Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I got the Helwig 7180
Just checked, it is 1 1/2 inch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman49 View Post
I looked on Amazon and the only one I could find for the E-450 was 1 1/2" diameter. The 1 5/8" was for the E 550. Cpould you tell me which store on Amazon you got them from?
do you have a picture of the E550?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #17

Thanks I'll give that one a try. I'll let you know if it helps mine.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #18

Got the hellwig 7180 installed and the poly bushings on the front stabilizer. The rear stabilizer made a world of difference. Actually it removed all of the swaying. I still have what appears to be movement in the steering I have not replaced the bushings in the axles yet. I have them just haven't had time to install them. I'm going to have to drop the tie rod from the steering box in order to get the bar off. It looks like the old bushings might be a pill to get out. It did look like I could see some light between the rubber and the bar.
Have any idea which steering stabilizer to try if the bushings don't help? I think the one that is on there now and was installed by the factory.
Thanks for the great advice on the rear stabilizer bar.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman49 View Post
Got the hellwig 7180 installed and the poly bushings on the front stabilizer. The rear stabilizer made a world of difference. Actually it removed all of the swaying. I still have what appears to be movement in the steering I have not replaced the bushings in the axles yet. I have them just haven't had time to install them. I'm going to have to drop the tie rod from the steering box in order to get the bar off. It looks like the old bushings might be a pill to get out. It did look like I could see some light between the rubber and the bar.
Have any idea which steering stabilizer to try if the bushings don't help? I think the one that is on there now and was installed by the factory.
Thanks for the great advice on the rear stabilizer bar.
I have a 99 E450. Dropped the sway bar brackets and pulled 1 end out of the axle at a time, without dropping the steering.

I sliced the old bushings with a sawzall, careful not to slice the axle. Then they came right out.

I drew the new ones in with a long bolt, a piece of PVC pipe and some flat washers.

Last week, I picked up a Monroe stabilizer at Advance Auto.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just read through all the suggestions here. All interesting but take it to a truck stop and get it weighed before you do anything. You might be surprised if you find out you are overweight on the the rear axle but many manufacturer's models don't leave much capacity for cargo and liquids.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #21

I'll try gain to get the bar off but it hit the tie rod before it came clear of the bushing. I still had 1/2" - 3/4" of the rod left in the bushing when it hit the tie rod. I'll see if I can turn the wheel one way or the other if that will help. I think it will make it worse by bringing the tie rod closer to the bushng. If I can get the steering tightened up it will be a real pleasure to drive.
How did the Monroe stabilizer work for you. I have looked at the reflex stabilizer but don't know which will work the best.

The only thing that I have in the coach now is a couple of lawn chairs that are behind the axle.

I would have thought as long as the manufactures have had this problem tht they would want to fix it. I guess there has been a lot made on the after market. Still think they should fix it though.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #22

I put the MH on ramps, not jacked up. It is a older model then yours.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #23

It started steering towards dips in the road, so I tested the stabilizer by un-bolting one end and pushing and pulling it. It was bad.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #24

That is what mine is doing. If it leans the least bit you can feel the steering want to go in that direction.
I don't know if ramps will let me get it off or not. It goes with the control arm. I'll justr have to try it and see. I have those bushings and I hate not to use them but i know it needs them. With the taper in hte steering arm it is just hard to get those loose without messing up the rubber. I would say I might as well go ahead and get a stabilizer also. If I do that it will pretty much have everything covered.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #25

Pull the cotter pin, loosen the nut a few turns off the taper end and strike the side of the hole sharply. Use a lump hammer or choke up on a sledge. You are not hitting the joint but the side of the hole it goes thru.

One good hit and it will drop free. No fork to mess up the boot.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #26

After reading this thread I purchased the Hellwig 7180 for my E450 chassis.
What a difference! Thanks for putting this info out there. My most favorite upgrade.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #27

I got the bushings in but they did not help the loose steering. I think I'll try the alignment and have the camber set to the +5.3. I might drop the steering stabilizer and check it out first.

Thanks for your time and help.

Tags
suspension