Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Downsize from Class A to Class C Question

My DW and I are now certifiably crazy with the RV search! And for all the reasons that are often discussed in the various iRV2 forums. At any rate, we'd be really interested to hear from those who have downsized from Class A MHs to Class C and the various reasons for your change. When I discover golden RV nuggets (insight from experienced RVers), they become the topic at our dinner table! So we would be most grateful for this kind of information. And thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Well, we changed last year from an 87 33' Allegro to a 03 27' Chateau Class C. We wanted to go newer and smaller (our garage will hold a 30' RV) and we didn't want to make beds up for our 2 DD. We also wanted to get a little better gas mileage from under 6 to almost 10. After the last year the only thing I would change would be to get a Class C with a slide. We decided to stay low on our budget and not have a payment. We found that we love our C and how easy it is to drive and park and move in traffic. The only major compromise is with storage. Have about 50% of what we had with our A.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

We owned a 2007 Dutch Star 43' diesel pusher with tag axle. King bed, 1-1/2 baths, 4 slides, tile, all the stuff you would expect. Great coach. When we purchased we knew we would be living in it for 4 - 6 months each year. And we did just that. Plus, we took some 3 - 4 week trips. But our situation changed. We did not need to live in it for extended periods. So, we just ordered a Nexus 32P class C. Here are the benefits to us:
1. My wife is comfortable driving a Class C; we've owned two prior to this unit. She was intimidated by the DSDP.
2. Our use will primarily be 3-5 week trips several times per year, plus a few shorter excursions. We can be very comfortable in the C for that length of time.
3. Maintenance and upkeep should be less expensive, although that is not a primary reason for us to change.
4. For the somewhat limited use we foresee, I just like the idea of a smaller, simpler rig.
5. Access to more campgrounds, public state parks, etc where the big rig was sometimes a deal-breaker.

Note that we did consider a 5th wheel. We already owned an older 30' Suinnybrook, so we did a 5 week trip late this summer. Decided we are motorhome people, so we stopped in Elkhart, traded in the fiver at Nexus, and ordered the new unit.

Regarding our choice of Nexus - we looked at all of the other standard units (excluding high end units like Lazy Daze, Born Free or Chinook) and decided that the willingness of Nexus to do some customization was best for us. We think they are building a good quality motorhome that compares very favorably to Jayco, Thor, Coachmen etc, and in some ways is superior. But only time will tell.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
We owned a 2007 Dutch Star 43' diesel pusher with tag axle. King bed, 1-1/2 baths, 4 slides, tile, all the stuff you would expect. Great coach. When we purchased we knew we would be living in it for 4 - 6 months each year. And we did just that. Plus, we took some 3 - 4 week trips. But our situation changed. We did not need to live in it for extended periods. So, we just ordered a Nexus 32P class C. Here are the benefits to us:
1. My wife is comfortable driving a Class C; we've owned two prior to this unit. She was intimidated by the DSDP.
2. Our use will primarily be 3-5 week trips several times per year, plus a few shorter excursions. We can be very comfortable in the C for that length of time.
3. Maintenance and upkeep should be less expensive, although that is not a primary reason for us to change.
4. For the somewhat limited use we foresee, I just like the idea of a smaller, simpler rig.
5. Access to more campgrounds, public state parks, etc where the big rig was sometimes a deal-breaker.

Note that we did consider a 5th wheel. We already owned an older 30' Suinnybrook, so we did a 5 week trip late this summer. Decided we are motorhome people, so we stopped in Elkhart, traded in the fiver at Nexus, and ordered the new unit.

Regarding our choice of Nexus - we looked at all of the other standard units (excluding high end units like Lazy Daze, Born Free or Chinook) and decided that the willingness of Nexus to do some customization was best for us. We think they are building a good quality motorhome that compares very favorably to Jayco, Thor, Coachmen etc, and in some ways is superior. But only time will tell.
I curious, what year and floor plan is you Nexus? Is it a Super C diesel? What modifications/changes did you make? I like the Nexus and think it is a cut above most, but their floor plans shown on the internet just didnít cut is for us. I had some thoughts of floor plan changes, but because of current life situations, we are not ready to push the button yet. We already have a 5th wheel we are not using.
thanks
ed
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Went from a 35' Adventure to a 29' Aspect class C.
Other than less storage very happy with the choice.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

