Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Unhappy E 450 Rear Suspension Problems

My Gulfstream Conquest (2007)32.7 is on a 2006 E 450 chassis and the rear springs are completely flat with only 32k on the odometer. The axle was within 2 inches of the jounce stops. This drug on any incline until the addition of air bags but I am well aware this is a band aid, not a fix.

My concern that heavier springs will result in a rougher ride than I have now which saying is rough is an understatement. I am running the bags at max pressure to gain adequate ground clearance and have also found much less sway from passing trucks but not much help with ride. On the other hand it may be possible the horrible ride is from bottoming out.

I would love to hear others solutions to this issue. I bought this unit used a couple of years ago so I have no comparison with new but can't help but think this suspension was inadequate when new especially as much as this chassis is stretched. I have had other class c units in the past (not this length) and do not remember this issue.

Any and all info and solutions greatly appreciated.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
I have a gulfstream bt5291 of the same vintage and I thought the same too. however it has been far more stable than shorter rvs I have driven. I'm pretty sure the rear springs are 'flat' out of the factory. certainly the weight and extended back end don't help at all. if any of your water and waste tanks are not empty when traveling then that isn't going to help either.
I bought a firestone air ride kit a couple of years ago but didn't install it. however, about a month ago I jacked the rv up and put the kit in. pressure on mine is 60psi. it's lifted the back end some (enough to stop stop drag when getting onto the drive) and I can't feel any difference in the ride.
from what info you have given and my own experience I would have to say that you're overloaded in the back and need to redistribute/minimize your traveling weight.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
My Gulfstream Conquest (2007)32.7 is on a 2006 E 450 chassis and the rear springs are completely flat with only 32k on the odometer. The axle was within 2 inches of the jounce stops. This drug on any incline until the addition of air bags but I am well aware this is a band aid, not a fix.

My concern that heavier springs will result in a rougher ride than I have now which saying is rough is an understatement. I am running the bags at max pressure to gain adequate ground clearance and have also found much less sway from passing trucks but not much help with ride. On the other hand it may be possible the horrible ride is from bottoming out.

I would love to hear others solutions to this issue. I bought this unit used a couple of years ago so I have no comparison with new but can't help but think this suspension was inadequate when new especially as much as this chassis is stretched. I have had other class c units in the past (not this length) and do not remember this issue.

Any and all info and solutions greatly appreciated.
I've had a few of those... everyone I took to skips spring shop in vegas and did the re arch and add a leaf...

the stock springs will go away just sitting...

I just did the sumo max kit on the rear of our 2015 .... raised it one inch...took most of the sway... and rides real smooth
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just redid my leaf springs a month ago. Took to wheelco, they added 2 new leaf springs on each side and re arched them as well. I had firestone airbags on the back, that I always ran around 80 psi, but my leaf sprigns were so bad that they were starting to dig into the chasis of the camper. It rides absolutely awesome now. I dropped my pressure in my airbags down to 45 - 50 psi, the little sway I had is about gone. I was very happy with the driving, parked is a different story. My bigfoot front jacks now just about always have to be blocked, because of how much I raised the back end on the camper. The other downside was that it cost about $1500 to do that, and another $400 for them to take everyting out fo the compartments to get at the rear shackles on the leaf springs. Longest ride was for about 2.5 hours and it handled great, took down interstate at 70 mph, passed a semi and it was big improvement.
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Go to the spring shop Ray's champion spring by the old Ranch Style Beans building they have been around forever they can redo the springs or add leaf it is off 287 or 35 close to Downtown
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

I think if you look at a brand new class C MH on an E450, or even the E350, you will find the springs are flat, or even arched in the opposite direction.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Before condemning the springs, see if you can find any ride height information, on your MH.

At least, then you know if it's low and by how much.

You don't want to stiffen it up to much.

My 99 E450 may have sunk a bit, but it will never, NOT drag.
There is just to much overhang.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

I'mt going to play with the air pressure over the next week or so but will most likely end up adding a leaf as the ride height is what I feel is good for this chassis. Prior to addition of bags hitch was no more than 8" off the ground. My main concerns are the ride quality and dragging. This actually launched my wife off the bed and into a wall on a rough stretch of highway. I know about Rays as recommended but are you recommending the one near the mall on I35 or the Rays on Henderson near downtown. ?
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 AM   #9

down town have used then since 1970's
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Bought a used 31' 2008 E-450 about a year ago and I have the same tail wagging and white knuckles that a lot of other rver's have. There seems to be about four fixes that other people have talked about but didn't see any results. Just wanting to know which is the best one to try. The steering stabilizer, front sway bar, rear sway bar or the tru trac.
Oldman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 AM   #11

I started with the heavy rear sway bar and poly bushings on the front bar. The improvement was so much, that I didn't do anything else. 1999 30 ft. E450.

It was a 1 5/8 inch bar, from Amazon.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the input. I just wasn't sure where to start or just do them all.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

I looked on Amazon and the only one I could find for the E-450 was 1 1/2" diameter. The 1 5/8" was for the E 550. Cpould you tell me which store on Amazon you got them from?
Old 07-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #14

I got the Helwig 7180

Tags
suspension