999. There were some cases of blown spark plugs however im not sure if it is on the 99 with the non PI (power improved) heads or 2000-04. Maybe not specific to a year. However the issues seems to be very limited. New spark plugs with the longer threads and properly torqued will likely lead to having no issues.
I think what James was referring to about the plugs with longer threads was early plugs did have an area that was not threaded. They were threaded at the bottom with a gap between the threaded area and the plug sealing surface. Those plugs are no longer available. The main reason for plug spitting was under torque of the plug, even from the factory. The 3V engine had another issue with the two piece plug. The bottom of the plug could break off in the head if Ford's removal procedure was not followed.
BTW, sadly it appears James is no longer active on iRV2, hasn't made any posts since October last year. James was a wealth of knowledge on Ford's.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #34

On this sub-forum I see the V10 3V mentioned a lot. It is my understanding that Ford never put a 3V V10 in the E series which is the chassis for E350/E450. That said I don't know if they ever did put a 3V in the F53 chassis which I understand is the one used on the class A type RVs. As this is the Class C sub forum we should make sure our comments are about those RVs and not Class A. I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong and will freely admit I am not a Ford expert although I have owned several as well as 2 right now. If someone knows otherwise and can point me towards a source, I'll happily recant.

To the OP's original question, I owned a '99 F250 V10 which had the fewer plug threads and never spit a plug. If you install the right plugs correctly you shouldn't have a problem either. Ford increased the thread length in 2001 eliminating this as a potential weak spot. The exhaust studs are an issue and continue to be an issue. It has to do with the length of that huge piece of cast iron heating and cooling which eventually can break the studs. This doesn't happen to all or even most V10s but it happens frequently enough to be a concern. On my F250 it cost $1,400 to fix at my mechanic's.

The V10 is an excellent engine that provides excellent power and torque which is well suited for towing our use in an RV. My truck had 105K on it when I sold it and my 2008 E450 RV currently has 45K with no issues. When we were looking for RVs we found several Class C's as early as 1997 with the early V10.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Has anyone put air bags or a leveling kit on there Class C MH. If so where did you purchase them I am located in Calif. The front of my Thor outlaw sets too low. Any feedback would be appreciated.
My 99 HR came with them. The receipt read that they had been done at Firestone. Not particularly impressed.

Tags
ford, v10