Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Downsize from A to C?

I've heard of people going from a Class C to a Class A diesel pusher, but has anyone ever done the reverse? Gone from a Class A to a Class C? And what were the reasons you went to the C?

I'm thinking of the possibility of downsizing to a C, simply because I think the repair and maintenance costs might be considerably lower. True or not?

I sure would appreciate hearing from Class C owners who used to drive Class A diesel pushers.

Mel

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

I went from a gas A to a C. I like the smaller unit to get to the more out of the way places.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

We went from a 40 foot diesel to a 36 foot class A gas and recently went to a 24 foot class C on a Dodge Promaster chassis. We absolutely love it and there are no slides, no jacks and no tow vehicles since we can and do park it on city streets. We consider it more of a touring coach that a going camping coach where we would stay put for two weeks at a time.
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

We went from a Class 1 36ft to a Class C 26Q and love it. Some much easier to drive and love the normal doors and no more sun in my eyes.

Not going big again.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Went from 38' DO to 31' C just 3 months now. Story is I wanted to go to 42 tag, wife wanted smaller to camp where we could/might not be able to with large A. Wife won. A I am surprised I am happy with the C. I just needed to get rid of the I might need it stuff. The maintenance will be 1/4 to 1/2 the DO, insurance is less. As to amenities we have given up little, the C has almost all the A had except for total room, but again we found we had a big load of things we did not use in 8 years. We were carrying extras for guests not for us.

LEN
Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #6
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Went from 38' DO to 31' C just 3 months now. Story is I wanted to go to 42 tag, wife wanted smaller to camp where we could/might not be able to with large A. Wife won. A I am surprised I am happy with the C. I just needed to get rid of the I might need it stuff. The maintenance will be 1/4 to 1/2 the DO, insurance is less. As to amenities we have given up little, the C has almost all the A had except for total room, but again we found we had a big load of things we did not use in 8 years. We were carrying extras for guests not for us.

LEN
Hi, Len, and thanks for the reply. So, you purchased your C 3 months ago? No regrets? How long did it take you to find your C? Did you trade in your A on the C or did you sell the A outright?

We still haven't decided about the A, but with the costs to repair a DP, I'm thinking we had better sell or trade. We are simply not going to have the income in retirement to maintain a DP, as much as we love our coach. So I think it's going to be either a class C or a fifth wheel and 3/4 ton pckup truck.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I did the TT thing first. As I got older hitching and having to get out to use the bathroom in the rain were the main reasons to get a gasser class A. Loved the class A layout but did not like one door and all the steps. Also being an older Class A things were getting worn out and costly to fix sometimes.

It took about a year before I found a class C that spoke to me. I traded in the A for the C because I just did not want the hassle. Even though I took a $$$ hit on the trade I am very happy with the C.

It rides better than I expected. All of the junk found a place in the C with room to spare. I like the built in driver sun shade, three doors and there are only three steps max to get in. The shower is longer than most so I can pick up the dropped bar of soap without serious contortions.

One of the things I was looking for was a unit with a “Tow/Haul” transmission. I really liked that feature when going down hills out west towing with an F250 PSD.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We sold the DO with in mind to not buy right away. But looking right away. Saw the C we have on a lot just driving by. Looked like it was all but new yet near 10 years old. So we made an offer and it was accepted. There were a couple small fixes needed before purchase and one after, these were low dollar and normal. Did a call to the shop doing oil and work on the coach and was good referral. So did the purchase and have been pleased so far. Of course we did some up grades, two 32" TV'S and tow bar and we were ready to rock and roll. As to selling and buying, it's a scrap shoot, you will most likely be money ahead sell and buying, this puts you in a better position in my opinion for buying as your shopping options are greater and your not paying a dealer on both sides of the transaction.

Len
Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

I'll second much of the advice you've already gotten on the switch. We downsized from a 39' DP to a 30' Class C. The space in the DP was great...but getting into campgrounds, fueling up, and maintenance were the downside. It was a 2007 model that we only owned a year, but I had to replace the turbo, EGR valve, 3 exhaust manifolds, repair a cracked charge air cooler, replace an air bag, etc. That was a lot of money for a coach with only 26,000 miles (6.7 cummins ISB). Those ongoing issues and the overall hassle with the length of the coach were the driving factors.

So we decided to buy a Thor Outlaw Class C toy hauler. It is the perfect set up for us. In addition to all the great things mentioned by previous posters (easier access, easier to drive, etc.), the toy hauler created a whole new option for us. We converted the 'garage' into a bedroom and added an 8 foot sliding door in the back. The garage ramp forms a deck with side rails, and the sliding door separates the bedroom from the deck.

We traded the DP in and took a little bit of hit versus what we had paid for it the year before (not to mention the sunk repair costs), but it was worth it.

The biggest compromise has been storage space (inside and out). But we've figured out ways to make that work. So over 1 year after making the change, I'd do it again.

Bryan

ps - thought of one other fairly significant negative when you transition from a DP. The engine noise in the Class C gets to be a bit tiring on long drives (especially compared to a whisper quiet DP). But I can live with that.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #10

We started as many do, with a travel trailer (25'). After 4-5 years traded it for a Winnebago class C (31'). Then after about 6 years, traded it for a Newmar Bay Star class A (33'). We loved the extra room both inside and for outside cargo, but after about 3 years grew tired of driving it.

I always felt comfortable enough driving it, but it was tiring on a 5 hour trip. My wife also said she never felt "safe" riding in it, with no air bags, no frontal crash zone, etc. We also wanted to get back to some of the smaller campgrounds we used to enjoy. So two weeks ago we traded it for an Itasca Navion 24J on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. What a dream to drive. Plenty of power going up the mountains and 15+ mpg so far.

Last week we took it out on its maiden voyage for 3 nights just outside of town. Everything worked fine and so we decided to drive 60 miles away to the coast and find a campsite without reservations no less. That's something we never would have done with the 33' class A.

Anyway that's our downsizing story to this point. We expect that we'll be using it as much as time allows and likely going on trips farther from home.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
In 3 weeks, my downsize from a diesel Class A to a Forest River Class C Sunseeker will be complete. I ordered my C from the factory and it's being painted right now. I traded in my 2007 36' Holiday Rambler for a 31' Sunseeker. I have been driving Class A's since 2001.

Our reason for downsizing are numerous: maintenance cost of a diesel in very high, we don't have kids anymore therefore don't need the room, we don't get out enough to justify the diesel, we don't need that much storage space, I am cutting my payment in half and my insurance by 65%, DW will be able to drive the C, and so on and so on.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
also driver and passenger airbags on class Cs.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Mel (and Kate!) I'm sorry you are having such problems with your moho; that can be so discouraging...and expensive. I have recently been looking at Class C's myself, though I will have my work cut out for me to convince my hubby to downsize. (He might talk Super-C, though. )

I really like having the additional doors as on a C, plus airbags and better dash air. I also like the improved maneuverability of a smaller RV. I'm afraid tank sizes would be the deal killer for us. We enjoy staying at COE parks and others that don't have full hookups, so having larger black and gray tanks is very important to us. That said, we are "vacationers" and have no plan to ever full-time, so a smaller RV with less storage would not be an issue; we haul too much stuff as it is.

You might consider a Class A gasser in your search. The Ford V10 is not as quiet as a diesel, but will take you anywhere you want to go and is much cheaper to maintain. Good luck!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
SarahW:
The tank sizes in the larger C's are getting close to the A's. For example, with my new Forest River Sunseeker, my gray and black tanks are rated at 39 gallons each and my fresh water tank at 50 gallons. My Holiday Rambler had gray and black tanks at 42 gallons each and the fresh water was 100 gallons.

At these tank capacities, I envision that my camping "off the grid" should not really change.