Went from 2007 30' Winni sightseer class A to 2011 32' Fleetwood Class C.
Pros: We like the cab doors and the bigger bathroom. Still has great storage.
Cons: Less living room space.
Conclusion - Wish I had kept the Sightseer. No problems with the Fleetwood. It is a good unit. Just about the same gas mileage.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

Ed,
I hesitate to say we radically changed the floor plan. Ours is (actually will be ours in January) a 2014 Phantom 32P. Instead of the standard bunks we are adding more storage. The kitchen layout is not great - not much storage. But by eliminating the bunks we add the needed storage. We like the 32P over the 31P because we think the bath is better, and the bed is not raised. The 32P also has a longer wheelbase, which I think is important.

Estero, FL
Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
Ed,
I hesitate to say we radically changed the floor plan. Ours is (actually will be ours in January) a 2014 Phantom 32P. Instead of the standard bunks we are adding more storage. The kitchen layout is not great - not much storage. But by eliminating the bunks we add the needed storage. We like the 32P over the 31P because we think the bath is better, and the bed is not raised. The 32P also has a longer wheelbase, which I think is important.
Bob:

Thanks. While I have not seen the 32P floor plan in the flesh, I have seen others brands like it. I have thought of doing what you have done (whether alterations are done by me or the manufacturer), but what has given me pause is the coach's CCC. I have noticed that that larger slide (and length) as well as have it pretty well optioned out, adds to the weight.

While it sounds like it will work for you given the type of travel you do, we are extended travelers which means we travel 3-5 months at one time. Since we travel a lot in Alaska and northern Canada, we have to travel with warmer clothes in addition to summer wear. Also, it seems like the longer one is on the road, the more crap one seems to need to travel with. For cleaner non-smelly items, we figured that we would store stuff in the bed above the cab. A pain I know, but there are tradeoffs for everything.

Anyway, do you know what your CCC will be? If not, please keep us posted and let us know after you take delivery.

thanks
ed
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

Ed,
I'll PM you with the information on our specific MH once it is built. CCC is always the issue with class C products. One of the things I liked about Nexus is that they weigh the coach at the end of the assembly line, with everything installed. I asked to see the weights on a 32P that they had in the showroom - 12,390 lbs (only 1/4 tank of fuel) on a 14,500 pound chassis. Of course that gross weight is not the whole story - axle loading, corner weights, etc are also important.

For our use we can get by with 1,000 lbs CCC (full fuel, 1/2 fresh water), and I'm confident we'll get that. For your intended use it may be that a class C simply won't work.

Estero, FL
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

We gave up our "A" because my wife wouldn't drive it. So we just ordered a new "C" which is actually larger than the "A" we had, but she will drive a "C"....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
mre

[QUOTE=BCook57;1765793]Ed,
I'll PM you with the information on our specific MH once it is built. CCC is always the issue with class C products. One of the things I liked about Nexus is that they weigh the coach at the end of the assembly line, with everything installed. I asked to see the weights on a 32P that they had in the showroom - 12,390 lbs (only 1/4 tank of fuel) on a 14,500 pound chassis. Of course that gross weight is not the whole story - axle loading, corner weights, etc are also important.

For our use we can get by with 1,000 lbs CCC (full fuel, 1/2 fresh water), and I'm confident we'll get that. For your intended use it may be that a class C simply won't work.[/QUOTE

Bob:

Thanks, much appreciate it.

ed
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

About a year ago we traded our Winnebago Tour 40' in on a 2013 Winnebago Via 25.5 feet class A on a MB Sprinter chassis. We really like the smaller unit and especially the 16 mpg the little diesel produces.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
About a year ago we traded our Winnebago Tour 40' in on a 2013 Winnebago Via 25.5 feet class A on a MB Sprinter chassis. We really like the smaller unit and especially the 16 mpg the little diesel produces.
Are you towing a vehicle? If so what. Did you tow with your pusher? If so what?

thanks
ed
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

We are towing the same Jeep Grand Cherokee we towed behind the pusher. The Via can tow up to 5,000 lbs.

Tags
class a, class c