Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Smile E350 ford chassis motorhome suspension issues

I am posting what I did to improve handling for my 24 foot tioga motorhome. It's a 92 and I bought it with low mileage less than 45,000 a few years ago. It wandered and bobbed to the point of being difficult to drive. I first replaced all four shocks, not much help. Replaced front steering stablizer. Added a helwig rear sway bar that helped a lot. Added front firestone air bags which helped some, but raised front which made rear sag more. I last added firestone ride rite air bags on the rear. This leveled the rig and with the bags front and rear the ride is firm enough to handle well even with the severe winds in the columbia gorge where I live. A lot of work and $$ to make it drive well. Maybe this will help someone that has similar issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Thanks for the information. I'm sure others will benefit from it.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Is this a Ford or Chevy chassis?

In either case, in addition to your advice, one should also research front end Caster in their quest for improved handling.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Is this a Ford or Chevy chassis?.
I'll refer to the title: " E350 ford chassis"

First thing I would do is check the front end components for age/wobble. 45k doesn't mean much... Tie rod ends, steering joints, etc - make sure everything is tight.

Next step - order caster bushings.

Next step - have it aligned, preferably while loaded. As the shop to use the caster bushings to push toward the positive range in the Ford spec.

Report back.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

River walker

It's a ford E350. Yes I had the alignment checked a couple of years ago. Probably should have it checked again.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Similar problem with a E150 conversion van

My father-in-law has a 96 conversion van that had the similar problems. I had him take it in for an alignment and they found all the front end bushings worn out. They replaced them and then aligned the front end. It make a big difference.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

Fixes for suspension

I bought my used Tioga 31M a couple years ago, it had a slight lean and was a bit sloppy when driving. It was equipped with a 1" and 1/2 Roadmaster anti-sway bar. I replaced the tires with Goodyear G647 's, and took the RV to a large truck shop. They replaced the shocks (wanted Bilsteins, but just wet with heavy Monroe). This things all made a small difference, but the largest improvement was them adding another leaf to the suspension (new U-bolts had to be fabricated). The back end sits a few inches higher, and the ride is a little more stiff, however the coach does not lean, and drives so easily. It handles like most cars, and is easily driven with one hand, even in windy conditions.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #8

x2 above. Did the same thing with my 30 foot. Added leaf on each side, raising the rear 2 inches, added Bilsteins and had it aligned at a truck shop. Handles very well considering it is a big box on wheels.

Tags
chassis, ford, motorhome, suspension