Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
E-450 Transmission Cooler?

I am getting ready to hit the road full time soon.

We have a 2007 Ford E450 27ft Jamboree with about 100k miles. We will be towing a 2013 Honda CRV.

In my tool shed I found a HUGE class A transmission cooler - too big to fit in the space of my current stock Ford transmission cooler. I think I bought it for an RV we had years ago. It's huge, probaby for an "A." Because of this, I can't use it. The cooler is too big to fit in the space occupied by the stock Ford transmission cooler.

That said, upon investigation, I was surprised that the "stock" transmission cooler was pretty big.

Have any of you ford E450 C-Class users found it PERSONALLY useful to add a non-stock transmission cooler? Have you, in your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE found it necessary or beneficial of add a "larger" non-stock cooler.

Yes, I know - there are many, many anecdotal opinions. Yes, I know there are advantages to specific driving techniques., There are many non-anecdotal opinions as well. These are mostly useless in terms of specific experiences, . In this context, I can only take action on specific experiences. Guesses and vague opinions are, interesting but, I'm sorry, not "actionable."

So, my specific question is to people with specific experience (ford E450, towing a 3500lb toad) in this particular situation:

Have you found it beneficial to add an aftermarket transmission cooler to a Ford E450 motorhome Class C towing a moderate "average" toad vehicle.????
Did you overheat? Did you maintain a "safe" temperature?
Was the stock cooler NOT adequate? Did the stock cooler provide adequate cooling?
Did you add a bigger cooler?
Why did you do this?
What cooler did you add?
What transmission temperatures did you see before and after?

I understand there are many who have no direct, relevant or actionable experience with this issue but will want to respond anyway. Go for it. Good for you.

But there are many who have had actual, useful experience in this specific situation. I thank you in advance for your relevant response. It is these responses that those of us, in a similar situation, can take any useful action

deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
No, tows fine stock.

milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
You could add some temp gauges, But I heard cooling to much can have its disadvantages.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Excess heat is what breaks down the ATF and subsequent trans problems. So a trans temp gage is a good thing to have and keep an eye on temps. Synthetic fluid helps as it does not break down as bad, but in general, your trans will be much happier with cooler fluid.

I don't know the specific chassis questions you ask and if the stock trans cooler is sufficient. A trans temp gage will let you know what is really happening.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
I change tranny fluid same time I change engine oil...never had a problem
geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
E450 Transmission Cooler

We have a 32 foot Class C on a 2010 Ford E450 chassis. We always tow a 4000 pound SUV and have a combined weight of about 18000 pounds. We've towed many miles in the Rockies. When it had 40,000 miles on it I changed the trans fluid and filter for the first time and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. Their tests showed transmission wear expected at 30,000 miles. It has the stock cooler and I have no transmission fluid temperature gauge. In my experience the stock cooler is adequate.
ramblerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Tow a Toyota 4runner with a E450 31', added a Scangauge so I can see the Trans temp. Have towed several pass' s in the west so talking 5000+ feet and long hauls also the Grapevine and not a problem. Temp does come up but not to high level for concern. I just changed the fluid at 30000 as the bible tells one to do so. I don't have a connection to Scan gauge but do advise its addition to the instrument panel as it reads all the dash plus many more gauges that are read and useby the modern computer driven motors. Reads real digital temps not a needle. Plug and play no install cost. Run in the $150 area, don't leave home without it.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote