Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Driving in high winds, what is safe?

New RV owner and am wondering at what point do folks feel it's to windy to safely drive their RV? I have a 28' Coachman. Is 25MPH ok? 30MPH? etc...?

gregb1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
I feel comfortable starting at about 40, and move up slowly. When the trailer gives a hint of sway, back off. Or park it. If the wind is 35 or above, I prefer not trying to fight it with a TT. Make that up to 40 with a MH.

Today we're near Omaha and 2 days ago just a short distance from here, mobile homes were flattened (not blown over), and an entire freight train was derailed (pushed over) by what the weather people called a "down draft."

Strong winds are not to be toyed with.

GL Arnold

2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Triple E Owners Club
That's a great question, Greg! I drive a 2009 Triple E Regency (built on the Ford E-450). Mods by the previous owner include 5 leaf parabolic springs, Koni shocks, Roadmaster sway bars front and rear, and SteerSafe. This thing handles very well!
You definitely should search for "Cheap Handling Fix" if you are based on a Ford chassis and experiencing handling issues. That said, wind gusts are not your friend and driving conditions vary greatly depending on the type of wind, traffic, etc. You will know immediately if its time get off the road.
Rafaelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

There is risk in them thar winds.
A gust of 35+ mph wind can make for an unintended lane change, or part of one, especially for a TT.
Slowing down helps. But watching weather predictions and opting to wait/overnight accordingly are wise.
I park long before my knuckles turn white.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
I took the MH up the highway the other day just to fill with fuel and the winds were 40 mph plus with gusts. It was generally behind me one way and into me on the way back but it had a little cross to it. I was amazed at how fast it would try and push you into the other lane. No way I would drive with winds over 40 unless it's purely pushing me or pushing against me but if it's a cross wind then nope, it's staying parked.
tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
It sort of depends on your comfort. When the wind gets strong enough to push me around, I find a nice place to visit and stay a while. It's not worth fighting the wind or weather in a big box. It's a RECREATION Vehicle, if it's too much like work, I park.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
8 hours of the toughest driving I've ever had (for 45 years in all types of vehicles) was 298 miles from Ft Worth to Midland with 25-30 gust to 45 on the nose, quartering on the front passenger side, and crosswind. Crosswind was the worst, amplified when passing a semi and breeching their front.

Never again....period...explanation mark
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I did the Cheap Handling Fix, put new tires on, and replaced the rear sway bar bushings, I drove to Kansas from DFW along Hwy 287 then straight north from Childress up into Liberal then west out of Garden City to Lakin.

I will never ever forget that incredible cross wind, when I turned west on Hwy 50. Around 35 - 40mph and I had to slow down to around 50 mph, scary as heck and it was just white knuckle driving, so worn out when I got there it took a day to recover, so I hear ya all too well Dave!

But just took a trip out east a little ways in 30 mph wind on I-20 and the CHF, new tires, etc, make a HUGE difference in my coach. Especially trucks passing.

Headed back up to KS in May and hoping for a far easier trip this time around.....

GregB, you just have to feel comfortable and safe. You might be able to do 60, 55, 50, 45, you just have to see what feels safe and controllable to you. Every coach is different and unique. Your only answer here is just to test the waters carefully and react accordingly. Slower speeds mean more control over the coach.

Keep us posted!
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Originally Posted by gregb1812 View Post
New RV owner and am wondering at what point do folks feel it's to windy to safely drive their RV?
As a pilot the standard answer to "how much crosswind is too much?" Is "how confident are you in your skills?".

My DW and I joke about "left rudder" or "right rudder" when being passed by a bigger vehicle, basically IMHO it's a matter of how confident you are in YOUR abilities.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Before any handling fixes, which will cost $$$$$$, I would say that if you don't feel comfortable then stop. I have driven in 30mph winds with gusts to over 40 and didn't like the experience. I slowed down from 50 to 35mph, on a 2 lane road, and pulled over if traffic backed up. I didn't care what they thought. I wasn't going to place my family in danger. I have also been in thunderstorms that made me stop ASAP. Never in a hurry.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I think as soon as one starts to wonder if it's still safe to be on the road... it's time to get off the road and settle in with a cool drink.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
I owned a Trek 28 feeter on a Chevy P-30 chassis. Seems like if the wife sneezed, we were in the other lane. It was like driving a bowling ball. Didn't take much wind to ground us.

Current rig weighs almost double what the Trek weighed, and has all Class 8 truck running gear. Drives like a dream. Winds of 35-40 are noticeable but not undriveable on US standard lanes. Baja, Mexico is maybe different. But trucks get grounded there when wind kicks up high, and you have both lanes to yourself most of the day. We did about 400 miles in Baja one day when trucks were grounded for high winds (blew one gas tanker over); other than needing to hang on to make adjustments, it was a good day to travel.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Hi Murf.

A fellow pilot here. I was driving I -10 yesterday in a 30 to 35 crosswind. I think it's easier to land a plane. But being a pilot definitely helps. We are use to being blown around and still have to land. No waiting around up there. It's too bad we can't put the MH into a slip.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Well, at least we have the option of taking a 'go around' if short final is start to look a little too 'short'. In the coach you're definitely committed to your lane.

The DW isn't a fan of crabbing, but given the option, she takes it over me calling a go 'round every time. LOL.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote