Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

Red face Downsizing to Class C

I know this is a difficult question to answer and will get many responses but I am going to give it a shot. We want to downsize from a 40' diesel motorhome to a Class C, either diesel or gas. We prefer a king bed or twin beds and I need interior height of 6'6" or more. I will buy new or used but am interested in brands that have the best maintenance track record. When you buy RV's I know you will always have maintenance issues and there is nothing out there that is perfect. I would like your opinions.
rkprater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
I have not seen any class C with either a king or two twin size beds. Ours is queen. The height 82” in the front part and 78” in the rear. Most or all class C have a more limited high dimension in the rear to accommodate for the rear tires. You may have problems in the rear area of most if you ar 6’6”.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #3

How do you like the Leprechan? I have been looking at those online.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

Why Class C versus a shorter A Class gasser?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

We have a Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS with the E450 and 6 speed transmission. The interior height is 6’11” and has a queen size bed. I haven’t seen any class C’s with a king size bed but there probably are some out there. We have found ForestRiver, who owns Coachmen, to be very good with repairs under warranty. Our dealer is awesome and has treated us very well with any and all issues we’ve had with the rig. Not only finding the right RV, but finding the right dealer is very important. Our previous RVs were diesel pushers, a 34H Journey and a 40’ KD Itasca Horizon. We full-timed for 6 years but now we’re back in a stick&brick we down sized to a 27’ class C gas rid and love it. We like the Ford as it has good torque and towing capacity, plus good cargo capacity. The floor plan meets needs as well. Finding the right floor plan is very important as well. The Coachmen Leprechaun is very well built with quality materials. Good luck in your search.
Jackhal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

Try Renegade, has all your requirements.
at least the VSB 36 does.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only Diesel Class C's I know of are the Eurovan cab/chassis (Sprinter and Transit vans). And, please notice they have rather small engines in the 3 liter size family plus they are about 10" less wide than conventional Class C's and have much lower GVWR too.

There are "Super C's" with Diesel power plants like Dynamax, Nexus, Renegade, and FourWinds...built on Class 5 truck Cab/Chassis (ie F550) and bigger. These are beautiful RV's with LOTS of capability.

Otherwise, there are LOTS of conventional Class C's built new on the venerable E450 and Chevy 4500 cab chassis...from Coachman to Entegra...pick what you like.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 PM   #8

Rkprater,
We like our Leprechaun very much. We left cold weather since October and are enjoying the unit. It has swivel front seat, this make a big difference in our opinion. Wish you well with your decision.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Winnebago View/Navion has a king or two twin bed option. It’s the 24V model.
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkprater46 View Post
I know this is a difficult question to answer and will get many responses but I am going to give it a shot. We want to downsize from a 40' diesel motorhome to a Class C, either diesel or gas. We prefer a king bed or twin beds and I need interior height of 6'6" or more. I will buy new or used but am interested in brands that have the best maintenance track record. When you buy RV's I know you will always have maintenance issues and there is nothing out there that is perfect. I would like your opinions.
Call Wynn or Mike at Avalon rv in Medina, Oh......they are the best
ccssid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #11

Downsizing worth doing

Did it, sold my 40 ft diesel, am in process of selling my 21 ft starflyte b and bought a thor 23u.
The chassis are all the same, and to be frank, didn't see much value difference between the big manufacturers, thor, forest river products and winnebago. Did see it on lazy daze, but I was out the door for my thor at 59k, it would have been 10k o so counting tax for the lazy daze. Better product but not 50k worth.

Find a floor plan that works. . I like the 24,25 ft fits in parking areas easier, isn't that much worse or in some cases is better than my 40 ft ride wise, and fits on roads I'm interested in taking such as Great Basin wheeler peek stuff. If a short trip, or just me joining the boys for some riding, I simply throw the dual sport dirt bike on back and take off. Fits easier at trail head parking and much easier on crappy roads.long trips, wife might want towe'd instead of drive the motorhome for errands, tow the jeep, hang bike off the jeep. Works for us, we like smaller campgrounds much, much better, rarely use hook ups. Interested more in scenery than campground suburbia. Starflyte was great for one, 2 people. 8 yr old, too much. If you're active, thensmaller size will encourage movement ,not condo living. As a sid ebenefit, people i meet in national forest campgrounds, others are less pretentious when i show up in the smsll stuff. More about what they do, what they have sen at the national park, foeet, etc.. Not about nice rig, i havery one like it but with x added, making it more expenseive..nice bike i have a new y cost me z, maybe we can ride together. ..
Nice side benefit. Good luck
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

Not against a Class A gas but very few king bed options in the shorter coaches. I have found a couple but just trying to find the right combination. I have even looked at Class B+.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #13

Plenty of kings in class A gas. Even in 30'
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #14

rk,your call and a personal decision. Do what you think best fits your lifestyle, budget , and dreams. DW and I just sold our diesel pusher and are downsizing to a Coachhouse Platinum 27. Taking delivery in June. ( only 6'3" ceiling height so maybe not good for you) . My point being, go for what you want. Personally, our decision was based on a few wishes. We wanted something we could drive on country roads and state highways. Something DW could feel comfortable driving. Something we could get into the smaller towns with. And something that would just be, overall, easier to drive. There are plenty of people who would say that they can do that in a 45 DP , and if that works for them, I can't argue with that. Just not for me. Again, personal decision. It's not a one -size- fits-all proposal. All that being said, we will find out soon enough if we made the right decision. Just do what you feel is best for you and best of luck to you.
islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c