RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Driving from W. Yellowstone to Estes Park in a Class C with a Toad

I'm not sure if the Class C motorhome or the General Discussion is the right place for this thread. However, I think the answer to my question might involve the kind of motorhome we have so I place it here. If the moderator thinks the General Discussion is the better place, please move it.

We'll be in West Yellowstone National Park and will be driving to Estes Park in Colorado. We have two possible routes with one route taking us through Grand Teton National Park and then onto more major roads (US 191, US 287, US 89) until we reach Riverton as an intermediate stop.

We've got the Class C motorhome and will be towing a Jeep Wrangler. Are there any issues driving through Grand Teton National Park that would make us change our minds on this route?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

I just made that trip in an Axis(E-450). Cody to Fishing Bridge down to Dubois then to Fort Collins. The E-450 was great. Many RV4Rents. You should do well. Have fun and safe travels.

CaptDanRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

We did the Rawlins 287, Dubois, 26 Grand Teton, up to Yellowstone drive last summer, and while the northern part of the drive is nice, that section of road north of Rawlins is a whole lot of nothing with the occasional hill, make sure you have a full tank of gas when you leave Dubois as there are few stops for fuel between there and Rawlins and the ones that are there have insanely high fuel prices. My biggest issue on that section of road were all the idiots pulling 5th wheels that thought they had to drive 85+ mph, and the cross winds.

Ike

p.s. I don't know what RV option are in Riverton, though we did spend a few nights at a very nice place just south of Dubois by the name of the Longhorn Ranch RV park, nice water front spaces on a small river, widely spaced, etc.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Two years ago we did Jackson to Cheyenne so it's similar to what you will be doing. I would take take 191 in West Yellowstone and follow it to Jackson and stay on it until you get to Rock Springs where you can get on I-80.

Route 191 is not the fastest way, but you do pass through some beautiful country that way. You pass through some pretty neat towns too. We also love the desolation of I-80 in WY.

Have a safe trip.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

We did that rip last year in our MBS Sprinter towing a Jeep. Stayed overnight in Wyoming and then went from Cheyenne to Estes Park. You should have no problem other than the “whole lot of nothing” driving through Wyoming. Enjoy the drive.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, toad, yellowstone