Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Downsizing the Class C

We have a 33' Class C currently. We had been contimplating going down to a Class B. Somethign like a sprinter based unit or even one of the Chevy van Roadtrek types. It's a big downsize, but we would like the ability to be able to just drive it and not have to worry about a toad or renting a car. We had even contimplated of using as a second vehicle and getting rid of my wife's SUV. She works from home and having to go anywhere when I am not home would be very minimal. What kept us, was the price. And the fact that we would be trading in $100k worth of vehicles for one vehilce worth $100k (or more).

Today I started thinking of why not just downsize the Class C we already have. We can get into a 22' or 23' model for under $50k. It would be small enough to drive around, but yet give us more space and useable features than what the Class B's we were looking at would. And my wife could keep her SUV if she wanted.

Anyone else do this sorta thing with going from a large Class C to a smaller one?
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I went from 23' up to 29' because I wanted the roomier bedroom area and sofa area .

Being a few feet shorter was a tiny bit easier to park. I find no difference in overall driving Beyond room to park. If you don't need the extra interior room I'd downsize. I use what was the sofa area to haul my dogs to shows so needed the xtra room.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #3

You can live in a 33 ft unit. In a unit like you are looking at you have the necessities but live outside. Usually manageable but a lot different and more work. That is why we went from 22 ft to the 30 ft C we have and are looking for something a bit larger.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You can live in a 33 ft unit. In a unit like you are looking at you have the necessities but live outside. Usually manageable but a lot different and more work. That is why we went from 22 ft to the 30 ft C we have and are looking for something a bit larger.

We aren't planning on living in an RV anytime soon. The earliest that I couild retire would be in about 9 or 10 years. And that would be an early retirement (55 yrs old). By that length of time, we will have changed RV's again.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I went to a 26 foot Class A after tossing around between a C B+ and the A's It is real easy to drive and I can park and get in and out of most everyplace we need to get.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
Anyone else do this sorta thing with going from a large Class C to a smaller one?
Me. Mainly for MPG and to have a more "usable" vehicle when we were not camping. The Sprinter immediately comes to mind. We'd lose massive storage while camping, but that could have been resolved with a small enclosed trailer.

We were largely looking at the Navion and similarly "upper" branded sprinters, not for the bells and whistles, but for the construction.

One thing to think about - they can be hard to get service for... Perhaps harder than getting service for a gas class-C (which is dependent upon a dealer having a bay/lift big enough).

If you have a high end class-C - Dynamax or something like that, that might be easier to get serviced. I know there are some very nice diesel models. You must have one if you think you're going to get $100k resale, as a gas class-c wont' hold value like that.

Sprinters are sometimes Ram, sometimes Mercedes, and both can refuse service.

I drove the sprinter - easy to drive, reasonably quiet. A little bit of sway at low speed (can be fixed) - but I like 15mpg.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
We aren't planning on living in an RV anytime soon. The earliest that I couild retire would be in about 9 or 10 years. And that would be an early retirement (55 yrs old). By that length of time, we will have changed RV's again.
Think rainy day. I did not mean full timing or even long trips.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 AM   #8

I have a Mercedes 24 ft and love it 15-17 mpg ride is phenomenal and with the slides plenty of space for 2 with 2 grandkids and 2 dogs. Full time would be tight but we go once or twice a month and it's perfect. As far as service have never had an issue getting it done . We live outside most of the time anyway isn't that what camping is all about ?
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Think rainy day. I did not mean full timing or even long trips.
For me, growing up in rain country (NW WA State) that's why my Awning is for and an EZ up on the edge of my campfire plus goretex
Old 06-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

downsize

I guess size would matter if you travel far and stay out for a very long time. Me and significant other bought a 24 ft Forester with a Chevy chassis and a bedroom slide. So far we travel a 4 state area 4 to 6 days a month and we find it very comfortable. Plenty of storage for us and we could take more clothes if we were to stay out longer. Get almost 10mpg without toad. Enterprise where ever we go and inexpensive. End of this month we're going up to Ashland Va. 6 day trip. Very satisfied with this little truck
toymaker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Even with a class b or camper van you have to "break camp" every time you want to go somewhere.

We have a small class c (22ft) and don't tow a car. We have gone out shopping or local touring with the rv. I have learned not to bring more stuff than we need and not put everything out if I think we'll be running around.

Funny, I prefer dry camping and maybe that's why. Hookups are a pain.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was considering moving from a 31' to a Sprinter chassis...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:31 AM   #13

Have a Navion IQ 24G with two slides.. 17mpg on the 2013 Sprinter Diesel. Going full time in 7 months so may have to move up in size. Taking it out for 10 days in eastern Washington towing a Ford Fusion Hybrid. No problems with service so far and have not had a single warranty issue yet. Beautiful RV. Just tight on storage for clothing but still great choice.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 1988 we bought a type B MH, a 17' Okanagan. I used it as my daily driver for several years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c