Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #15

we just downsized from a dp to a 25' montara
basement pass through storage on a E450 chassis..

it has a big trunk in the rear that we are making a big closet out of...

lots of in side storage....

2015 Tioga Montara by Fleetwood RV

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #16
I went in the opposite direction, going from a 24' MH to a 32 1/2' MH when my wife decided we wanted a larger MH. I found the 24'er to be fine for going pretty much anywhere. I used it for about a year as a daily driver, Previous to the 24'er I had a 22' class C that was my daily driver for almost 10 years.
I never found breaking camp to be an issue, since unhooking my electric, water and satellite TV cable, takes a couple of minutes at most.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
You might want to look at the Winnebago Trend/Itasca Viva and coaches like them. They have gone to a Dodge ProMaster chassis and the driveability is outstanding. The unit is 24 feet long, has no slides and has a proven V6 engine, front wheel drive and gets about 14 mpg.

We went from a 36 foot class A to the 24 foot Viva and love it. We consider it more of a touring coach than a camping rig. There is no reason to tow since it parks on city streets with no problem.

It's obviously not for everyone, but certainly has it's nitch in the marketplace and may fit your needs too.
2014 Itasca Viva
Joe & Judy
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I started owing a 27' 5er & F350 then to a 32 MH then I rented a class B camper van and with the camper van did the Oregon coast up to Ocean Shores WA, just the wife and I for 10 days, so I thought that is was what I wanted, but then at $100,000 plus a better choice was my new 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R at 23'10". Again we are not living in it, weekends & may up to two weeks at a time. My was just under $54,000
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
I do not get the bigger needs...

Started with a Dodge Road Trek great design... great for two and just a van.. did sleep 8 people in it skiing in university for a week...

Next built a RV with a jeep chassis and boiler on back loved it missed the pass through and adopted kids... not enough seat belts..

Next built a hightop Delica (little Japan van) loved it but kids got to long to fit (4 people went lots of places...

Now 24 foot G3500 wide body B+ bigger then we thought (bought unseen)... works good for 2 adults, 2 kids, 120lbs dog, cat and kids friends...

We go to be outside and do stuff... big enough to sleep, 14mpg..

Rent a B class for the weekend and see what you think... I drove mine to university and commuted to work in it...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Bigger is simple. We need room for one of us to sleep while the other does other things. Get into the 28 and up class and there is a bathroom between the bedroom and kitchen/dining/living area that creates two different sound environments. Also gives more overall living space. We have been the 22 ft route and do not plan on going back.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
We just downsized from a 36 " diesel pusher with all the bells and whistles to a 24 ft no slide Class C. We are no longer living in our MH for 4-8 months a year or taking long trips every year. We have been out in this rig once so far and we can manage the smaller space. I miss the w/d , electric awning and all the other stuff but we don't have to maintain it either. If we go cross country again we will take a car or motorcycle but for shorter trips we are not going to take a car, Unhooking the water and electric doesn't take much time and we don't have a lot of money tied up.
Downsized Winnebago C, 24 V /08 Saturn Vue/2014 Town and Country Van/03 Goldwing (Big Red)Recently triked Roadsmith kit
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
We have a 33' Class C currently. We had been contimplating going down to a Class B. Somethign like a sprinter based unit or even one of the Chevy van Roadtrek types. It's a big downsize, but we would like the ability to be able to just drive it and not have to worry about a toad or renting a car. We had even contimplated of using as a second vehicle and getting rid of my wife's SUV. She works from home and having to go anywhere when I am not home would be very minimal. What kept us, was the price. And the fact that we would be trading in $100k worth of vehicles for one vehilce worth $100k (or more).

Today I started thinking of why not just downsize the Class C we already have. We can get into a 22' or 23' model for under $50k. It would be small enough to drive around, but yet give us more space and useable features than what the Class B's we were looking at would. And my wife could keep her SUV if she wanted.

Anyone else do this sorta thing with going from a large Class C to a smaller one?
Went with my 22 for many of the same reasons you stated and I can get it turned around on the boat ramp. I love the way it handles around town and often have to remind myself it's a little bigger than my truck. My wife and I kind of like each other so livability is not an issue.
halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
So what if you upsize? We just traded our 2008 Monaco Camelot for a 2014 Renegade. I love it. Very easy to drive the Freightliner chassis even if windy and the power in the mountains/foothills is phenomenal. She likes it but she lost her wide recliner seat. She now has a Flexsteel air ride & hasn't bitched much the last 1000 miles but misses her big seat. Everything else makes up for it. I wonder if there is much change in new 2016 as the 6 year change from 2008 is tremendous. Just about everything has been improved.

Ross @ Jackson Hole
2014 Renegade Ikon
Toad: 2015 Mini Cooper JCW Convertible
tetonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

class c