Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Driving tips please

After nine months and lots of arguing with the dealer and the manufacturer my coach is finally working! I have planned a trip to attend the 2012 Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain. I have a 2011 coach but a 2010 chassis Ford V10. I did the math and renting a trailer to tow my car would cost more than having 2 drivers. I have never tried driving something this big in the mountains anyone have any tips? I get from 0 to 60 in 3 attempts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #2

any chance you can rent a car at your location?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drive slow, enjoy the scenery, save gas.
Take your time, leave early.
Stay away from other vehicles as much as possible.
Think about reprocussions of every action.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

You can do it, just get some seat time before driving on twisty roads. Drive your coach on a straight road, centered in the lane, and establish a visual reference (like a spot on the dashboard, or even add a little "dot" sticker on the windshield) so you can easily duplicate your position on the road. For a very narrow road, look in your side mirror and get used to positioning the edge of your coach near, but not over, the center stripe.

It's highly unlikely but if you get to a road so narrow there is no center stripe, slow down, use what space you need, but be very aware of oncoming traffic. Roads like this are usually colored "Grey" on maps and, after a few experiences, I have warned my DW navigator against leading me into such fun in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
...I have planned a trip to attend the 2012 Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain...I have never tried driving something this big in the mountains anyone have any tips?...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Watch your tail wag!!!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

slow and steady will get you there. Are you firm on renting a trailer or just considering it? If renting at the destination is an option I would consider it. I recall my first "toad" experience - was not pleasant, learned a lot, and discarded a lot of useless and incorrect opinions. And that was on Interstate highways. It took me a couple of years to tackle the "less traveled route". Good luck - let your common sense be your guide - if it don't feel right - don't do it. You have a lot of prescious cargo on board
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I have an E-Class Mercedes that gets 31MPG and the gas to and from will cost 144.00 Based on current gas prices. Trailer rental one way is 70$ and then I have to add the extra gas mileage that I would use pulling the car behind me. A car rental would be minimum of 260$. I am leaning towards having the wife drive the car and I will drive the coach...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

use your trans when coming down a mountain not your brakes or you will burn them up,shift to a lower gear. If you need to use your brakes,push firmly and quickly let off,don't ride the brakes.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

Driving the other car makes $ and Cents the only drawback is not have DW next to you in the MOHO. Sometimes my DW drives the P/U while I drive the MOHO and pull the boat. Makes for a lonely trip but we then have convenient vehicle at the CG. Lots of choices -
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

All great advice so far IMHO.

I'll add to make sure that you focus your attention well ahead of you and not to get obsessed with trying to control exactly where you are in your lane at every moment. This can lead to a lot of over corrections and wagging down the road.

As for the toad... from what I can detect, you may well be better off having two drivers for this first trip and then deciding what you want to do longer term after you get this experience under your belt. Have you thought about how you want to handle the toad issue long term? Is your current car towable four down? Do you have plans to purchase a new toad?

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #11

i rented a car at my destination for my first few trips. it helped me a lot to have another person in the car to help when manouverung around gas stations, rest stops etc. the key i think is to always remember to take it easy and do not be in a rush. i now have a dolly to tow my toad and it works great. but like others have said, plan ahead, dont rush and enjoy!