Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A MH is a boat on wheels. Be prepared to maintain it or have someone else do it for you. If you don't have the stomach for such then as you mention a tent is a less complicated option with its own limitations. Good luck.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #30

MH

You got to love to hate them to love having one. They leak as much as a poorly kept tent ,but you got to love both.
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What doesn't? Home, car, wife? Up keep on the wife is a higher than the coach and a whole lot more demanding At least the coach sits quietly in the driveway. About the only thing that isn't a budget killer is maybe the dog but you still have cost going in the front and not very useful stuff coming out the back.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We used to fly back to Virginia from California to visit the great great grand kids. Passed over the countryside at 35,000 feet at 600 MPH. Missed lots of great scenery. We boarded the doge in Heartbreak Hotel (our name for the kennel) to the tune of $50.00 a day. We ate airport food, endured TSA searches, limited baggage weight and cramped seats.

Then we really messed up. We bought the motor home. We travel at 60 MPH, see the country vistas, take our dogs with us, take my own stuff, use my own shower and toilet, meet many nice folks during our travels and even have a nice captains chair to sit in while I drive.

Yup, it is a different life style. We love our motor home. We enjoy all the inconveniences of travel. Thanks for your advice, but we will suffer through with our mistake.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
We used to fly back to Virginia from California to visit the great great grand kids. Passed over the countryside at 35,000 feet at 600 MPH. Missed lots of great scenery. We boarded the doge in Heartbreak Hotel (our name for the kennel) to the tune of $50.00 a day. We ate airport food, endured TSA searches, limited baggage weight and cramped seats.

Then we really messed up. We bought the motor home. We travel at 60 MPH, see the country vistas, take our dogs with us, take my own stuff, use my own shower and toilet, meet many nice folks during our travels and even have a nice captains chair to sit in while I drive.

Yup, it is a different life style. We love our motor home. We enjoy all the inconveniences of travel. Thanks for your advice, but we will suffer through with our mistake.
Very well said!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post

We used to fly back to Virginia from California to visit the great great grand kids. We ate airport food, endured TSA searches, limited baggage weight and cramped seats.

Now you are riding in the "First Class" seats ALL the time instead of those cramped "coach" class seats sitting between two people named Sneezy and Sleepy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't notice any armored cars in funeral processions, so if you can't take it with you, might as well spend it on something you enjoy. Looking at financial statements doesn't thrill me near as much as looking out this big windshield does.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesoak View Post
They just aren't worth the money,every time you set-up something goes wrong,get a tent,lol
Are you trying to "Punk" us?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #37

tent

My two dogs "Bonnie+Clyde" love to fight over who the co-pilot will be. The popcorn stays much fresher inside watching the boob tube....
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still enjoy backpacking and sleeping in a tent occasionally. But sleeping in a nice RV bed with heat/air conditioning is much preferable to sleeping on the ground when it's hot/humid/rainy or cold and snowy. My back and hips are much better off the next morning as well.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #39

Good tents are made from canvas. Most if not all Nylon tents collect alot of humidity, originally designed to be light to carry on your back. Large nylon family tents are ok for shorter stays.

For long stays from several weeks to months I prefer a good canvas tent with plenty of room and ventilation. Any floor will be separate from the walls. What you don't want is to enclosed a canvas tent unless perhaps winter camping in the snow, shorter stays, car camping, etc. It's imperative you have good air flow and that it's aired out ever so often.

The weight of a canvas tent ranges, but most good size canvas tents are fairly heavy in weight. Depends on the canvas material, size and number of pole, amount of rope and stakes. Some canvas tents is lighter double woven to be stronger and is around 8 to 12 oz. While others are often only single weave and oz. can be around from around ~18 to 24+ oz depending on the type of water proofing, fire retardant, etc.

Larger canvas tents normally requires a pickup to haul. Some people I know carry smaller canvas tents on pack mules.

Then you need a place to setup your tent, whether it's made from canvas or nylon. I have several of enclosed tents, one being an canvas Springbar, another a canvas Kodiac and a nylon canvas Black-Pine turbo tent. All are enclosed tents which are fine for car camping shorter stays. Most Nylon tents are ok for short stays. You can possibly setup an enclosed tent for longer stays, but in some climates it becomes difficult because of rain (causes puddle of water), weather, humidly, wind, storms, etc. Most tents aren't able to withstand too much wind & rain whereas most RV's are able to weather a storm and rain water isn't normally an issue.

I have had several nylon tents all of which eventually fell a part due to high winds and were terrible in rain and humid climates. There good as temporary shelters and for backpacking but I've never owned a nylon tent that was able to last

There are other types of nylon canvas tents such as e.g. Oztents, and cabin tents made from a material with nylon integrated into the canvas. These tents are usually less prone to collect mildew, which is the number one enemy of canvas. But again most tents unless their large, open and roomy setup in dryer climates or have a wooden platform aren't going to do well for longer stays when compared to an RV.

I've used both a RV (Class-C) and a tent. When traveling with a RV it's potentially more difficult to travel on back-roads to find a camping spot, etc. when compared to a portable tent. However a RV is more comfortable, has sink to wash dishes, stove, oven, shower, water, heat and a real bed.

With a tent your more open and closer to nature and the stars. Under some circumstances such as when in the wilderness a tent is often preferred over a RV which has a tendency to close you off from any environment that it exists.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #40

They're the only thing I know that make timeshares look like a good deal!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesoak View Post
BUY it should have said. We have a Forester 2015 class c we have had problems with tv,,motors on slides,2 had to be replaced,now our fridge doesnt work. warranty well since we didnt take it 6 hrs one way to have an annual check,nope warranty wont cover it.This is just a few of the bigger things the smaller i could go on all day.
Have you checked with the manufacturer of the refrigerator? I never ran into a problem with a refrigerator manufacturer requiring a annual check for warranty coverage. Sounds like a dealer run around to me.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
TENT! Great for those who like them. I would give up camping before I give up my MH.

Tags
motorhome