Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #43

To Ludmilla:

We’ve had our new 2016 Navion since late July. We traded in our 32’ class A. While we enjoyed the roominess of the A, it was tiring on long drives and too big to go to some of the smaller campgrounds we enjoy. I find the Navion so much more comfortable to drive. The acceleration and hill climbing ability is wonderful, especially compared to the Ford V-10 gas class A. We’ve made several 3 and 4 days trips so far, so here are some answers to your questions.

~Have you found the corner bed uncomfortable in any way?
When we first looked at the four different models of the Navion, both my wife and I ruled out the corner bed of the 24J. But upon closer inspection we realized the 24J had more interior and exterior storage, and had the U-shaped dinette with the pull up footrests. So we tried out the corner bed at the dealer (laid down on it for awhile), and found it was useable. Yes, compared to a regular queen bed we’re a little closer together, and yes the person next to the wall has a bit more challenge getting out of bed if the other person is still in bed, but again it’s only a minor inconvenience.

~How comfortable is it to sit and watch TV?
The U-shaped dinette with the pull up footrests was a major selling point for the 24J. It’s very comfortable to watch TV. We each stretch out on the dinette with a pillow behind our backs.

~What mileage do you get pulling a toad?
We don’t have a toad, so can’t comment. Without a toad we’ve been getting 15-16 mpg.

~Do you have problems with storage?
We had to “downsize” on the items we can take compared to the class A. But we found that we can take all we need. We can’t carry our recliner chair in any of the exterior compartments, so when we take it we put it on the bed. There are times I need to remove some items from the compartments to take something out or put something in, but again a minor inconvenience.

~What kinds of problems have you had with the Nation? (Navion)
We’ve had no problems with the vehicle itself. The few issues we’ve had with the motorhome are being taken care of through Winnebago warranty. Those issues are:

1. The dash radio doesn’t play through the left speaker. It works fine with a CD or USB audio. The dealer said the manufacturer had never heard of that problem, but said it must be an internal failure of the unit and a new one is being sent.

2. Refrigerator wouldn’t stay running on LP. Ignitor needed to be repositioned. No problem now.

3. The upper left rear LED brake light only illuminates on the upper half. New lamp assembly being sent from Winnebago.

So far we’ve been extremely happy with our choice to downsize. As I said driving it is so much more comfortable and that was one of the main reasons to downsize along with the desire to visit some of the smaller campgrounds we used to enjoy. If there are any other questions, let me know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for your post. We pick up our view v in less than two weeks and hope our warranty issues are as simple as yours - in counting on enjoying it as much
Did you add any extras like the tire pressure monitoring system ?? We're thinking about it
Jim and Joanne
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanned View Post
Thank you for your post. We pick up our view v in less than two weeks and hope our warranty issues are as simple as yours - in counting on enjoying it as much
Did you add any extras like the tire pressure monitoring system ?? We're thinking about it
Jim and Joanne
No I did not add a tire pressure monitoring system. I did however have dually valves installed on the rear dual wheels to make it much easier to check air pressure. It should be illegal for manufacturers to make it so difficult and in some cases, nearly impossible for the average owner to check tire pressure. You may have to add dually valves of something like them to use tire pressure monitors on the valve stems. The dually valves are not cheap when you factor in the installation, but I consider them money well-spent.

I did add a 100 watt solar panel at the time of purchase.

I'd suggest giving the Mercedes manual a thorough read-thru especially if your not familiar with modern diesel vehicles. This is my first diesel vehicle and there are a few things to learn like Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and the specific requirements for motor oil and servicing.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #46

We've got a 96 Itasca 34' but have started looking for a newer rig. Looking at both Class A's and Class C's but the main thing against getting a Class C is almost of none of them come with Levelers. I guess I'm spoiled in my Class A being able to level it sitting in the drivers seat. I just can't see trying to level it by having to drive up on pads.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
When your hobby starts eating into your IRAs, it's time for a review! Overall it was an enjoyable lifestyle, but way too expensive. We miss the travel but not the cost!
We upgraded to the Magna in Feb, cost us well over 6 figures out of our savings. Then 2,600 miles later the engine self destructed. Had to close out a small IRA and add about $5,000 to it to pay the over $22,000 bill. Then my DW as terminated from her job so we lost our partially paid medical. The next week she was diagnosed with liver cancer and the only "cure" is a transplant as it's not operable. Paying over $1,600/mo for medical ins now.

And you know what? We're NOT giving up the RV!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We upgraded to the Magna in Feb, cost us well over 6 figures out of our savings. Then 2,600 miles later the engine self destructed. Had to close out a small IRA and add about $5,000 to it to pay the over $22,000 bill. Then my DW as terminated from her job so we lost our partially paid medical. The next week she was diagnosed with liver cancer and the only "cure" is a transplant as it's not operable. Paying over $1,600/mo for medical ins now.

And you know what? We're NOT giving up the RV!!
The next time I think that I need to gripe or complain, I'm going to think about your post. Best wishes.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #49

You can get HWH levelers put on the View/Nation before it comes to you if you buy new, or you can have them added. If you work with someone to order one, tell them to request the levelers be put on. Supposedly, the HWH factory is next to the Winnebago one, and they send the coach over there before it comes to you.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #50

I wonder how much total weight HWH levelers add? And the cost installed? I do miss having levelers.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #51

The HWH levelers were $5K if installed when the RV was built.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Having mine installed at lazy days in Tampa this week for $5500.
Jim and Joanne
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #53

I have decided not to change what we have. The issue was I am planning to do some big upgrades to the coach and was doing the math to figure out if it was worth putting the money into the one I have or upgrading. We are both engineers so we study things to death with spreadsheets and getting as much information as we can. We decided it was not worth putting in a lot more money to compromise so many things we really love. We did a payback period and it ended up it would take about 8 years to payback the extra money we would have to come up with (this takes into account the money to upgrade the existing coach, the fuel savings, maintenance savings and money to fix things that may break in the older coach).

We wanted a diesel and were looking at the Mercedes engine but it just does not have enough GCWR. We were looking at the Winnebago Navion or View. We pull either a Honda Fit or a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The Fit was fine but the curb weight of the Jeep is 4500 pounds. The GCWR of the Sprinter/Mercedes chassis is 15,250 pounds. The GCW of the 24M were looking at is 9800 pounds. 15250 - 9800 - 4500 = 950 pounds. That means you cannot put more than 950 pounds in the RV and Jeep - including us and the dog. When pulling the Jeep, we will definitely go over the GCWR.

Of course, all the sales people told me I could pull the Jeep just fine. I called Winnebago and the first person said the Jeep was too heavy. They sent me to someone else, and interestingly, he said, yea, we would be over the GCWR but as long as we just exceeded it by 500 pounds or less, we would be fine(!). I thought that response was interesting.

My other choice was a small gas C but we did not want to go that route. So this is a long explanation of how we decided that upgrading what we have will work best for us.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #54

We owned two Class C units and now own an Itasca Sunstar, 28' Class A. After owning it for 15 mos, and taking it on several trips to Midwest, we have belatedly come to the conclusion that wife and I preferred the driving comfort of the C units we owned previously. We have recently driven several 24' C's on Sprinter chassis' and liked the ride and sense of safety knowing that each of us had exit doors vice having access to only a mid-coach door.

I am also a bit leery of continuing to drive a coach that has multiple slides and auto levelers. Tons of posts here about multiple failures with both. We don't travel often and never stay out beyond a week so it makes sense for us to go smaller.

Good Luck!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
You can get HWH levelers put on the View/Nation before it comes to you if you buy new, or you can have them added. If you work with someone to order one, tell them to request the levelers be put on. Supposedly, the HWH factory is next to the Winnebago one, and they send the coach over there before it comes to you.
Question: If you went this route how would it impact the 1 year WBGO warranty? I am hesitant to make ANY mods to my unit until the warranty expires. Thoughts??
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #56

That is a good question - I would call Winnebago and ask them. I would not trust what the dealer would tell you.