Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Dynamax vs Jayco

Is it just me, but does the new Dynamax DX3 look just like the Jayco Seneca? I haven't dived into specific details yet but they sure look like the same thing with a different label.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While they both start with a Freightliner MDT, that's where they part ways...very different Gross Weights, floorplans, and price point to match the specs.
Take a look: DX3 by Dynamax - Specifications
and
Floorplans - Seneca Class C Motorhomes - Jayco

We were looking at motorized Toy Haulers. I love the capacities of these Super C's, but the wide open cab of the Class A type made me pick a Class A.

Best luck on your search

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

They look almost identical to the Jayco Embark not the Seneca.
The 37BH floorplan is the same as the Embark TB390 except it is less 1 slide.
Same weight specs on the chassis and same engine also.
Same curved sidewalls and similar cap.
Good looking unit.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Scarab0088 I'd love to see what the scale says when you are fully loaded. Have you put it on a scale and weighed the four corners? If your toys are large my guess is that you have little room to spare if your aren't already over the GVWR.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Scarab0088 I'd love to see what the scale says when you are fully loaded. Have you put it on a scale and weighed the four corners? If your toys are large my guess is that you have little room to spare if your aren't already over the GVWR.
Not even close so, haven't needed to weigh it...we're at 18,360lb UVW on a W24.
We have either full water or full waste tanks (585lb), propane (127lb) and fuel (478lb) = 19,550lb...leaves 3,450lb for me, the Mrs., our luggage, food and toys.

We are weekenders and seasonal trippers, so we don't accumulate the stuff that others do.

And my Buell S3T is pretty light, but I could load up a side-by-side and not give it a second thought.

Thanks for the concern

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Not even close so, haven't needed to weigh it...
Famous last words of the overweight.
Not in any way implying you are, but many people have been surprised when they went on the scales and saw what it really weighs compared to what it was supposed to weigh per the mfg.
There is only one way to know for sure.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Famous last words of the overweight.
Not in any way implying you are, but many people have been surprised when they went on the scales and saw what it really weighs compared to what it was supposed to weigh per the mfg.
There is only one way to know for sure.
Actually, you are right - not because factory UVW was wrong, but because there are many Outlaw owners they didn't realize the Ford F53 version was on the 22,000lb rated chassis.

Thor upgraded the Outlaw to the 24,000lb F53 3 years ago - and just 5 months ago upgraded again to the 26,000lb version

Damon says they weighed each unit back in the old days - mine was registered at 18,360, an odd enough number to make me believe it. Plus we run so light that the 1 time we did load it up with a bunch of people and gear, the ride was MUCH SMOOTHER that before, that we realized that lighter is not always better. We now look for a mid-ground for ride and MPG.

Obviously these are not issues for the Seneca or the Dynamax...just to go back on topic.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

I posted pics of my 2005 seneca 34ssHD under class c motor homes.. Maybe this can help
Old 11-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

I recently looked at both the Dynamax and the Seneca. The Dynamax offers a sleeker look and it has a lower interior height, but the 2014 Seneca has all the options that the Embark had ( btw Jayco stopped production of the Embark for 2014). Also the Dynamax had aprox. 40k higher price tag. I thought the Seneca had the better value so I bought the Seneca.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkann View Post
I recently looked at both the Dynamax and the Seneca. The Dynamax offers a sleeker look and it has a lower interior height, but the 2014 Seneca has all the options that the Embark had ( btw Jayco stopped production of the Embark for 2014). Also the Dynamax had aprox. 40k higher price tag. I thought the Seneca had the better value so I bought the Seneca.
I think better value depends on what you need. If you had heavy towing requirements forget the Jayco. If you are loaded to the GVWR of 28,000 lbs then you can only tow 5,000 lbs before you reach the GCWR of 33,000 lbs.

Now for some interesting theory consider my wimpy current E450. It has a GVWR of 14,500 lbs and a GCWR of 22,000 lbs. Voila - more towing capacity (in theory) than your diesel Seneca if it is fitted with a receiver rated for 7500 lbs (it comes with a 5k receiver).

Look at the specs for the Dynamax - it could almost tow the Seneca which has an ISB vs the Dynamax ISC. I've had the ISC in an Ambassador and the 960 ft lbs of torque make a big difference when compared with about 660 for the Seneca. (Has Cummins bumped the torque for the ISB by some chance?)

When we bought our Jayco Kodiak gasser in 2007 we selected it, not because it was cheaper than the Seneca diesel, but rather because we could then safely tow our 2007 Tahoe LTZ that weighed close to 5700 lbs. Both units had a GCWR of 26,000 lbs but the GVWR of the Seneca was 22,000 lbs while the Greyhawk on Kodiak was 19,500 lbs. Thus, when loaded to the GVWR (which DW could easily do given the junk she would like to take) the Greyhawk could legally tow our Tahoe while the Seneca could not.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #11

OH, I don't think anyone mentioned warranty. Jayco has 2 years on the house, what is the Dynamax warranty period on the house? I assume both have the same chassis and engine warranty.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

I agree the Dynamax has more power, the ISC is rated at 350hp and 1050 torque, but they bumped up the ISB to 340hp and 880 torque. So the power is pretty close. I pull a 10,000lbs race trailer and it pulled fine on a 1000 mile trip a few weeks ago.

We traded in our HR Endeavor which had a 330hp Cat with 860 torque and pull the race trailer just fine for 90k miles. The Seneca offers about the same performance as the Endeavor.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree the Dynamax has more power, the ISC is rated at 350hp and 1050 torque, but they bumped up the ISB to 340hp and 880 torque. So the power is pretty close. I pull a 10,000lbs race trailer and it pulled fine on a 1000 mile trip a few weeks ago.

We traded in our HR Endeavor which had a 330hp Cat with 860 torque and pull the race trailer just fine for 90k miles. The Seneca offers about the same performance as the Endeavor.
IF you pull a 10,000 trailer with a Seneca, you are likely way over the GCWR unless all passengers are filled with helium. I'd say you should keep your fingers crossed that you don't have an accident and somehow get nailed because you could pay a steep price.

My son tows a race trailer and he has to sit on top of the weight. When he raced an SCCA DSR he was fine. Then he started into GT2 and the weight increase of 1,000 lbs was significant and he had to jettison a number of items he had in the trailer (sofa, fridge, etc). When we are at the track we watch numerous towing combos coming and going that are clearly over the manufacturers weight limits.

I just checked the Cummins web site and they have a version of the ISB at 360 hp but only quote torque as high as 800 ft lbs.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
the 2014 Seneca has all the options that the Embark had ( btw Jayco stopped production of the Embark for 2014).
You better check the specs again as you are not even close with that statement.
Engine, trans, towing capacity, GVW and GCVW,fuel capacity and body just to name a few.